Best place to exchange currency in Distrito Nacional?

powerbroker

Jan 24, 2019
Hey everybody. I'm very new to the area (have only been here less than a week). I've run through the little DOP that I exchanged before leaving and need to exchange some more. I only have my ATM card, not much USD on hand. What is my best option for both withdrawing cash and exchanging?

Thank you!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Using your ATM card you can only withdraw Pesos, so currency exchange is moot. Use an ATM at a legit bank, during the day time, preferably when the bank is open. Depending on the bank you will be limited to $RD 10K - $RD 20K per transaction and limited to the number of transactions per day by both the bank here in the DR and your bank back home - you told them you would be using the ATM card in the DR, right?

Be aware of your surroundings and the people that may be watching your gobble up cash. Immediately go home and stash whatever money you don't need. Don't carry around large amounts of cash unnecessarily.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
The atm will give you a decent rate but the best rate I found is a place off calle conde called casa de cambio. Make a right at Pollo Rey's and its a yellow building second on the left. Know what the rate is before going inside and negotiate something very close to that rate. He'll write it down if you dont speak Spanish and you just say si or no. Every rate will be outstanding though. I dont know how he makes money.

powerbroker

Jan 24, 2019
Using your ATM card you can only withdraw Pesos, so currency exchange is moot. Use an ATM at a legit bank, during the day time, preferably when the bank is open. Depending on the bank you will be limited to $RD 10K - $RD 20K per transaction and limited to the number of transactions per day by both the bank here in the DR and your bank back home - you told them you would be using the ATM card in the DR, right?

Be aware of your surroundings and the people that may be watching your gobble up cash. Immediately go home and stash whatever money you don't need. Don't carry around large amounts of cash unnecessarily.

Thanks so much.

By the way, how accepted is USD in Santo Domingo? I'm assuming the bodegas wouldn't take it, but my banker back home (a Dominican woman) said they take it everywhere and even prefer it, although I think she thought I was going to a resort.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Most places will give you a good rate....

Supermarkets etc.... lots of places
Just fix a rate in your head and stick to it

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hey everybody. I'm very new to the area (have only been here less than a week). I've run through the little DOP that I exchanged before leaving and need to exchange some more. I only have my ATM card, not much USD on hand. What is my best option for both withdrawing cash and exchanging?

Thank you!

ATM machine but be aware most charge 195 pesos per transaction so find a machine that will allow you to withdraw 10,000 pesos which is the max amount I have seen in SD. Some allow 20k but you have to have an account with the bank.

Not sure where in SD you are but there should be a bank close by that will permit the 10k withdrawl.

If you can try to find a bank where you just swipe your card because if some malfunction and the ATM gobbles up your card you up the creek without a paddle.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
ATM machine but be aware most charge 195 pesos per transaction so find a machine that will allow you to withdraw 10,000 pesos which is the max amount I have seen in SD. Some allow 20k but you have to have an account with the bank.

Not sure where in SD you are but there should be a bank close by that will permit the 10k withdrawl.

If you can try to find a bank where you just swipe your card because if some malfunction and the ATM gobbles up your card you up the creek without a paddle.

Bird.
banco progresso will allow up to 30k on one withdrawal an they only charge 150 scota should be the same as they own progresso now. The progresso I use is on independencia. BHD and Popular have a 10k transaction limit and 190 fee.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bird.
banco progresso will allow up to 30k on one withdrawal an they only charge 150 scota should be the same as they own progresso now. The progresso I use is on independencia. BHD and Popular have a 10k transaction limit and 190 fee.

thanks will look into that. i have been using one of the P letter word ATMs in Agora, not sure if Popular or Progresso. Either way I will follow up.

Sep 4, 2012

Thank you!

Walk into a bank and use your USA issued ATM, done.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Thanks so much.

By the way, how accepted is USD in Santo Domingo? I'm assuming the bodegas wouldn't take it, but my banker back home (a Dominican woman) said they take it everywhere and even prefer it, although I think she thought I was going to a resort.

dios mios, please DO NOT pay for anything in us dollars. I can see their eyes lighting up already. Youre begging to be had.

powerbroker

Jan 24, 2019
dios mios, please DO NOT pay for anything in us dollars. I can see their eyes lighting up already. Youre begging to be had.

Ha, well I just mean using the extra singles I have for some bottles of water or what have you before I re-up.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Bird.

I was going to say the same, not sure of the capital though, but we only use Progreso ATMs in POP with foreign cards, and no trouble getting 20k with 150 peso fee.

Just a personal opinion, but I'm with the ones who discourage use of USD here. I have only ever had EURs and DOPs here, never even changed one signle DOP outside of the country due to exchange rates, and never paid for anything in this country with any other currency than DOP. I am well aware the many businesses take those, but I personally would not pay with USD, due to exchange rate.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The post above is pretty much on target. For example go to Jumbo or any large grocery. You can pay with US Dollars, but if the going rate is 50, you get 47 or less. If you took your Dollars to Caribe Exress or pretty much any exchange house you would get 50 or a bit more. Gas stations, the same thing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On the odd occasion I use US$$....

IF IF IF , they give me the right rate

My vet does..........

Just dictate the rate....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bird.

Once again you are correct. I think I need to change my therapist. I used to use the ATM at Clinica Abreu and for some reason 10k and 195 stuck in my mind. Went to Agora today and used the ATM I always use and lo and behold it is indeed Progresso. Withdrew 15k with no problem and checked receipt it is 150 DOP user fee.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Thank you!

Frank "El Azuano" Calle Conde Edf Savignon #351