Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trace batteries T235 T245

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trace batteries T235 T245

Both banks of batteries died at the same time, they were Trojan reds.

I know I’ve seen threads about Trace batteries before, and that’s what we ended up buying this week, 8 of them. We got 4 T245 and 4 T235, not sure why two different, bought different days. Inverter guy seems impressed with them, said they’re “industrial” and better than the Trojans (we bought them directly from Trace, not from him)

So we’re curious if anyone has bought these and how they’ve held up?

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Both banks of batteries died at the same time, they were Trojan reds.

I know I’ve seen threads about Trace batteries before, and that’s what we ended up buying this week, 8 of them. We got 4 T245 and 4 T235, not sure why two different, bought different days. Inverter guy seems impressed with them, said they’re “industrial” and better than the Trojans (we bought them directly from Trace, not from him)

So we’re curious if anyone has bought these and how they’ve held up?
    Windeguy is the expert on batteries.

However, the 2 sets you purchased I think may be a problem as they have different current/power ratings. That's what the model numbers refer to.

Combining them may be an issue in charging from the same source.
    That's if you hook them up as 8 batteries (2 sets of 4) or (4 sets of 2).
    Last edited by SantiagoDR; 02-25-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    Clown Central

Be Serious

3. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Windeguy is the expert on batteries.

However, the 2 sets you purchased I think may be a problem as they have different current/power ratings. That's what the model numbers refer to.

Combining them may be an issue in charging from the same source.
    That's if you hook them up as 8 batteries (2 sets of 4) or (4 sets of 2).
    Correct.

Optimally, all the battery banks should be the same capacity and condition.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When I pointed out that the first two are T245 and second are T 235, Mr AE immediately got on the phone. The 235 have not been installed yet, and the plan is to exchange them for 245s.

Right now the two banks of 4 go to different inverters, one for the house and one just the refrigerator and separate chest freezer. We’d like them all the same because we’ve discussed getting one larger inverter for everything if our bigger one dies.

Meanwhile, Generac guy was here yesterday, returning today. Hopefully we’ll have that 8 KW up and running too.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

PS. Back to original question. Anyone have these T245 and what is your opinion?

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

TRACE as a company was purchased by Xantrex and Xantrex was then purchased by by Schneider Electric.

So TRACE has not existed for many years. TRACE never made batteries.

Whoever sells TRACE batteries in the DR has them made somewhere by somebody, but they were never made by TRACE or Xantrex or Schneider. The TRACE battery name is just a sticker applied by a DR based company on batteries of unknown origin. I used TRACE batteries one time before I realized all this. They were certainly not better in life expectancy than Trojan Red batteries.

As for mixing one capacity of batteries with another capacity of batteries in two banks of 4, that is not a good idea because it will eventually cause imbalances and earlier failures in your system.

I would have continued to purchase Trojan Red Batteries. They are the best for the higher temperatures in the DR that I have found in this size range of batteries.

At this point, definitely exchange the batteries you were going to exchange to get all of the same exact type. That is the best you can do now.

10. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Another comment on flooded lead acid batteries: If those batteries really are 245 AH batteries, they would suffer from being "electrolyte starved" as in having more metal and less acid than a Trojan T105 which have a 20 hour rate of 225 AH. An electrolyte starved battery will in general not last as long as one with more electrolyte in our warm climate.

I learned about battery technology by speaking directly to the technical people at TRACE, CROWN, INTERSTATE, ROLLS and other battery companies over the years. There was a time when we got only 10 hours of power each day when Hippolito was the idiot president here, so batteries were really a critical concern. Now we have the DR version of 24/7 power, which has been far easier to deal with.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We’ve had lousy luck with the red Trojans and now only a one year warranty, so decided to try something different. We bought them from Trace International in SD.

Our inverters run about 10 hours a day

I’m hoping the 24 hr electric all around us gets here soon.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I bought AE.... haven't used them yet

Settled on the ROLLS S-550 --- 8 of them @ 22,000 pesos each
    US price is $100US less... but we have shipping and taxes... so actually a pretty good price - IMO

Trace in Sto Dom has a recent shipment
    should be a pickup early next week

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast