another day ...another scam

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
on Monday I went to the Texaco gas station on Avenida Romulo Betancourt at the Avenida Caonabo corner
I went to the #6 pump and told the guy ...fill up the tank with regular....when he was finished I check the pump and the amount owed was 1530.00 pesos....I paid for the gas with my credit card and off I went ….a few minutes later as I was driving I glanced at the receipt and it was for 1930.00......I thought maybe I was mistaken and it was 1930.00....no point going back now.

so this morning I deliberately went back to the same gas station...which is close to my apt and I again went to pump #6...and the same guy was working the pump...lucky me...I again asked him to fill the tank with regular...he filled the tank with 1930.00 and again I paid with credit card....when he handed me the receipt it was for 2930.00...and that's when the **** hit the fan....I refused to sign ...told him he was a ladrone and that he had pulled the same scam on Monday....I went into speak with a manager or the boss...nobody really in charge ...when I went back out the attendant handed me back 1000.00 and then wanted me to sign the receipt....I grabbed my 1000.00 and held onto both copies of the receipts from the credit card company
is there anything else I could have done?
the attendants name is GREGORIO SANTANA...…..so just beware and keep your eyes open

Sep 4, 2012
Attention to details - take it to your credit card and file a claim for services not received. Stay away from this specific business, let it be and move on.

$1000 Pesos are not enough to argue about, lesson learned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I go to the same station as often as humanly possibly

This is no NEW scam... a very old one
Once - I have been nicked -- your boy is a regular cheater = daily it seems

Watch the pump .. check the receipt....
Personally, i opened an account... I sign for my gas and pay monthly

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
How the pump #6 guy would profit from this?

Does the owner pay them the surplus they make as a cash payout or how does he, the pump guy, get the cheated amount when it was paid with CC? I don"t understand...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How the pump #6 guy would profit from this?

Does the owner pay them the surplus they make as a cash payout or how does he, the pump guy, get the cheated amount when it was paid with CC? I don"t understand...

He could be in cahoots with the gal doing the books? They split the extra the extra cash.

Or he could "sell" that 1,000 pesos worth of gas again, and pocket the 1000 cash. The income for the day would balance with the amount of fuel sold.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That's the one thing I ALWAYS pay cash for. Also keep my eyes peeled during the whole process.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You should never use any card at a gas station in the DR. No good can come of it. Pay cash.....

Sep 4, 2012
You should never use any card at a gas station in the DR. No good can come of it. Pay cash.....

Had he/she paid with cash, now he/she would've been out of 1K.

Paying with CC provides a path to get the 1K back immediately until final results of CC company investigation.

Why would he/she not pay with CC instead of cash?

The problem wasn't the means of payment, it was rather the dishonesty by the employee/gas station itself by charging more than they should've had.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Paying with CC provides a path to get the 1K back immediately until final results of CC company investigation.

The problem wasn't the means of payment, it was rather the dishonesty by the employee/gas station itself by charging more than they should've had.

Don't know about you, but when I pay with cash I look at the amount on the meter before I pay. There is no way they can charge me more than the meter.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

Gas stations are THE place for a rip off, always pay attention to everything and pay cash.
Never trust anybody at a gas station...actually...never trust anybody here...

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Yes dishonesty is the problem, however paying cash is relatively instantaneous. You see the amount on the pump, you pull out your wallet, and count the bills. Pay by credit card and there can be any number of distractions that may make you forget to look at the receipt before you sign allowing someone to add some pesos on to your total.

Always make sure the pump is at 0.00 before the guy starts pumping and make sure you check the amount on the pump when he is finished, before you pay.

Sep 4, 2012
Gas stations are THE place for a rip off, always pay attention to everything and pay cash.
Never trust anybody at a gas station...actually...never trust anybody here...

Pay cash and getting rip off will be a fact - use a CC and money will be refunded.

Chose the best option.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What's prohibiting you to pay the same attention when using a CC?

Plenty. How many people here have had phony charges on their card after paying at a gas station? They have your info and can use it.

Look, the worst place to use your card in the DR is at a Gas Station. And there are plenty of stories to back that up. Cash rules at the pump, and get out of the car before the pump starts.

Sep 4, 2012
Yes dishonesty is the problem, however paying cash is relatively instantaneous. You see the amount on the pump, you pull out your wallet, and count the bills. Pay by credit card and there can be any number of distractions that may make you forget to look at the receipt before you sign allowing someone to add some pesos on to your total.

Always make sure the pump is at 0.00 before the guy starts pumping and make sure you check the amount on the pump when he is finished, before you pay.

Could agree to an extent - at the end, it comes to paying attention and the fact that:

Paying with cash = no way back

Paying with CC = money will not be lost and is refunded.

Simple common sense.

Sep 4, 2012
Plenty. How many people here have had phony charges on their card after paying at a gas station? They have your info and can use it.

Look, the worst place to use your card in the DR is at a Gas Station. And there are plenty of stories to back that up. Cash rules at the pump, and get out of the car before the pump starts.

Repeat after me:

Using a CC = money not being lost.

Using cash = money out of your pocket for ever.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Could agree to an extent - at the end, it comes to paying attention and the fact that:

Paying with cash = no way back

Paying with CC = money will not be lost and is refunded.

Simple common sense.

This is the most ridiculous post I have seen in a long time. Anyone that cannot look at the pump, pull out the money to pay the amount on the pump needs a new brain......................

How could you possibly over pay when you are out of your car looking at the amount?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
That's the one thing I ALWAYS pay cash for. Also keep my eyes peeled during the whole process.

Don't know about you, but when I pay with cash I look at the amount on the meter before I pay. There is no way they can charge me more than the meter.

Exactly. I don't ask the guy to do anything until I'm next to him (out of the car) and looking at the meter. They realize this and never start pumping before saying loud and clear while pointing the meter "pantalla en zero, xxxx de regular/premium". And then they start the pump. I'm always close enough to the hose that I hear gas going to the tank. We also only go to 2 certain gas stations in POP. Might be borderline paranoid, but I just simply hate paying for things I don't receive...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Attention to details - take it to your credit card and file a claim for services not received. Stay away from this specific business, let it be and move on.

$1000 Pesos are not enough to argue about, lesson learned.

I disagree - complaints could get this guy fired and an honest person might get a job. If you reward dishonesty (by ignoring it) then you perpetuate it.
I would complain and keep the evidence and go all the way to the parent corporation even if that took some time to track down.