Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Obtaining DR Citizenship for a Child

I obtained Dominican citizenship a few years back a couple of months after my son was born. My wife does not hold Dominican citizenship and my son has never been to the DR and we don't plan on ever living there. None of us speak fluent Spanish.

Does anyone have some insight into how difficult it will be to get DR citizenship/passport for my son?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you never plan on living there what would be the point in obtaining citizenship?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Obtaining multiple citizenships is part of a political and financial international diversification strategy.

4. Likes Dr_Taylor liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your son sill entitled to citizenship even though he was born before you were naturalized?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Is your son sill entitled to citizenship even though he was born before you were naturalized?
    You have to do the process in a closer Dominican Consulate, If you are Dominican your son is tight to your Dominican citizenship before 18 years old. They do not ask you if you plan to live here, what you have to prove is that you are Dominican, thats all you need, you being a Dominican if your son wants after 18 years old just has to say he wants to be Dominican as his father and just proving that you are Dominican by himself he can get Dominican citizenship.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    You have to do the process in a closer Dominican Consulate, If you are Dominican your son is tight to your Dominican citizenship before 18 years old. They do not ask you if you plan to live here, what you have to prove is that you are Dominican, thats all you need, you being a Dominican if your son wants after 18 years old just has to say he wants to be Dominican as his father and just proving that you are Dominican by himself he can get Dominican citizenship.
    This is correct, and the rationale for citizenship is not relevant. The fact remains that one possesses a legal right to it. A U.S. citizen once asked me why I took a trip to a particular country that the U.S. Government does not like. I responded thus: I wanted to visit, and the host country permitted me to do so.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that I would need to take him to Santo Domingo for the naturalization ceremony and that first-time cedulas and passports can only be obtained in Santo Domingo (not at embassies).

I would like to avoid subjecting him or myself to any further Spanish-speaking test. I barely passed my own test and probably wouldn't be able to anymore.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post
    My understanding is that I would need to take him to Santo Domingo for the naturalization ceremony and that first-time cedulas and passports can only be obtained in Santo Domingo (not at embassies).

I would like to avoid subjecting him or myself to any further Spanish-speaking test. I barely passed my own test and probably wouldn't be able to anymore.
    He is obtaining the citienzeship thru your citizenship, is not the same when you apply being just resident and make the process as foreigner, this case will be automatic, when you do not have any tights with Dominican Republic roots, to this aplication all the things are diferents.

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You can do it all in the US as said above. All the steps are here (in Spanish which will help you practise) http://www.consuladordvalencia.com/q...n-el-exterior/.

They are also available on the DR Consulate in Washington site in English. BUT the citizenship for the child will be turned down if he has no valid reason for wanting to be a citizen - which may apply in your case.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that information. Just to make sure I understand correctly.....

Are you saying that my son can get Dominican citizenship plus a cedula and passport at a consulate abroad and never has to actually visit the DR?

The website you sent was from the Dominican consulate in Valencia, Spain. The nearest one to where I'm currently residing is in Frankfurt, Germany. Would you assume that all Dominican consulates across the world offer these services?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast