Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83

Thread: another day ...another scam

  1. #11
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    Had he/she paid with cash, now he/she would've been out of 1K.

    Paying with CC provides a path to get the 1K back immediately until final results of CC company investigation.

    Why would he/she not pay with CC instead of cash?

    The problem wasn't the means of payment, it was rather the dishonesty by the employee/gas station itself by charging more than they should've had.
    Yes dishonesty is the problem, however paying cash is relatively instantaneous. You see the amount on the pump, you pull out your wallet, and count the bills. Pay by credit card and there can be any number of distractions that may make you forget to look at the receipt before you sign allowing someone to add some pesos on to your total.

    Always make sure the pump is at 0.00 before the guy starts pumping and make sure you check the amount on the pump when he is finished, before you pay.

  2. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
  3. #12
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Don't know about you, but when I pay with cash I look at the amount on the meter before I pay. There is no way they can charge me more than the meter.
    What's prohibiting you to pay the same attention when using a CC?

  4. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
  5. #13
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    Gas stations are THE place for a rip off, always pay attention to everything and pay cash.
    Never trust anybody at a gas station...actually...never trust anybody here...
    Pay cash and getting rip off will be a fact - use a CC and money will be refunded.

    Chose the best option.

  6. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
  7. #14
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    What's prohibiting you to pay the same attention when using a CC?
    Plenty. How many people here have had phony charges on their card after paying at a gas station? They have your info and can use it.

    Look, the worst place to use your card in the DR is at a Gas Station. And there are plenty of stories to back that up. Cash rules at the pump, and get out of the car before the pump starts.

  8. #15
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    Yes dishonesty is the problem, however paying cash is relatively instantaneous. You see the amount on the pump, you pull out your wallet, and count the bills. Pay by credit card and there can be any number of distractions that may make you forget to look at the receipt before you sign allowing someone to add some pesos on to your total.

    Always make sure the pump is at 0.00 before the guy starts pumping and make sure you check the amount on the pump when he is finished, before you pay.
    Could agree to an extent - at the end, it comes to paying attention and the fact that:

    Paying with cash = no way back

    Paying with CC = money will not be lost and is refunded.

    Simple common sense.

  9. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
  10. #16
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Plenty. How many people here have had phony charges on their card after paying at a gas station? They have your info and can use it.

    Look, the worst place to use your card in the DR is at a Gas Station. And there are plenty of stories to back that up. Cash rules at the pump, and get out of the car before the pump starts.
    Repeat after me:

    Using a CC = money not being lost.

    Using cash = money out of your pocket for ever.

  11. #17
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    Could agree to an extent - at the end, it comes to paying attention and the fact that:

    Paying with cash = no way back

    Paying with CC = money will not be lost and is refunded.

    Simple common sense.
    This is the most ridiculous post I have seen in a long time. Anyone that cannot look at the pump, pull out the money to pay the amount on the pump needs a new brain......................

    How could you possibly over pay when you are out of your car looking at the amount?

  12. Likes Jaime809 liked this post
  13. #18
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    That's the one thing I ALWAYS pay cash for. Also keep my eyes peeled during the whole process.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Don't know about you, but when I pay with cash I look at the amount on the meter before I pay. There is no way they can charge me more than the meter.
    Exactly. I don't ask the guy to do anything until I'm next to him (out of the car) and looking at the meter. They realize this and never start pumping before saying loud and clear while pointing the meter "pantalla en zero, xxxx de regular/premium". And then they start the pump. I'm always close enough to the hose that I hear gas going to the tank. We also only go to 2 certain gas stations in POP. Might be borderline paranoid, but I just simply hate paying for things I don't receive...

  14. Likes KateP liked this post
  15. #19
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    8,948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    pay cash and tell them how much to put in the tank

  16. Likes Jaime809, Fulano2 liked this post
  17. #20
    No fui yo!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    Attention to details - take it to your credit card and file a claim for services not received. Stay away from this specific business, let it be and move on.

    $1000 Pesos are not enough to argue about, lesson learned.
    I disagree - complaints could get this guy fired and an honest person might get a job. If you reward dishonesty (by ignoring it) then you perpetuate it.
    I would complain and keep the evidence and go all the way to the parent corporation even if that took some time to track down.

  18. Likes beeza, irishpaddy liked this post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •