Insane Headlight(s)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Future Darwin award for stupidity perhaps...

Note that the driver also takes the extra precaution to beep the horn to let others know he's there.

I guess the driver does not understand the danger of blinding on-coming traffic.

[video=youtube_share;G1DBL4S26lM]https://youtu.be/G1DBL4S26lM[/video]

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's the Dominican affliction "Look at me". Also why they carry around the biggest speakers that will fit in thier trunk and turn them up full volume

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Note that the driver also takes the extra precaution to beep the horn to let others know he's there.

I guess the driver does not understand the danger of blinding on-coming traffic.

future winner?

why future?

what's delaying the award?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Not really sure what you are complaining about in this video. Many motor bike drivers who are on the roads at night don't even have lights. This guy wants to be sure you see him coming and you're not happy with the brightness of his one light in an area where I don't see any on coming traffic???????? Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that stroboscope light could induce epilepsy. why not just regular lamp? be it as bright as possible. but the flashing? that ain't helping the visibility, really.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Like many motos here, it probably doesn't even have a working rear light. I have lost count of the number of near misses I have had, suddenly coming up behind an unlit moto on an unlit road.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

The flickering light keeps him awake...

Beeping the horn is his "sonar-system" :bunny:

I guess the driver has no clue...about absolutely nothing...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is one of my biggest pet peeves here - insanely bright headlights and drivers that refuse to dim them. They leave them on even driving through the center of Cabarete where there is no need at all to use them.

And now they're adding these superbright LED grill lights. They're so bright they're even hard to look at in the middle of the day.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Remember the law they passed a few months against the LED light bars? They're popping up all over the place again.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Not really sure what you are complaining about in this video. Many motor bike drivers who are on the roads at night don't even have lights. This guy wants to be sure you see him coming and you're not happy with the brightness of his one light in an area where I don't see any on coming traffic???????? Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's coming from an isolated, limited homes (10-12 homes) area at the top of a hill.

He's heading down the hill to the main traffic area.

Lights at night are great.

Over-bright LED lights blinds other drivers.

Rapid flashing, over-bright LED lights would be extremely blinding to on-coming traffic.

Notice the time in the video, 7 minutes till 9 pm.

Many roadways in the D.R. are dark, the lights on that bike would make it near impossible for on-coming traffic to see the roadway clearly. Chances of hitting someone or something would be greatly increased.

More probability of someone hitting those bikes with no lights by the on-coming traffic.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is a new law on the books outlawing these bright non factory installed LED lights and light bars on vehicles using the public roads. Maybe write your Deputado and ask that he law be enforced. :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There is a new law on the books outlawing these bright non factory installed LED lights and light bars on vehicles using the public roads. Maybe write your Deputado and ask that he law be enforced. :)

Your response should be in the "Clown Bin"..... lol

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Remember the law they passed a few months against the LED light bars? They're popping up all over the place again.

Yes, like so many vehicle laws here, it was enforced zealously for a month or so, with people having the light bars physically removed by AMET. After the initial excitement it all gets forgotten. Anybody remember the panic about the need to carry fire extinguisher, first aid kit etc a couple of years ago?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
He's coming from an isolated, limited homes (10-12 homes) area at the top of a hill.

He's heading down the hill to the main traffic area.

Lights at night are great.

Over-bright LED lights blinds other drivers.

Rapid flashing, over-bright LED lights would be extremely blinding to on-coming traffic.

Notice the time in the video, 7 minutes till 9 pm.

Many roadways in the D.R. are dark, the lights on that bike would make it near impossible for on-coming traffic to see the roadway clearly. Chances of hitting someone or something would be greatly increased.

More probability of someone hitting those bikes with no lights by the on-coming traffic.

Quite a few motorcycles have them in San Cristobal. The flashing exacerbates the effect they have on your eyes.

At night they effectively blind me to the point I have to come to a near stop and look away.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've been right behind these motos with the flashing bright lights on a dark street and it doesn't improve the visibility for the moto drivers either. Everything has a strobe effect from their point of view. Really idiotic.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This guy has no idea of what epilepsy is. At least he has a light.
I am amazed how fast the DR got rid of the super bright light bars.
As a defensive mode and maybe a little of mine is bigger than yours I invested in two light bars that made the oncoming not lowering their lights type of drivers eyes bleed.
I aimed one bar normal and the other much higher for effect.
Only a very very few, probably drunk, did not lower their lights.
Then I had to take them off per the cops.
Turning night into day was fun while it lasted.
I replaced the cars normal light bulbs with hi powered ones but they cannot compare to the light bars.
On dark lonely mountain roads they were great. I could go pretty fast and not out drive my lights.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I carry a 1200 lumen Cree torch LED flashlight with strobe. Pretty effective at getting idiots to dim their lights.