Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to Build a Home

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    If you can figure a way to get ahold of Chip, he would be a great help to you. He's ex-military civil engineer. https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...xleCsLBa2qNSw-

2. Likes malko liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

After pouring a concrete roof, keep it most for at least 7 days for better curing, less likelihood of water filtration after completion.

In the past some builders have a tendency to pour the roof, then walk away for a week or more.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...2&action=click
    Clown Central

Be Serious

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    After pouring a concrete roof, keep it most for at least 7 days for better curing, less likelihood of water filtration after completion.

In the past some builders have a tendency to pour the roof, then walk away for a week or more.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...2&action=click
    "Most" important is keeping it "moist" as well. Water it as indicated. http://www.maxtulsa.com/webroot/blog...quality-slabs/

PS.... What's better than catching Donny in a typo?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We did quite a lot of our construction using reinforced foam panels from M2, and I have noticed that quite a lot of builders use them on projects here. They are very good at keeping the heat and sound out, and quick to build with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58j_QVPSjSg

6. Likes scotia liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    We did quite a lot of our construction using reinforced foam panels from M2, and I have noticed that quite a lot of builders use them on projects here. They are very good at keeping the heat and sound out, and quick to build with.
    But more expensive.

That was what we were discussing previously about sticking with tried and true methods. Materials that are readily available, so they are also less expensive. And the same thing with the local labor (using those same materials), plentiful and less expensive.

If you want to insulate, the best place to do that (when using masonry/concrete) is on the exterior. That way you benefit from the ready made "heat sink" mass of concrete. The masonry/concrete act like a giant flywheel, helping you thru the hottest part of the day.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    But more expensive.

That was what we were discussing previously about sticking with tried and true methods. Materials that are readily available, so they are also less expensive. And the same thing with the local labor (using those same materials), plentiful and less expensive.
    I can't imagine that using foam panels can be THAT much more expensive,Casa Linda will build you a home using either foam panels or traditional concrete for the same price,your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience you need a very strict maestro / project manager.

Those beautiful, detailed architects drawings will otherwise become a rough guide to the builder who may not be able to read.

In 4 houses of the same design I found the main roof pillar move by up to 1.5 m from its intended position, light switches appear to be randomly positioned, and the patio on most was graded incorrectly meaning water ingress every time it rains.

I'm fact my house was built several meters away from where it was marked out by myself.

Take care and if at all.possible be there checking every detail at every step.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Figured out the price yet? My guess not! Trying to appraise Realestate here is like knowing that Amazon was going to be worth what it is today 10 years ago that being the case always test the waters rent before you buy!
    We found a place on the north shore using the Dominican Republic Advisory Group. They where helpful but no one can really say hey this is going to be worth this much and when. Caviat Emptor!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12