Renting motorcycles cheaply possible?

martes

Feb 15, 2015
When I lived in the DR obviously I had my own scooter/small motorcycle to get around.
Now I will go to the DR for a few weeks and dont plan buying one for those days.
I know that in Cabarete they rented out motorcycles, but for around 20 USD/day, which to me is quite expensive given the fact that those motorcycles are not new or anything special... also looking at Asia where you can rent scooters/motorcycles for less than 5 USD/day or in Europe I rent a (small) car for 5 EUR/day (depending the season), it seems quite pricey...

Therefore I was wondering if there are cheaper options.
One thing I remember is that many motoconchos dont actually own their motorcycle, but rent it from some guy who owns many motorcycles... not sure if that is true or if I got something wrong, but does anyone know about that?
My guess is that they wont pay 20 USD/day for a 125cc bike, does anyone know how much it is and as a foreigner (fluently speaking spanish) it is possible to use that channel to rent a motorcycle?

Thanks

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hi, I know this guy in Gaspar Hernandez. They pay a 100 pesos a day in 2017. But of course with a long term contract. Nobody would let you lease for two weeks at this rate. So you better forget this.
I think you are bound to the rentals for tourists. If you would go frequently I would buy a cheap Chinese scooter at 60.000 pesos, a 1000 euro and leave it somewhere safe. Fifty days of rent and at it is yours.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When I lived in the DR obviously I had my own scooter/small motorcycle to get around.
Now I will go to the DR for a few weeks and dont plan buying one for those days.
I know that in Cabarete they rented out motorcycles, but for around 20 USD/day, which to me is quite expensive given the fact that those motorcycles are not new or anything special... also looking at Asia where you can rent scooters/motorcycles for less than 5 USD/day or in Europe I rent a (small) car for 5 EUR/day (depending the season), it seems quite pricey...

Therefore I was wondering if there are cheaper options.
One thing I remember is that many motoconchos dont actually own their motorcycle, but rent it from some guy who owns many motorcycles... not sure if that is true or if I got something wrong, but does anyone know about that?
My guess is that they wont pay 20 USD/day for a 125cc bike, does anyone know how much it is and as a foreigner (fluently speaking spanish) it is possible to use that channel to rent a motorcycle?

Thanks

If the $20 a day includes insurance than it sounds like a fair price, especially vs. renting a car. This is not Southeast Asia so that comparison is meaningless. Unless you know someone locally it's going to be tough finding a cheaper rental. Buenos suarte'.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Haggle and haggle some more, I guess for two weeks you can bring it down a bit, that $20 is a daily rate, tourists pick it up for a day or two, so you can try that....

The motoconcho guys are quite a different story, they are renting for a year, and they know the renter, and he knows where he lives, and where he family is, and if he has any collateral in case he ruined the bike, different story altogether than a gringo...