Tourists to be evacuated from Haiti due to protests

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For awhile now the answer to the question "is it safe to travel to Haiti" has been a clear No.

I was surprised to learn that a travel company was offering trips to a resort in Haiti and even more surprised that people would purchase these trips, apparently without doing any research at all on the destination and the current daily reality in the country.

Just goes to show that clueless tourists will go anywhere if the price is right.

I am not a big supporter of individuals being able to sue companies because the individual is stupid. However, in this case, I hope the tour operator is buried by claims as they (the company) made the reckless decision to send customers to Haiti.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
That place is cursed. All the financial aid given to that country is a waste in my opinion. They will never change.
Why? Who is "they?" How are they different than others? I thought it was the oldest democracy in the hemisphere.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm confident that a review of the democratic process in Haiti would conclude that "democracy" in that country is not alive and well and the continued use of that word to describe Haiti's political reality is a stretch.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That place is cursed. All the financial aid given to that country is a waste in my opinion. They will never change.

I have a neighbor that spent 5 years in Haiti with his wife trying to help. We have had this very discussion. He insists that nothing will change there for the good unless all of the people there are changed for new people. Otherwise it will not get better.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
One of the main issues in Haiti - that could indeed be fixed - is that it does not allow dual citizenship after the age of 18. There are 2 million Haitians abroad who send home an amount equal to 1/4 of its GDP. But they can not vote. (The French in the DR regularly vote in French elections)

And - no - Haiti is not this hemisphere's oldest "democracy" - they were the second oldest "independent nation" 15 years after the USA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One of the main issues in Haiti - that could indeed be fixed - is that it does not allow dual citizenship after the age of 18. There are 2 million Haitians abroad who send home an amount equal to 1/4 of its GDP. But they can not vote. (The French in the DR regularly vote in French elections)
What % of Haitians abroad are dual citizens? I'll bet the number ios small.

Can Haitian citizens not living in Haiti vote?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why? Who is "they?" How are they different than others? I thought it was the oldest democracy in the hemisphere.

Oldest democracy and Haiti don’t go in the same sentence. Haiti was born an empire (remember that their father and first president self proclaimed himself as emperor for life and had the right to deflower the virgins in every town he passed through -it is said that Dessalines left hundreds of children all over Haiti-). For a time half of the country broke off and became a kingdom (and the self-proclaimed king was also a for life thing). A few more emperors and a few dictators rose up as time went on. Haiti didn’t even pretended to be a democracy for much of its life as an independent country.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

They is Haïti.
They have received aid after aid, and are still the poorest latin-american country.
We have used haitians for our constructions, observing them, if they are all like this,no wonder it is not progressing.
If there voodoo (cursed...) has to do with it...

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
They is Haïti.
They have received aid after aid, and are still the poorest latin-american country.
We have used haitians for our constructions, observing them, if they are all like this,no wonder it is not progressing.
They certainty be.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
No logic. No science. No discussion.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

No amount of money will fix that place. It was actually a lot better when Baby Doc was in charge. Tell me of one President sense Baby Doc that did not steal and then leave......I'll wait

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Yes it is. It is also the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Haiti continually takes one step forward and two steps back. This country literally has been raped. The land and forests have been decimated for charcoal. The people have been mistreated and beaten down. Over the years politicians have abused their power and stolen most of the assets. That being said, the Haitian people seem like some of the most optimistic and resilient folks on the planet. Despite everything that happens in Haiti they always seem to land on their feet. Life goes on and most likely this Haitian roller coaster ride will continue as it always has. Maybe another Francois Toissaint L'Ouverture will come along and start a new revolution and a better way of life for the Haitian people.

Last edited:

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Of course. The people are all victims

9acd6d97dbf775e53ff1d8fcef5f8885.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They is Haïti.

have you used Haitian college graduates for your constructions? do you think they would be the human equivalents of the people you use to mix concrete?

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Yes it is. It is also the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Haiti continually takes one step forward and two steps back. This country literally has been raped. The land and forests have been decimated for charcoal. The people have been mistreated and beaten down. Over the years politicians have abused their power and stolen most of the assets. That being said, the Haitian people seem like some of the most optimistic and resilient folks on the planet. Despite everything that happens in Haiti they always seem to land on their feet. Life goes on and most likely this Haitian roller coaster ride will continue as it always has. Maybe another Francois Toissaint L'Ouverture will come along and start a new revolution and a better way of life for the Haitian people.
Perhaps another leader like Jean-Jacques Dessalines would help.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They is Haïti.

Actually I have thought the opposite; wondering how such hardworking industrious people can have such a failure of a country. We have a number of Haitian kids in the school and they are no different than Dominican kids, some are very intelligent and quick to learn, others normal, and some slow ( just like kids everywhere). Many of them are baptists, evangelicals, and even catholic. I have a Haitian physiotherapist, and she speaks pasable English.
I guess if there were easy answers on how Haiti can become a normal country with a government that functions properly it would been done by now. I don't pretend to know the answers, but I do know individual Haitians are normal people.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Perhaps normal for Haitians but I do not see that as being equivalent compared to normal for people from other countries. Sure 10 fingers, 10 toes but the attitudes, beliefs, customs and individual ideologies differ greatly from most other places.

Work ethic - basic survival can be hard work in a place of adversity, but I suspect that alone does not produce a different kind of person. In any group there are those who work harder, smarter and more effectively than others.

I'm confident that a good many Haitians can see a path to a better Haiti. Thus far no one has chosen to do what needs to be done and has been unable to rally the people to follow them down that tumultuous path. They continue to reap what they sow because they are reluctant to change course hoping for an easier solution to be handed to them rather than usurping the ability to govern from those who will try hard to hang on to it. Apparently Haitians aren't desperate enough just yet.