Santo Domingo Metro - more work

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Obviously i was wrong as I thought additional work on improving the Metro would not happen in the near future. Seems as if works as already in motion. Time schedule could very well be another thing but it's happening. I ride the Metro quite often and it is standing room only most times and rush hour just forget it as you are lucky if can be the last sardine crammed in the cars............. GO METRO .......

https://listindiario.com/la-republi...aciones-de-linea-1-del-metro-de-santo-domingo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Given the lack of responses - Aerie Man

Let's go this route ---

HOW MANY PEOPLE (DR1ers) RIDE THE RAILS (METRO) ????

Besides the Brave Bird....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Let's go this route ---

I know grill man, but there are a few of us who do so I try to keep them posted. Plus, I like posting positive stuff especially when at one point in time there were so many know it all dr1 posters who said the Metro would fail, Agora Mall would fail, Sambil would fail........... etc. Pichardo probably somewhere laughing his little rear end off.

SD is cool, if you like big city living ............ that is with one major exception - the traffic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know why you do it ....

Close Encounters.....of the Human Kind
I bet you only ride at rush hour.....

Keep your hands to yourself !!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes.. It's very cool...
I can't take big cities much... hit & run

But I enjoy a quick hit in SD...
anytime you 4-5 million people.... you have action

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Obviously i was wrong as I thought additional work on improving the Metro would not happen in the near future. Seems as if works as already in motion. Time schedule could very well be another thing but it's happening. I ride the Metro quite often and it is standing room only most times and rush hour just forget it as you are lucky if can be the last sardine crammed in the cars............. GO METRO .......

https://listindiario.com/la-republi...aciones-de-linea-1-del-metro-de-santo-domingo

Basically making the terminal buildings a little longer to handle more cars in each train.

On a related note, they've already started on the second cable car from Los Alcarizzos to Ave. Luperon.

Anybody who travels that route knows what a major PITA the conchos are on that route.

The new cable car route will put a huge dent in that traffic jam.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

Let's go this route ---

I do occasionally. As a kid I rode the Boston subway everywhere with a very open transfer policy. The Santo Domingo Metro is a major asset for a congested city.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Basically making the terminal buildings a little longer to handle more cars in each train.

I think Pichardo had mentioned that way back but the plan was to see how many daily riders will use the Metro. Most likely a limit to how often you can have them run as the bottle neck would be the last station on both ends. You have to wait for a train to get in, unload and reload and come back out the station.

I am not familiar with the new Teleferico route but if you find a map please post. At luperon is Teleferico #2 going to connect with Metro Line 2?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Bird is quite accustomed to and accepted in SD - it seems

He travels & lives like a true local..... no car, nuttin'..... just his wits
and does well.....it appears

But I bet there are few DR1ers on that subway......nonetheless

[/SIZE]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Ride the metro once in a while mainly line 2 from km9 to line 1 from there to national on gomez. always crazy full. last I read the cable cars from km9 to las alcarrizos will connect with line 2

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I use it quite a lot and am always surprised how well it seems to run. The platforms are really long compared to the trains, so I have been wondering when someone will realise that new trains are needed. I have seen a map where they were planning new lines and stations in the Colonial Zone (Plaza Independencia) and at the airport. I wonder if any of us will still be alive when these get built.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ride the metro once in a while mainly line 2 from km9 to line 1 from there to national on gomez. always crazy full. last I read the cable cars from km9 to las alcarrizos will connect with line 2

That by far is the best way to get back into the city if coming from Santiago or POP area. Caribe Tours bus will stop and let you off there.

It would be nice if they had safe, secure parking there. People could come shopping in SD and leave their car at km. 9.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I use it quite a lot and am always surprised how well it seems to run. The platforms are really long compared to the trains, so I have been wondering when someone will realise that new trains are needed. I have seen a map where they were planning new lines and stations in the Colonial Zone (Plaza Independencia) and at the airport. I wonder if any of us will still be alive when these get built.
As long that Danilo is president, don’t expect they will start construction on any new Metro lines. Danilo is taking his sweet time finishing Line 2. According to the initial construction plans, by this time Line 3 should had been under construction (along ave 27 de Febrero and Las Américas).

Look at it like this. The construction of the first line basically created a boom in Metro construction in Latin America. It was built in record time and quite cheaply compared to what these things normally cost. Delegations from various countries were sent to Santo Domingo to see how the Dominicans did it so quickly and cheaply. Among those delegations was one from Panama. They came, they saw, and they liked it. So, well after Line 2 of SD Metro started construction, in Panama they started the construction of their own Metro.

Speed up to today and Line 2 of SD is still not finished, only two segments of three are functioning. Yet, in Panama...

[video=youtube;LxIxhHz6kCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxIxhHz6kCY[/video]

Yes, during the time Line 2 of SD is built (and nowhere near being completed), Panama basically built 2 lines and they have the 3rd line fully designed with construction starting as soon as their Line 2 is completed.

Leonel built Line 1 and roughly 50% of Line 2. In 8 years Danilo barely completed sightly less than half of the remaining 50% of line 2. Never mind that Line 6 (the Colonial Zone connection) was suppose to be done by now and Line 3 should had been under construction.

And, drums please, the feeder buses that were suppose to make it easy and comfortable for barrio people to access the metro without taking the inhumanly crowded conchos have yet to be put in operation.

Lima, Peru is another city inspired by the SD Metro. They became motivated enough to finish their first line that was under construction and paralyzed since the 1980’s and now they are working on their second line. I bet they will finish before Santo Domingo. The Peruvians went as far as ordering the same exact trains that the DR got, except theirs are green. lol

Last edited:

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

Let's go this route ---

I ride the Metro. BB is most correct when he mentions sardine can accommodations. It is almost funny. The east-west line going west from Maximo Gomez can be quite the squeeze.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
SD is cool, if you like big city living ............ that is with one major exception - the traffic.
I do like SD as far as city living goes. It has everything an expat needs. Ultimately, I hope to live in a small town; however, Gascue and San Geronimo are convenient locations.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

A few years back when we lived in Santo Domingo and I was working in the city and not having a car, I rode it twice a day and on the worst times too. I never sat, there was no change. It was squeezing with others just as I would do in Europe. I was lucky if I found somewhere to hang on. They way it was organized at that time, I have no complaints, and the fellow passengers behaved just as it was back in Europe. Working people going to work... As far as I've understood, it is European-made after all...

I say the same, Go Metro...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The Bird is quite accustomed to and accepted in SD - it seems

He travels & lives like a true local..... no car, nuttin'..... just his wits
and does well.....it appears

But I bet there are few DR1ers on that subway......nonetheless

[/SIZE]

Not all of us travel by helicopter either... like some DR1ers.
While living in SD East I rode the metro at least twice a week.
Some of us move to countries like the DR because we feel more
comfortable blending in with the local population rather than
trying to prove to others we are somehow above the majority.
Personally, I know several Dominicans down here who love nothing
more to see, hear or read about some rich ass arrogant gringo getting
touched by some young tigre.

Last edited: