Warning: DIGESETT rips off again at the Playero traffic light in Sosua

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
My wife was the day before yesterday victim of the infamous actions. She was accused of driving across a red light and she received a traffic ticket. She has assured me that she drove high and holy with green over the traffic light and I believe her because she is an extremely defensive driver. The same thing happened to me about 3 ½ years ago and I am absolutely sure that the traffic light was green. And they even illegally took my car keys and only handed them back to me when I presented the payment receipt.

Yesterday we had a very serious conversation with the new leader of Sosua Sra. Emailin Garabito Adams and accused her of being ripped off with criminal actions. (There were warnings in Sosua-news earlier last year also of these infamous actions, but it looks like they haven’t stopped it). We had no success because she rejected as expected all guilt.

We are now seriously considering taking the following further measures.
- Complaint to DIGESETT Director General Garcia
- Complaint to linea 311 (central civil complaints office)
- Complaint to the German Embassy (collects offences against German citizens and then presents them to the D.R. Ambassador at certain intervals if relevant)

The whole thing is planned as a community complaint, since one can usually do relatively little alone, especially against such malignant organizations that believe they are God.

Who experienced something similar at the Playero traffic light in Sosua? When, what happened? The more data we have the easier it is to find out who are these malignant persons.

Who would be part of this community action please boardmail me. For this I need complete name, day of action (if not remember mouth and year), if possible approximate time, and can co-driver thing testify.

One person has relatively little chance of achieving anything (my 20 years of D.R. experience), but together we can achieve more. The goal is to remove the dubious officials.

I hope you fight with us to show them that they can't do everything with us and rip us off as they please!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Just so I can picture the circumstances better:

1) Was your wife driving east towards Cabarete or West towards the airport?
2) Was your wife driving straight through the intersection or turning into Playero?

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
Just so I can picture the circumstances better:

1) Was your wife driving east towards Cabarete or West towards the airport?
2) Was your wife driving straight through the intersection or turning into Playero?

She was driving from the old Playero turning left in direction Cabarete and where stopped at the entrance off the police station.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I do not know the intersection involved but the following is "enforced" by DIGESETT in the D.R regarding turning left at a traffic light. (I live in Santiago)

Contrary to traffic laws in other countries:

Even though there is a GREEN round light,

... a left turn is illegal if the traffic signal has a GREEN arrow

... ... and the GREEN arrow is not lit.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's what I was thinking when I asked my questions above. I see lots of people making that turn into Playero when they shouldn't. The light this driver would have seen coming from where she was is just a single green, albeit a short one.

The didgeridoos often can't easily see the light in question from where they stand so I assume are using the first vehicle to leave playero and turn left towards Charamicos as the indication that the light in question has changed to red. As we all know, those who won't stop for a light are the same ones who are impatient and have no problem jumping a green. Maybe this driver got caught by an assumption.

To be fair, it is not uncommon for one or two extra cars to ignore the short light change and make a dash left onto Hwy 5 heading east. With everyone at that intersection revving to go, many times I see the "jackrabbits" having to avoid the "wait for me" drivers.

Send the wife in to do the groceries and just stand in the parking lot with a fria, the antics that take place at that intersection are mind boggling.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
I do not know the intersection involved but the following is "enforced" by DIGESETT in the D.R regarding turning left at a traffic light. (I live in Santiago)

there are only round lights, NO arrows, we know this place very well! If the light is green only this drivers are allowed to drive.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
1) That's what I was thinking when I asked my questions above. I see lots of people making that turn into Playero when they shouldn't. The light this driver would have seen coming from where she was is just a single green, albeit a short one.

2) The didgeridoos often can't easily see the light in question from where they stand so I assume are using the first vehicle to leave playero and turn left towards Charamicos as the indication that the light in question has changed to red. As we all know, those who won't stop for a light are the same ones who are impatient and have no problem jumping a green. Maybe this driver got caught by an assumption.
1) This case is different because my wife came from the old Playero and not from direction Cabarete.
2) A other thing is, it is impossible to see light from the place were they are allways standing, there is a 90 degree angle, absolutely no chance on the day and the distance are 90 m. We have cheked it.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
Thats why I always have my dashcam on.

I am thinking about that also, in this country it is really needed necessary to fight these rip-offs. Foreigners are of course popular victims because many do not dare to defend themselves or simply can not speak enough Spanish.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Having a Dash Cam is nice, but has anyone here taken it to court and got results?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
It is strange that the officer standing at the police station and giving tickets for traffic light that is at quite a distance... !

I am wondering if he was not looking at all, and thought your wife was coming straight from POP and jumped the light, not realising she was coming basically from the beach road and turning left for Cabarete ... !? Did she explained that clearly....

I think you should go ahead and make your complaint, hard to find others, just do it alone, the least it makes you feel better, even if they take no action - most probable outcome.... ! (and you will be famous... good or bad I don't know !?)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Having a Dash Cam is nice, but has anyone here taken it to court and got results?

miesposo was stopped at the lights to be ticketed for crossing on the red. he said he had a dash cam. amet reported to the supervisor: "tiene la camara" and was told to view the recording. they did check it on the spot to find out miesposo crossed on yellow. no ticket. it also came in handy when arguing about few minor scratches.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
I am wondering if he was not looking at all, and thought your wife was coming straight from POP and jumped the light, not realising she was coming basically from the beach road and turning left for Cabarete ... !? Did she explained that clearly....
he claimed that she confused the traffic light with the pedestrian traffic light, which would have been green (pedestrian traffic light is not directly in the field of vision because about 10m laterally offset). One must come to such a reason first of all. completely GAGA

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
miesposo was stopped at the lights to be ticketed for crossing on the red. he said he had a dash cam. amet reported to the supervisor: "tiene la camara" and was told to view the recording. they did check it on the spot to find out miesposo crossed on yellow. no ticket. it also came in handy when arguing about few minor scratches.

very interesting!!
was it on the same place?
When?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There's almost always AMET officers right at the light at Playero and they have walkie-talkies. One probably radioed the guys at the police station.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
A dashcam costs as little as U$30 and can save you much more than just a traffic fines, it can save you a trip to jail if you are involved in an accident. I really do not understand why all gringos are not using dashcams considering we are easy money making targets. A friend of mine was involved in an accident with a carrito, it was totally the fault of the carrito driver who crossed the road directly in front of my friend. This was right in the center of Sosua at the grand parada and so the driver had all his carrito drive buddies standing up for him. My friend showed the dashcam video to the chief of AMET and he basically laughed in the face of the carrito driver telling him that it was all his fault....if you had a dashcam you would not have even had to post anything on this forum. Go out and buy one, it is the best investment you will ever make on a car.