traffic fines to go up

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as you may know the president delivered his regular rendición de cuentas on the 27th. one of the main points was the increase of the minimum salary in the public sector from 5,117 to a whooping 10,000 pesos.
the minimum salary is a base for all sorts of fines in DR, from traffic fines to sanctions for environmental violations. so these are also expected to go up.
https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/alza-del-salario-minimo-encareceria-las-multas-EA12211324

for those who are interested, dr1 news regarding danilo's speech:
https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.p...ursday-28-February-2019?p=1937294#post1937294

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
as you may know the president delivered his regular rendición de cuentas on the 27th. one of the main points was the increase of the minimum salary in the public sector from 5,117 to a whooping 10,000 pesos.
the minimum salary is a base for all sorts of fines in DR, from traffic fines to sanctions for environmental violations. so these are also expected to go up.
https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/alza-del-salario-minimo-encareceria-las-multas-EA12211324

for those who are interested, dr1 news regarding danilo's speech:
https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.p...ursday-28-February-2019?p=1937294#post1937294

Most people in the DR have not taken these fines seriously. An increase might work as a deterrent, but probably not.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Times have changed LT...
The new traffic fine system (computerized) is very good/accurate.

I had a clean Buena Conducta until it came along... and pulled up a 2011 ticket.

I expect you won't be renewing a drivers license without paying your fines...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Times have changed LT...

I had a clean Buena Conducta until it came along... and pulled up a 2011 ticket.

Hand them your US license, unless they say it is no longer acceptable

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Had to renew my insurance 2 days ago and, accoring to the agent, your foreign drivers license is good for 3 months.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Had to renew my insurance 2 days ago and, accoring to the agent, your foreign drivers license is good for 3 months.

Tickets on your foreign license are also entered into the system. I know I have 2 of them entered there, good that they are not linked to either my passport or cedula. no problem with renewing dominican license or marbet

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One less thing for me to worry about or be bothered with
while living here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Times have changed LT...

Alida got a ticket last month for pulling our motorcycle trailer without a tag (never bothered to get one and it's been 10 years since we built it.) Her DL also expired.

So she went to renew the license and was told she could not until the trailer ticket was settled. So we are deep into the DR bureaucracy to get a home-built motorcycle trailer I designed properly licensed, which includes engineering drawings by an engineer or architect. So far so good. The inspector said it was the best he's ever seen!

Times, indeed, are a-changing. The more the various gubmint divisions have a functioning database, the faster things will change.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hand them your US license, unless they say it is no longer acceptable
Hopefully, the police don’t understand the 90 day rule
See below

Alida got a ticket last month for pulling our motorcycle trailer without a tag (never bothered to get one and it's been 10 years since we built it.) Her DL also expired.

So she went to renew the license and was told she could not until the trailer ticket was settled. So we are deep into the DR bureaucracy to get a home-built motorcycle trailer I designed properly licensed, which includes engineering drawings by an engineer or architect. So far so good. The inspector said it was the best he's ever seen!

Times, indeed, are a-changing. The more the various gubmint divisions have a functioning database, the faster things will change.

Don’t bother sharing this new type of system with the Residency Thread...
They won’t like hearing they are actually recognized in the system

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
.....So we are deep into the DR bureaucracy to get a home-built motorcycle trailer I designed properly licensed, which includes engineering drawings by an engineer or architect. So far so good. The inspector said it was the best he's ever seen!

Wow, you don't need anything close to that to licence a home built trailer in TGWN. Times certainly are changing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Why would a foreign driver's license be valid for 3 months if you are here on a tourist card that is valid for 30 days?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Why would a foreign driver's license be valid for 3 months if you are here on a tourist card that is valid for 30 days?

It's valid as long as you're legal in-country, up to 90 days. Dealt with this when I had the work visa.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Hopefully, the police don’t understand the 90 day rule
Never underestimate the intelligence or knowledge of law enforcement. I have to laugh. I once presented a US driver's license--albeit foolishly--with my recently renewed residency card. Mr. AMET respectfully reminded me that I had 90 days to get a DR driver's license, and that I was a "few" days into my residency. I smiled and thanked the officer.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I say again two books that can prepare your mind for what you will find in the Dee Ah are Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you are driving on a foreign licence, it is a good idea to take a photocopy of your passport page showing the most recent entry stamp. If you are stopped or have an accident you will need to show when you entered the country to prove that you are within the 90 days. It could avoid a lot of hassle, especially if you are involved in an accident.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never underestimate the intelligence or knowledge of law enforcement. I have to laugh. I once presented a US driver's license--albeit foolishly--with my recently renewed residency card. Mr. AMET respectfully reminded me that I had 90 days to get a DR driver's license, and that I was a "few" days into my residency. I smiled and thanked the officer.

hahaha
I wrote that for the benefit of those naysayers.... to whom nothing can go wrong by overstaying

I am in total agreement with you

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's valid as long as you're legal in-country, up to 90 days. Dealt with this when I had the work visa.

It is very rare to find someone with a work visa. You might be the only one I have heard of in 16 years.

Someone from the US or Canada is legally in the DR with a tourist card for 30 days. NOT 90 days.

By your comment, their out of country license is valid for 30 days.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Some from the US or Canada is legally in the DR with a tourist card for 30 days. NOT 90 days.
There are more ways to be legal besides a tourist card.

Which you already know.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk