Brake Lights - Is it me?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lately I've noticed lots of new looking and expensive vehicles without working break lights. I can accept that for a period of time, one can drive with a burned out bulb before you realize it needs to be replaced. I can even accept that occasionally, an electrical fault or blown fuse can cut off both brake lights. Usually when there is a fault your turn signal indicator blinks funny.

Is there a reason or a misconception that would prompt the locals to intentionally disable their break lights on these newish looking vehicles? it seems there are far too many on the road with no working brake lights for it to be a coincidence.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It's a misunderstanding, either Auto-correct or Google translation...

Translation error from English to Spanish.

English: BRAKE LIGHT - a light that illuminates when the brakes are applied.

Spanish Misinterpretation Translation: BREAK LIGHT - to break the light.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I learned early on to assume the vehicle in front of me does not have working lights of any kind.

I also learned to realize that that one headlight coming toward you at night is not always a motorcycle.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It just seems to me that the number of newish high end vehicles with both brake lights out at the same time seems to be too numerous to be just a coincidence. I can't see any reason to do this deliberately, and can't understand why so many don't bother to get it fixed. It's a Lexus buddy not a Daihatsu! Resale value is higher if the rear end isn't all caved in.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lately I've noticed lots of new looking and expensive vehicles without working break lights. I can accept that for a period of time, one can drive with a burned out bulb before you realize it needs to be replaced. I can even accept that occasionally, an electrical fault or blown fuse can cut off both brake lights. Usually when there is a fault your turn signal indicator blinks funny.

Is there a reason or a misconception that would prompt the locals to intentionally disable their break lights on these newish looking vehicles? it seems there are far too many on the road with no working brake lights for it to be a coincidence.

I just assume it's for the same reason as when they disconnect lights on a new motorcycle. To stop 'wasting' electricity.

Jul 28, 2014
I learned early on to assume the vehicle in front of me does not have working lights of any kind.

I also learned to realize that that one headlight coming toward you at night is not always a motorcycle.

What are these "headlights" you refer to?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the DR people often buy all the car they can barely afford so there is nothing left to do unnecessary repairs that do not have anything to do with the car starting up and moving.

First thing I look for when I am behind another vehicle is the brake lights.
Being a person who does not pay attention I need all the help I can get to stop in time.
Especially true when I do not have the "its green" person to tell me what to do when driving.
As far as night I make every effort not to drive.
Bad things can happen in the dark.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Speaking of cars and brake lights and strange behavior. Not to hi jack the thread.
Does anyone know why Dominican people always walk behind cars?
Even if I am in reverse and the reverse lights are on folks will walk walk behind my car.
It happens so often I am even starting to get used to it as normal behavior.
Could it be they think i am a great driver and will not run them over?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The lawyer extortion scam works just as well when throwing oneself behind a vehicle as it does in front of one. The difference being the speed is usually lower so that the chances of surviving to collect is substantially higher.