Rocky beach in Sosua

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Winter waves have washed away most of the beach sand from Sosua Beach.
What was a lovely beach for an afternoon swim is gone.
I have not read anything about it. Did I miss it?
I know the city does not care and it wants to replace the beach front with hotels that generate income for Sosua.

Other issue is the danger. The rocks are very very slippery and it is very dangerous to try and walk out on the rocks.
I asked a friend who has a beach bar if there was a safer path to the water in front of his bar. He showed me where to go and as I watched him he fell hard and fast on the rocks. Lucky to not get severely hurt.
If you go to the beach try the gringo end as that is where all the sand ended up.
I suppose the idea of dredging sand to restore the beach is not in the realm of possibility.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
IIRC the “big shift” in the sand happened in the fall of 2017 as a result of the back to back hurricanes (Irene/Maria) that brushed the island. The sand from the Charamicos (West) end of the beach washed up on the El Batey (East) end.

Before the storms, the boat launch ramp at the far east end actually went into the water. Now there’s maybe 100 meters of new sand between it and the sea.

Conversely the west end is now all exposed rock/coral from the waters edge to the sea wall.

Something similar happened at Playa Alicia. But it recovered pretty quickly and now has more sand than before the storms.

Mother Nature can be fickle.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
IIRC the “big shift” in the sand happened in the fall of 2017 as a result of the back to back hurricanes (Irene/Maria) that brushed the island. The sand from the Charamicos (West) end of the beach washed up on the El Batey (East) end.

Before the storms, the boat launch ramp at the far east end actually went into the water. Now there’s maybe 100 meters of new sand between it and the sea.

Conversely the west end is now all exposed rock/coral from the waters edge to the sea wall.

Something similar happened at Playa Alicia. But it recovered pretty quickly and now has more sand than before the storms.

Mother Nature can be fickle.

There was a slight shift after the Hurricanes. The big shift happened the following March when we had five days of the relentless waves. That's when the whole new beach appeared on the northern side and all but disappeared on the Charimicos side. Fortunately some sand is returning to that end.

Edit- Playa Alicia took a pounding during the Hurricanes. Lost more than half the beach.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The hurricanes weren't the reason for the sand shift in Sosua beach, I was there for both (and the one in Houston, I know, how lucky I was that year... !) and I went to the beach right after, it was fine....

We discussed this before, it probably is a few day's work to shift some sand with some trucks, but that is way beyond local authority of Sosua, they have so much on their hand chasing chicas out of town, no time for anything else, 9 years and still ongoing .... lol

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
One of the server guys who works for a restaurant. His bar made an effort to sweep the slipperiness off the rocks in front of the business and I thought it might not be too bad. He went into the water to demonstrate the safety of the rocky path then fell hard. Name is Samboy.
From talking to some of the beach vendors and employees they see a number of people falling every day the weather is good for the beach.
Not me. Those rocks are slippery like ice. You go down hard and fast.
I go to the gringo end to swim.
This is solid evidence that god loves gringos.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I guess you discovered the reason you married her...

I pay close attention to what is important to her and that is why we are very happily married after 15 years.
How many gringos have that going on in a marriage with a 31 year age difference?
When i suggested we walk across the rocks to go for a swim her response was" I am not and neither are you".
Beautiful, smart and keeps me from doing dumb stuff.
If I want to make her laugh I open with "hey! I have a great idea".