Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: another day ...another scam

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default another day ...another scam

on Monday I went to the Texaco gas station on Avenida Romulo Betancourt at the Avenida Caonabo corner
    I went to the #6 pump and told the guy ...fill up the tank with regular....when he was finished I check the pump and the amount owed was 1530.00 pesos....I paid for the gas with my credit card and off I went ….a few minutes later as I was driving I glanced at the receipt and it was for 1930.00......I thought maybe I was mistaken and it was 1930.00....no point going back now.

so this morning I deliberately went back to the same gas station...which is close to my apt and I again went to pump #6...and the same guy was working the pump...lucky me...I again asked him to fill the tank with regular...he filled the tank with 1930.00 and again I paid with credit card....when he handed me the receipt it was for 2930.00...and that's when the **** hit the fan....I refused to sign ...told him he was a ladrone and that he had pulled the same scam on Monday....I went into speak with a manager or the boss...nobody really in charge ...when I went back out the attendant handed me back 1000.00 and then wanted me to sign the receipt....I grabbed my 1000.00 and held onto both copies of the receipts from the credit card company
    is there anything else I could have done?
    the attendants name is GREGORIO SANTANA...…..so just beware and keep your eyes open

2. Likes KyleMackey liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Attention to details - take it to your credit card and file a claim for services not received. Stay away from this specific business, let it be and move on.

$1000 Pesos are not enough to argue about, lesson learned.

4. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I go to the same station as often as humanly possibly

This is no NEW scam... a very old one
    Once - I have been nicked -- your boy is a regular cheater = daily it seems

Watch the pump .. check the receipt....
    Personally, i opened an account... I sign for my gas and pay monthly

6. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How the pump #6 guy would profit from this?

Does the owner pay them the surplus they make as a cash payout or how does he, the pump guy, get the cheated amount when it was paid with CC? I don"t understand...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    How the pump #6 guy would profit from this?

Does the owner pay them the surplus they make as a cash payout or how does he, the pump guy, get the cheated amount when it was paid with CC? I don"t understand...
    He could be in cahoots with the gal doing the books? They split the extra the extra cash.

Or he could "sell" that 1,000 pesos worth of gas again, and pocket the 1000 cash. The income for the day would balance with the amount of fuel sold.

9. Likes caribmike, slowmo, irishpaddy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the one thing I ALWAYS pay cash for. Also keep my eyes peeled during the whole process.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

11. Likes sabra, Jaime809 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You should never use any card at a gas station in the DR. No good can come of it. Pay cash.....

13. Likes Peterj, jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    You should never use any card at a gas station in the DR. No good can come of it. Pay cash.....
    Had he/she paid with cash, now he/she would've been out of 1K.

Paying with CC provides a path to get the 1K back immediately until final results of CC company investigation.

Why would he/she not pay with CC instead of cash?

The problem wasn't the means of payment, it was rather the dishonesty by the employee/gas station itself by charging more than they should've had.

15. Likes Buzzard liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post

Paying with CC provides a path to get the 1K back immediately until final results of CC company investigation.

The problem wasn't the means of payment, it was rather the dishonesty by the employee/gas station itself by charging more than they should've had.
    Don't know about you, but when I pay with cash I look at the amount on the meter before I pay. There is no way they can charge me more than the meter.

17. Likes bigbird, Peterj, KateP, Jaime809, redserge liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post

Gas stations are THE place for a rip off, always pay attention to everything and pay cash.
    Never trust anybody at a gas station...actually...never trust anybody here...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast