Carnaval 2019 - Santo Domingo el malecon

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sunday March 3, 2019 will be the Grand Finale Carnaval on the malecon in Santo Domingo. I have attended maybe 5 or 6 times and always a nice, safe, fun day.

Agora Mall has a display on the main level of different costumes worn for Carnaval. What some detail intricate work put into those costumes. So if you don't make the parade at least check out Agora Mall.

2r41yyb.jpg

szvpfa.jpg

33lf0k9.jpg

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
There's something going on today:street closures leading to the Malecon, lots of military,PN, vendors and food trucks. Will check it out after six pm.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I read somewhere that the parade starts at 4PM. Is that accurate?

3 - 4 PM is about right. March 3 parade starts at Socorro Sanchez just west of Jaragua Hotel. Best viewing is where they have the VIP seating as the marchers stop and do a small performance instead of just marching.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
3 - 4 PM is about right. March 3 parade starts at Socorro Sanchez just west of Jaragua Hotel. Best viewing is where they have the VIP seating as the marchers stop and do a small performance instead of just marching.

How do you get VIP, Big Bird? I need to learn how to get into VIP for the New Year celebration to

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How do you get VIP, Big Bird? I need to learn how to get into VIP for the New Year celebration to

I have no clue as i just walk the street. If really interested stop in Jaragua Hotel and inquire. I don't remember the names but maybe two or three of the big hotels have the reviewing stands. Mingling with the street crowd is just as much fun as the parade.