Obtaining DR Citizenship for a Child

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I obtained Dominican citizenship a few years back a couple of months after my son was born. My wife does not hold Dominican citizenship and my son has never been to the DR and we don't plan on ever living there. None of us speak fluent Spanish.

Does anyone have some insight into how difficult it will be to get DR citizenship/passport for my son?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Obtaining multiple citizenships is part of a political and financial international diversification strategy.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Is your son sill entitled to citizenship even though he was born before you were naturalized?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Is your son sill entitled to citizenship even though he was born before you were naturalized?

You have to do the process in a closer Dominican Consulate, If you are Dominican your son is tight to your Dominican citizenship before 18 years old. They do not ask you if you plan to live here, what you have to prove is that you are Dominican, thats all you need, you being a Dominican if your son wants after 18 years old just has to say he wants to be Dominican as his father and just proving that you are Dominican by himself he can get Dominican citizenship.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
You have to do the process in a closer Dominican Consulate, If you are Dominican your son is tight to your Dominican citizenship before 18 years old. They do not ask you if you plan to live here, what you have to prove is that you are Dominican, thats all you need, you being a Dominican if your son wants after 18 years old just has to say he wants to be Dominican as his father and just proving that you are Dominican by himself he can get Dominican citizenship.
This is correct, and the rationale for citizenship is not relevant. The fact remains that one possesses a legal right to it. A U.S. citizen once asked me why I took a trip to a particular country that the U.S. Government does not like. I responded thus: I wanted to visit, and the host country permitted me to do so.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
My understanding is that I would need to take him to Santo Domingo for the naturalization ceremony and that first-time cedulas and passports can only be obtained in Santo Domingo (not at embassies).

I would like to avoid subjecting him or myself to any further Spanish-speaking test. I barely passed my own test and probably wouldn't be able to anymore.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My understanding is that I would need to take him to Santo Domingo for the naturalization ceremony and that first-time cedulas and passports can only be obtained in Santo Domingo (not at embassies).

I would like to avoid subjecting him or myself to any further Spanish-speaking test. I barely passed my own test and probably wouldn't be able to anymore.

He is obtaining the citienzeship thru your citizenship, is not the same when you apply being just resident and make the process as foreigner, this case will be automatic, when you do not have any tights with Dominican Republic roots, to this aplication all the things are diferents.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Thank you for that information. Just to make sure I understand correctly.....

Are you saying that my son can get Dominican citizenship plus a cedula and passport at a consulate abroad and never has to actually visit the DR?

The website you sent was from the Dominican consulate in Valencia, Spain. The nearest one to where I'm currently residing is in Frankfurt, Germany. Would you assume that all Dominican consulates across the world offer these services?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you for that information. Just to make sure I understand correctly.....

Are you saying that my son can get Dominican citizenship plus a cedula and passport at a consulate abroad and never has to actually visit the DR?

The website you sent was from the Dominican consulate in Valencia, Spain. The nearest one to where I'm currently residing is in Frankfurt, Germany. Would you assume that all Dominican consulates across the world offer these services?

Yes. Why not ask them? http://www.consuladodominicanoff.de/

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
From experience I can tell you it can be a real hassle. A kid, swiss father dominican mother, born in switzerland. Swiss passport. Lives in the dr. Kid will soon be 18 and still hasnt got it sorted out ( dont ask me why ). Lawyers are " working" on it.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
From experience I can tell you it can be a real hassle. A kid, swiss father dominican mother, born in switzerland. Swiss passport. Lives in the dr. Kid will soon be 18 and still hasnt got it sorted out ( dont ask me why ). Lawyers are " working" on it.

I was checking the webpage and that process do not seen to be so dificult.

They only ask for

1- a birth certificate of the kid long form Fines de Apostilla
2.-and the copy of the Cedula or Dominican passport of ther Mother or father.

Pay the servicies
Servicios Consulares
Traducción Consular ($85)

Apostilla ($83)

Solicitud de Transcripción JCE ($25)

Acta de Nacimiento ($20)

Envío del Acta de Nacimiento ($15)

La primera cédula es gratis

Servicios de Terceros
Acta de Nacimiento in Extensa - Long Form (desde $23.30)*

Si el solicitante nació dentro de los 5 condados de NY (Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island), debe procurar una
Acta de Nacimiento In Extensa para fines de Apostilla (que incluya la Carta de Ejemplificación). Esto se solicita en aquí. El tiempo de este proceso se toma 10-15 días.

Si el solicitante nació fuera de los 5 condados de NY y posee su Acta de Nacimiento In Extensa, puede usar esta
Envío postal ($7.95) o gratis si recoges en el Consulado o en un Centro de Información Consular

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah it seems simple, but for God-knows-what reason, well, it isnt.
When the kid travels abroad, she still has to pay overstay fees, same as a tourist that overstayed.
illegal in her own country ( well if dr1 is to be believed ;) ).
It has been bogged down since 2012-13, around about when i started inquirying about residency at DGM.

( and btw, she goes to school, has phone/ internet accounts, a bank account, a normal life, what...... all that w/o a cedula..... imagine that ? ;) ).

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah it seems simple, but for God-knows-what reason, well, it isnt.
When the kid travels abroad, she still has to pay overstay fees, same as a tourist that overstayed.
illegal in her own country ( well if dr1 is to be believed ;) ).
It has been bogged down since 2012-13, around about when i started inquirying about residency at DGM.

( and btw, she goes to school, has phone/ internet accounts, a bank account, a normal life, what...... all that w/o a cedula..... imagine that ? ;) ).

Oh and add on to that, that in between time, some brillant politician/law maker, came up with the great idea that it is now obligatory to have the name of the father on dominican documents, retroactively, would you believe. So the mother also has problems ( along with all brothers and sisters------ except my wife thankfully ) and has to pay a sentencia to get cedula and every document modified, as they all ahve the mother's family name on birth certificates ( so cedulas also )....... talk about crazy.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
You do not need residency or a cedula to get those items. You only need a passport and dinero.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today’s DR1 news:

New online citizenship service for children of Dominicans in the United States
The Dominican Consulate in New York has announced the launch of a new online platform to facilitate the process for obtaining Dominican citizenship for those born in the United States.

Consul General Carlos Castillo launched the site YoSoyDominicano.org during a ceremony to pay homage to the Fathers of the Homeland, Juan Pablo Duarte, Matías Ramón Mella and Francisco del Rosario Sánchez on occasion of Independence Day on 27 February 2019.

Castillo said that all the children born in the United States of at least one Dominican parent have the right to be Dominican citizens and they do not need to go to the country to complete the process.

http://yosoydominicano.org/

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I called the Dominican consulate today in NYC, the phone number on the yosoydominicano website. Not a single person there could (or was willing to) speak English.