Torque Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend has bought a car - barely roadworthy and intends to fix it.

One missing piece of the puzzle is the wrench
Any ideas where to buy one in this country?

LOts of parts shipped in already... but forgot the wrench....typical

Also... a windshield - 2001 Jaguar S Type... auto dim feature - no rain sensor or heating function

THe part search is a challenge -- to say the least
not just here--- USA too

The Good News???
It truly appears to have only 40,000 miles on it...I mean spotless inside .. door sills etc
I actually believe the mileage.

But Jesus - the car is old enough to vote !!!

And flies low.... very little clearance...especially until the new ssuspension system gets installed

Which is why he needs the torque wrench

Any help will be appreciated

North Coast... but like our Pal Paladin
Have Gun - Will travel

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Ochoa in Santiago is a good bet. They have some good quality hand tools.

Windshield could be a tricky one. Can't even find one on eBay.

Your friend likes a challenge! Those S types were pretty mediocre at best. Very unloved in the UK. They sell for hundreds of pounds now Unless it's a Type R with the supercharged V8.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I had a 2005, 2.7 diesel for two years and loved it.
Did you look wel for the windshield? Same as windscreen not?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nope... smaller engine...

He's thrilled -- I'm confused
dumbest thing I've ever seen

Stumped on the windshield... waitlisted here & there

Just a money pit... and no parts here

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Order a torque wrench off Amazon or eBay they are not expensive and it could be here in 6 days. Way faster than he will get a windshield.
Reminds me of my old 441 Victor.
Loved it but couldn't find parts nor anyone that could work on it.
I'm trying to locate a ABS control module for an O6 Grand Vitara 4x4 and Automatic.
William - you had one, any ideas?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My Suzuki was an XL-7.... not your model ... sorry

Beeza - thx.. Ochoa will get a visit

Fulano.. been there.. no matter what it says , they don't ship
he may pick up from there and buy a shipping carton/crate

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have two new Torque wrenches, both of them are in Sosua at the Self Storage unit that my friend owns. If you have no luck finding one, let me know. They cost $40 each.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Frank - I'll ask him about it

He ordered one but sent it to the wrong address.. his home, not the mudanza

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My friend has bought a car - barely roadworthy and intends to fix it.

One missing piece of the puzzle is the wrench
Any ideas where to buy one in this country?

LOts of parts shipped in already... but forgot the wrench....typical

Also... a windshield - 2001 Jaguar S Type... auto dim feature - no rain sensor or heating function

THe part search is a challenge -- to say the least
not just here--- USA too

The Good News???
It truly appears to have only 40,000 miles on it...I mean spotless inside .. door sills etc
I actually believe the mileage.

But Jesus - the car is old enough to vote !!!

And flies low.... very little clearance...especially until the new ssuspension system gets installed

Which is why he needs the torque wrench

Any help will be appreciated

North Coast... but like our Pal Paladin
Have Gun - Will travel

you need to know what kind of torque numbers you are going to be applying to the bolts. torque wrenches come in various sizes. there are quarter inch, three eights, half inch torque wrenches. if you only need to torque small pressures, a quarter inch is fine. you might need bigger, depending on the application.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Suspension fixing -- is the job

Right- he might need bigger
I expect Frank's for motorcycle use

i would suspect that the bolts in certain areas of the suspension might require more torque than bolts in other areas. he should research this before buying something which is going to break the first time he tries to tighten a bolt with the required amount of pressure.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bellon also has quite a few tools for autos. The socket set I bought there is KING TONY. Not top of the line but durable and well made sockets. Gorgon is correct about torque wrenches. For suspension maybe he can go with either white-knuckle tight or red-face tight, if he is a white guy. We used torque multipliers when attaching rotor heads on helicopters.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Whatever you do, do NOT buy a cheap torque wrench. I have encountered more than one broken bolt tightened with a cheap torque wrench, and more than one bolt undertorqued.

You can get away with a cheap set of sockets and wrenches. Not with a torque wrench. A torque wrench is a precision instrument.

And a good torque wrench needs to be calibrated occasionally and will cost $75-125+. Stay away from the Harbor Freight/Northern Tool types because they are not accurate, are prone to getting quickly out of spec and the innards break, or even worse, don't break when they should.

CDI, Performance Tools, Chicago Pneumatic and Neiko make solid "click" units that will last a lifetime under $250.

A torque wrench is the single most misunderstood and underused tool is a shade-tree mechanics chest...IF he has one.

That said, I have a couple of cheapies in my chest I'd be happy to send your way, ww.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Been a while since I used a torque wrench ; but I recall they came in Inch-pounds AND FOOT-POUNDS..... better be sure.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
you need to know what kind of torque numbers you are going to be applying to the bolts. torque wrenches come in various sizes. there are quarter inch, three eights, half inch torque wrenches. if you only need to torque small pressures, a quarter inch is fine. you might need bigger, depending on the application.
GORGON-sent you car buyer- named Annette. Let me know if she reaches you. Hope your cell hasn't changed.

William, so your guy needs a set of wrenches? Suspension bolts require sensible tightening. Rebuilding heads/ valves, etc. requires torque wrenches.

Are you talking about an impact gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.