It's a Start

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I just think the whole business of cleaning a car's windshield and moving the wipers (which if not done correctly could bend them) should be stopped - period. I have paid these guys but no more, I act like I am looking for change and just wait till the light turns green and off I go

If I want my windshield cleaned I'll yell for you to come over.

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=29237

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I just think the whole business of cleaning a car's windshield and moving the wipers (which if not done correctly could bend them) should be stopped - period. I have paid these guys but no more, I act like I am looking for change and just wait till the light turns green and off I go

Dont act like you are looking for change !

I just say NO.
If they insist go for a " vete paja muchacho "

Works wonders.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dont act like you are looking for change !

I just say NO.
If they insist go for a " vete paja muchacho "

Works wonders.

Do you say know after they already squirted soapy water on your windshield ?
Cause they run and squirt from two sides often and they aren't going to listen

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
post deleted by a mod for the lack of DR content. infraction given.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Thyat job comes with some hazards.

Didn't a windshield washer get blown away by a Colombian in StoDgo a couple of years ago?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Do you say know after they already squirted soapy water on your windshield ?
Cause they run and squirt from two sides often and they aren't going to listen

Yes, I try and run them off before...... however if do get a squirt on the windscreen, i gave a blast of water from my thingies and that also sets off the wipers, they always get the idea and continue on to the next vict....errr client. ;).

It is in fact a delicat compromise, those vendors at the lights are useful at times for phone cards, water bottles, chewingum, nuts, etc...... i even changed my windscreen wipers once ! ( i was at santiago, and it was pouring, and my wipers were leaving streaks all over my windscreen ).

On the other hand, i have yet to meet visitors of mine that appreciate seeing me fend off the washers, and i guess it applies to most tourists.
Some of them prefer not to cross POP after their first experience....... they are, after, all here for a beach/relax type holiday, and washers dont fit in the pittoresque postcard.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Although they are a pain, I usually give them a few pesos. At least they are working for their money, not robbing people for it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If these chaps were going door to door asking if homeowners would like their house windows washed, I'd call that a job. Running out into traffic, gooping up windscreens before ascertaining if the driver would like to partake of their service offering is just being a bully and taking advantage of someone who cannot get away. They are predators playing a game of odds - making it easier to toss them some cheese rather than to risk a confrontation or damage to the vehicle.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
some of them can throw that sponge better then Tom Brady can throw a football
But not as well as my elderly wheelchair bound high school calculus teacher could throw a chalkboard eraser across the room.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I agree,they are a pain in the ass but at least they are trying to earn their keep instead of begging or stealing.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Lol, I am probably one of the only ones that like them. If my windshield is dirty, I always pass through there. They come up, before the start I always say I don't have money, they start cleaning it anyways and when they are done I tell them again that I don't have any money on me and that I warned them in advance, but that I will give them something next time.....
5 years now that I have a clean window without paying.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What really irks me is right after I have had my car completly washed these leeches (don't call the workers) pop out from behind their parked cars and peer into the windows looking for who might have cash to pay - they don't go to taxis or 1998 Corollas.

No this window washing/dirty sponge/squeegee is a trade developed in Latin America by quick-hit lazy arses.

The guy selling wiper blades is different - but they are poor quality and he likely doesn't know how to change some of the tougher clips nor has the clip adapters - and likely not enough time unless you pull to the curb and futz with it for 15 minutes