Looking to Build a Home

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
We're looking to build a home in the Santiago area. Fortunately, we already have the land which I
heard has increased in value.

Nothing fancy...we're budgeting 50k USD. Hopefully it's doable:nervous:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In this country as is the case elsewhere, you do not always get what you pay for. It is important to know what you want and to make sure that the builder knows what you want before you turn them loose to create their vision of what they think they can get away with as they look to maximize their profit margin.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There is or was a guy on here named chip that might help.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Should be do-able. Good luck.

My advice - make your design with plans to insulate later on the exterior. You can later do a section at a time and also do it yourself. Makes for a much more comfortable interior and big savings on AC.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Listen to the Dominicans and try and do things "the way they are back home". There is a reason for doing things the Dominican way! We have a space between the roof and the wall so all of the hot air escapes. Not only do we not need aircon, we have no fans either - the house is cool (well we are at 1500 feet which helps). Termites eat wood - even supposed treated wood - as I discovered when I insisted on a wooden staircase rather than a concrete one. Make sure the house is earthed (something to do with a hole, salt and a metal stick). Get all of your permissions in place from the local authority to save problems and major bribes down the road. Stick to the law re your construction workers in terms of working hours, payment levels, payment dates and insurance. First stage is to get a good maestro. Where is Chip when you need him??!!

Matilda

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I meant don't try to do things as they are done back home!

Matilda

I understood what you meant. And you are correct. When building anywhere, you use formulas and methods that have already stood the test of time in that environment and with materials that are readily available.
Which in the DR, is masonry and concrete.

The plastic soda bottle houses are just plain silly.

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
Thank You all for your worthy advice
All the Blessings
Much Appreciated!

SteveK
MAJ, US Army
Retired

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
After pouring a concrete roof, keep it most for at least 7 days for better curing, less likelihood of water filtration after completion.

In the past some builders have a tendency to pour the roof, then walk away for a week or more.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...contech/curing_fig1.jpg?sfvrsn=2&action=click
"Most" important is keeping it "moist" as well. Water it as indicated. http://www.maxtulsa.com/webroot/blog/the-basics-of-concrete-curing-for-higher-quality-slabs/

PS.... What's better than catching Donny in a typo?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
We did quite a lot of our construction using reinforced foam panels from M2, and I have noticed that quite a lot of builders use them on projects here. They are very good at keeping the heat and sound out, and quick to build with.

But more expensive.

That was what we were discussing previously about sticking with tried and true methods. Materials that are readily available, so they are also less expensive. And the same thing with the local labor (using those same materials), plentiful and less expensive.

If you want to insulate, the best place to do that (when using masonry/concrete) is on the exterior. That way you benefit from the ready made "heat sink" mass of concrete. The masonry/concrete act like a giant flywheel, helping you thru the hottest part of the day.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
But more expensive.

That was what we were discussing previously about sticking with tried and true methods. Materials that are readily available, so they are also less expensive. And the same thing with the local labor (using those same materials), plentiful and less expensive.
I can't imagine that using foam panels can be THAT much more expensive,Casa Linda will build you a home using either foam panels or traditional concrete for the same price,your choice.

rlthomasesq

Dec 25, 2018
In my experience you need a very strict maestro / project manager.

Those beautiful, detailed architects drawings will otherwise become a rough guide to the builder who may not be able to read.

In 4 houses of the same design I found the main roof pillar move by up to 1.5 m from its intended position, light switches appear to be randomly positioned, and the patio on most was graded incorrectly meaning water ingress every time it rains.

I'm fact my house was built several meters away from where it was marked out by myself.

Take care and if at all.possible be there checking every detail at every step.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Johnnny1959

Jan 15, 2019
Figured out the price yet? My guess not! Trying to appraise Realestate here is like knowing that Amazon was going to be worth what it is today 10 years ago that being the case always test the waters rent before you buy!
We found a place on the north shore using the Dominican Republic Advisory Group. They where helpful but no one can really say hey this is going to be worth this much and when. Caviat Emptor!