A couple of beaches

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We played tourist these last 2 weeks, my parents having come over to visit.
The rest of the time I am not a beach person, and my wife even less : itchy sand, itchy salt, sand flies, stray dogs, dirty sand, loud people, fish copulate in the water even, etc..... what is there not to like ??

Some beaches were ruled out after past day trips ( last time they visited, 2 years ago ), and didnt pass the " parent test " :
Sosua, far too everything : pricey, loud, tacky, you name it, Sosua beach has it.
Cabarete, a bit too far for a day trip, + you have to leave your car and walk to it.
Cofresi, kind of OK, but no beach " services" , + the road works on the POP road arema PITA.

We revisited other beaches that had passed the " parent test ", well 2 of them, the 3d was a new discovery.
Ok, so we went twice to each beach. Once in tourist mode, once in dominican mode.

Tourist mode : we go with the bare minimum and eat at a beach restaurant, rent beach beds, buy drinks, etc.... once we get there.
Dominican mode : we bring everything with us, drinks, food, beds, table, etc......

El castillo, la Isabella, and not Villa Isabella.
You can park your car right on the beach which is a plus for " dominican mode ".
Has the greatest fried fish at the restaurant, right at the entrance ( well only one restaurant, + 2 or 3 beach huts-----ok for drinks and beach beds but i d prefer not to test the cuisine ). Cheap as well. 4 fried fish lunches, with french fries and tostones, 6 cokes, 8 coffees, 1.8k pesos...... a bargain.
Beach is calm and quiet BUT the sea is rocky ( as opppsed to sand underfoot ) and has sand banks with sealife ( and sea weed ). So great to swim with a mask and tuba to see fish and whatnot....... less so for ball games, etc......
100 pesos per day for a beach bed.

La ensenada, past Villa Isabella.
Has turned very touristy in the not-so-good-way. Rows and rows of beach huts and tables. Not so cheap. 2 parkings. 100 pesos/day.
Best beach/sea, colour, landscape wise. Some say in the whole dr. Shallow sea, so great for kids. Sand underfoot. Not much to see with a mask and tuba, unless you move away from the beach limits.
A bunch of banana boats and the like. 150 pesos/person, but you can just take the whole boat to yourself for 400 pesos for a 15 mn ride. ( i took my 5 year old nephew on a ride, to the surprise of my parents who couldnt believe it, nor could they believe i had to sign off on 13 insurance forms-------they must of thought we were on holiday in the US, lol ).
Not croweded per see, but a mix of tourists and dominicans.
Not cheap to eat. 13 lb of fried fish ( yeah we went overboard ), fries and tostones, 8 cokes, 4 beers, 6 coffees, 4 beach beds: 5.5k pesos.

Cambiaso.
Difficult access, dirt road.
BEAUTIFUL beach. Sand underfoot. Deserted. No beach beds-----bring your own.
Ok-ish fried fish served to us on the beach. Cheapish. Fried fish and tostones for 4, 8 kola real ( beuuurk ), 8 coffees: 2.1k pesos.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sosua, far too everything : pricey, loud, tacky, you name it, Sosua beach has it.
Cabarete, a bit too far for a day trip, + you have to leave your car and walk to it.

Personally, I don't find Sosua beach pricey compared to others. Some bars are too loud so I go elsewhere - there's plenty of choice. Tacky? Maybe I'm just a tacky person, but I like it.
As for Cabarete being too far - it depends where you're coming from! I live in Cabarete and visit the beach almost every day. I don't mind walking the few yards from the main street onto the beach.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You have to walk to the beach in Cabarete? From the parking lot next to Scotia Bank, you walk directly across the street, through Lazy Dog restaurant and you're on the beach. Maybe 50 yards!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Personally, I don't find Sosua beach pricey compared to others. Some bars are too loud so I go elsewhere - there's plenty of choice. Tacky? Maybe I'm just a tacky person, but I like it.
As for Cabarete being too far - it depends where you're coming from! I live in Cabarete and visit the beach almost every day. I don't mind walking the few yards from the main street onto the beach.

Well yeah, for sure, depends where you live, but for me it is the beach that is the furthest away.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
You have to walk to the beach in Cabarete? From the parking lot next to Scotia Bank, you walk directly across the street, through Lazy Dog restaurant and you're on the beach. Maybe 50 yards!

I didnt express myself correctly.
What i meant is that you cant keep an eye on your vehicule, so its a bit iffy to leave stuff in it, say my parents passport, my gun, etc......
Whereas at the other beaches, you can see ( or touch, in some cases) your vehicule from your beach bed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I didnt express myself correctly.
What i meant is that you cant keep an eye on your vehicule, so its a bit iffy to leave stuff in it, say my parents passport, my gun, etc......
Whereas at the other beaches, you can see ( or touch, in some cases) your vehicule from your beach bed.

Most, if not all, of the other parking lots in Cabarete are located behind the stores on the street, so I can see you might have some reservations with them, but the lot next to Scotia Bank is fenced, has a guard, and is highly visible to all on the street. I see a lot of expensive cars in there. Put everything in the trunk and I don't think you have a thing to worry abotut.