Change to arrival passport stamp

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Feel like it's been a while since this forum freaked out about overstay fee...

Noticed on my arrival this week to sti the stamp now has a spot to write visa type (marked na for me) and a spot for validity period (marked 30 días for me)

Didn't see any posts here about the new stamps

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yessir !!

I got it ....
mine's filled out

Visa type = RP-1 (resident
Hasta= my expiry date....Apr 10/22

I notice also that they are now careful to match up the stamps -
IN/OUT are beside each other for easy reference - I assume

But - not to worry - they will all tell you it doesn't matter....
nothing is changing....

Really good catch JahJah....

I never look... but I just came back Feb 11 - @ POP
My Jan 28 entry at SDQ doesn't have it

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let me the first to tell you not to worry. They are intent on collecting the overstay fee. That is the reason for this.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Let me the first to tell you not to worry. They are intent on collecting the overstay fee. That is the reason for this.
With the actual collection of all the overstay fees and the extra $10 illegal collection from Dominican travelers they must have a mountain of money to use for the public good. [emoji3]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very plausible SKY.... very

But could they be tracking those who are 'gaming' the system at the same time ??

A twofer.... they want their $$$.... but they want the interlopers too...

I would love to know the REAL answer

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just gave you the real answer, they want the cash. Simple enough....................

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
looks like this is about to change subject. Pretty soon all we are going to see is how we better get our sh@t together and get residencies.
They have a much simplier money grab going on and will continue to be a cash cow for government. Getting resident status is only once, lots of paper work for the gov and everyone else.

Much easier to collect when you leave and see you next year and pay again

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I don't think they ever had trouble getting people to pay the overstay. Where it actually went might have been the issue. They had already implemented a procedure to prevent agents from pocketing the fees. True this could be one more safeguard to make it easier to determine the correct fee.

At least with this there are no more questions as to how long someone is legally in the country as well as related questions like how long is an out of country driver's license valid. For the OP, both are 30 days and that would apply to all entering on a tourist card.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
looks like this is about to change subject. Pretty soon all we are going to see is how we better get our sh@t together and get residencies.
They have a much simplier money grab going on and will continue to be a cash cow for government. Getting resident status is only once, lots of paper work for the gov and everyone else.

Much easier to collect when you leave and see you next year and pay again

Residency is not really a one time deal. It is never permanent but has periodic renewals. Currently those start out at one year, go to 4 years and can be as high as 10 years between renewals.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's the Cdn Travel Advice posting

It's in the passport now...
It's posted for Cdn travelers

Hard not to see the intention....
The message points the way...
===========================================================================

Tourist card

Canadians entering the Dominican Republic as tourists must obtain a tourist card. It is included in all air tickets issued outside the country. If you enter the Dominican Republic by land or sea, you can obtain the card at your entry location for US$10. ‎It is valid for a 30-day stay period.

Dominican tourist card – Directorate general of internal taxes (in Spanish)

Stay extension

You can apply for a stay extension for a period up to 120 days. You must request your stay extension to the Dominican Directorate General for Migration once you are in Dominican Republic, before your tourist card expires.

If you wish to stay in the Dominican Republic for more than 120 days, you must obtain a resident visa from the Dominican authorities in Canada prior to your departure.

If you overstay the period for which you have been authorized to stay, you will have to pay fine to immigration authorities when leaving the country. You may also need to apply for a visa the next time you wish to return to the Dominican Republic. Local authorities may deny you entry if you don’t have the proper visa.

Stay extension - Dominican Directorate General for Migration (in Spanish)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The above is for the suckers to read. Just pay the overstay when you leave. Only been like this for more than 20 years.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
True. Nothing ever changes. Everything always remains the same.

Absolutely. I’m sure that even with new computerized passport scanning and biometrics with linked databases no one should expect anything to ever be different. (Eye roll).

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Well it doesn't matter much to me, I've moved back to the states, future trips will always be less than 30 days...

Fwiw I don't think the overstay system will change anytime incredibly soon for Americans but I am sure it will be used against Haitians and Venezuelans.

I am more concerned with the percentage of Uber drivers who refuse to pick you up if you pay with a card than the amet stopping me on day 31.

It was a nice visit, I missed santiago! Vitrina rooftop restaurant was delicious, sushi ban in los jardines still good, and I brought back cibao brewing company beers made with hops grown in DR. Amazing time!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IMO... they have upped their game

It’s now in your passport... your stated legal limit... no fudging

Like all else Dominican... whether they enforce it or not... vamos a ver
But now , they have the avenue to enforcement and you were advised of it

My term if stay is written as the expiry of my current residency card..
Others will be different

I never liked Russian Roulette after the Deer Hunter

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like it or not.... RD is upping their game in a few areas - especially their tracking.
Traffic fines are a good example - new system last fall - crazy accurate
Now - Migracion is entering the fray ....

It’s a tracking device, a notification to those entering
and a clear path to claiming whether you are legal or not

The cards are stacked in their favor
As in any card game....the good players know how to cheat...

It's just whether they do or not

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I didn’t even notice the stamp until I read this thread. Here it is:

16932661-DA68-4C4B-A624-F5A4EBB5DA6A.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I said above.... Jan 28....at SDQ, no new stamp for me