dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
some bad good news for the NC: the government announced the plan to fix PP-nagua road.
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=29149
now the traffic coming in and out of PP will be hell no matter which road you take.

Overall, I'd say that's great news! It's about time. Sorely needed.

It should be finished by summer 2020. You can always count on things like this getting done right before an election. The politicos here love ribbon-cutting ceremonies and foto shoots.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we have billboards roadside advertising that new road..... a promotion thing

unlike the billboard in the article... ours reads local... RSJ to Nagua
they must be personalized

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I drove yesterday from Puerto Plata to Santiago. Serious Progress has been made on this road . It seems to me that if they continue at this pace it will be finished and really nice in about a year. That would be great!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would sure hope some serious progress has been made on the stretch of highway. They've been working on it for over two years now!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Moving Electrical, Widening Road and cutting trees

I don't know how much road the DR government is widening but they are busy taking out the trees on the Northeast side towards Sosua and the electric contractors are working moving lines on the other side of the road.
Plus surveyors were working all the way to Cangrejo Bridge, and trees being topped in front of the Base.

Some nice old trees will be missed.

Of course Cangrejo would be tough to widen without demolishing businesses, but maybe with the proposed new port for cruise ships they want a better/wider road ?

And it means many of us are without power. Don't know if my batteries will last till the end of the day which is when I expect power to be restored.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
By the time they finish such a long stretch of road, it'll be time to start again. Poor asphalt, poor engineering, overload trucks and poor ongoing repairs ensures that roads in this country get really bad before they temporarily get better.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By the time they finish such a long stretch of road, it'll be time to start again. Poor asphalt, poor engineering, overload trucks and poor ongoing repairs ensures that roads in this country get really bad before they temporarily get better.

You will be correct if history repeats itself and it usually does here.

I am shocked, beyond amazed, that someone thinks the road improvements from Puerto Plata towards Santiago could be completed in as little as a year or two. Time will tell.

I wonder what widening the road in Congrejo has to do with Cruise Ships in POP?
Thousands of people from the cruises are going to go on four wheeler tours so they need the road to be wider?
I don't expect much from cruise ships and all but a few select local businesses tied tightly to the Cruise companies to
do well.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You will be correct if history repeats itself and it usually does here.

I am shocked, beyond amazed, that someone thinks the road improvements from Puerto Plata towards Santiago could be completed in as little as a year or two. Time will tell.

Thousands of people from the cruises are going to go on four wheeler tours so they need the road to be wider?
I don't expect much from cruise ships and all but a few select local businesses tied tightly to the Cruise companies to
do well.

It took 2 years + for it, but some sections of the Imbert-Navarrete road are finally finished, they laid down the asphalt.
It seems to me, that for once, it looks like a nicely-ish sturdy made road, not the usall " a bit of earth, 2 cm of concrete, 2 cm of asphalt ", but i guess time will tell.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

judging by the fact that the opening of the amber cove did not motivate the government enough to finish even that short stretch between maimon and PP - i doubt it. we are getting closer to presidential elections tho, time to start securing votes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
judging by the fact that the opening of the amber cove did not motivate the government enough to finish even that short stretch between maimon and PP - i doubt it. we are getting closer to presidential elections tho, time to start securing votes.

Before the last election, they paved one way of the main/only road from our house to San Cristobal. Mr AE was talking to his brother about the half-job, wondering when they’d do the other lane. Brother told him, “right before the next election”. :)

dom

Jun 1, 2011
[video=youtube;41dHpgKtR_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41dHpgKtR_o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
WOW...Great video..Thank you dom. Road looks great...someone just told be it was good but great to see it. Definitely using it next time I go to Santiago!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The Widening has begun

Well I am curious to see if this drags on for 8-9 years like the road from POP to Imbert and still not finished and looks like heck.

But $10 million must be a down payment becuase it will not begin to cover costs all the way to Nagua.
Lots of poles to move and property to be purchased or demolished but if they just get Cabarete to POP done that will make everyone's lives better

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...Fam2S7tkUo7CYS1g9VcIFNWRPY-7bRkoYO7iMm489Gvow

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What does "widening" actually mean in the context of the areas with business located right on the road.

I guess no bypass of Cabarete is in this, so how will that help the problem in town?

Imagine all of the power outages as they move the transmission lines to make way for the widening.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What does "widening" actually mean in the context of the areas with business located right on the road.

I guess no bypass of Cabarete is in this, so how will that help the problem in town?

Imagine all of the power outages as they move the transmission lines to make way for the widening.

Yes and Cangrejo has businesses and a two lane bridge.
I suspect Cabarete continues to be a choke point forever with even more traffic and noise.
I just wish Cabarete had parking.
I quit going because of that

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are quite a few paid parking lots, but except for the one alongside Scotia Bank, if you blink, you'll miss them. 30 pesos/hr during the day and 100 pesos unlimited at night.