Any Dominicans interested in ancestry! I have the Holy Grail!

LaurAD.

Mar 1, 2019
In past threads about Dominican ancestry, people bemoaned the fact that Familias Dominicanas, the volumes that provide names of those who lived on the island as far back as the 1700's, are hard to come by. Well I have the first three volumes at the moment, so if anyone who is interested in geneology and already has names as far back as the early-mid 1800's, I can do look up names for you if you'd like. Only last names up to G right now.

I myself haven't been able to find much information on my ancestors, but maybe your luck is better than mine.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
In past threads about Dominican ancestry, people bemoaned the fact that Familias Dominicanas, the volumes that provide names of those who lived on the island as far back as the 1700's, are hard to come by. Well I have the first three volumes at the moment, so if anyone who is interested in geneology and already has names as far back as the early-mid 1800's, I can do look up names for you if you'd like. Only last names up to G right now.

I myself haven't been able to find much information on my ancestors, but maybe your luck is better than mine.

Yes, I'm interested. Last name: "Genao." Tell me what you find. As far as i know, we come from a long line of criminals, before that pirates, and before pirates, snake oil salesmen.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Very interesting!!
I'm doing my family tree at this moment. My moms line I have been able to go back to 1530. The nice thing about Holland is that almost everything is digitized so research is easy. Germany is a pain in the a$$ because one has to go through the registry offices of the cities but they only have records from 1860 on and anything older one has to go through church books etc.
Research takes a long time in Germany and I still have to enter the Italian records because my great grandmother was Italian.
One thing for sure I got my work cut out for me.
My daughter has Dominican blood and I always thought that might be impossible to try to trace her mom's roots but you gave me some hope. ;)
Looking for Martinez and Lara.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I'm interested in Amaro. I've found it in Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Italy and the DR, where I'm from.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have 3 of the books, I know one of them is the O-P volume, not sure of the others. I’m in DR now, will report back when I return to the US next month.

Meanwhile, there is an amazing amount of information online now, back into 1700s and sometimes before, on both www.familysearch.org and ancestry.com. First is free (the Mormons), ancestry charges, but they’ll give you 2 weeks free to try it. Astounding info on Ancestry and lots of trees, especially if your ancestry goes back to the Spaniards who settled in Santo Domingo

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Ancestry is fascinating stuff, I found some famous connections for a friend with French/Metis ancestry a few years ago. I did extensive research on my own family and found it extremely difficult on the British side. Even surnames that aren't really common are difficult, and one census will have 10 families with the same name. I had a very hard time confirming the right person. Catholic records made it easier to verify due to the baptismal and marriage records.

As far as Dominican ancestry goes, I'd love to find out more for my kids. OP- the names are all beyond G, so I will wait for AlterEgo. I would be needing J, R, O, Z.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Love to find out about Feliz - Mr Matilda's surname from Barahona. Auryn if you pm me I will let you have my mum's email. She is an historian in the UK and am sure will be able to point you in the right direction. She is always helping people to trace their ancestors.

Matilda

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have 3 of the books, I know one of them is the O-P volume, not sure of the others. I’m in DR now, will report back when I return to the US next month.

Meanwhile, there is an amazing amount of information online now, back into 1700s and sometimes before, on both www.familysearch.org and ancestry.com. First is free (the Mormons), ancestry charges, but they’ll give you 2 weeks free to try it. Astounding info on Ancestry and lots of trees, especially if your ancestry goes back to the Spaniards who settled in Santo Domingo
I think the Mormons also took images of the slaves baptism books too. That’s one of the advantages descendants of slaves from Spanish colonies have over those from colonies of other nations as far as researching their heritage along the African line, if they so wish. Spanish law obligated that all slaves be baptised and recorded. It was also encouraged that single slave men and women married and formed families, and many of the slaves marriage books also exists.

Obviously, this doesn’t mean that all Dominicans are able to trace their heritage along the African line, because a significant proportion descend from blacks that migrated to Dominican territory from former English or French colonies and well after slavery ended. For those that do descend from legitimate Spanish slaves the information exists to complete the family tree.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think the Mormons also took images of the slaves baptism books too. That’s one of the advantages descendants of slaves from Spanish colonies have over those from colonies of other nations as far as researching their heritage along the African line, if they so wish. Spanish law obligated that all slaves be baptised and recorded. It was also encouraged that single slave men and women married and formed families, and many of the slaves marriage books also exists.

Obviously, this doesn’t mean that all Dominicans are able to trace their heritage along the African line, because a significant proportion descend from blacks that migrated to Dominican territory from former English or French colonies and well after slavery ended. For those that do descend from legitimate Spanish slaves the information exists to complete the family tree.

Very interesting! I’ve seen records for “free black” under race. I wondered about those not free.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Look for Bueno, Gil and Custodio for me, pls. Will appreciate it lots.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My name my parents could trace back to 1629. But that was in Germany of course.

I would like to know if you have anything about Alcantara please. Thanks :)

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Dominican here, with a poor man's surname: Almonte

Here's hoping it doesn't come from the Iberian peninsula.

Gracias de antemano.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Dominican here, with a poor man's surname: Almonte

Here's hoping it doesn't come from the Iberian peninsula.

Gracias de antemano.

Lucifer, brother, how you been!??

MY last name is the poor man's surname as well, and rife with illegality as well. Oh well, these are the cards we are dealt in life sometimes.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
My name my parents could trace back to 1629. But that was in Germany of course.

I would like to know if you have anything about Alcantara please. Thanks :)

I still haven't gotten passed 1853 the year my great grandfather was born, forget about my grandma, my dad's mom, couldn't even locate her parents in Duesseldorf. Germany is a pain in the behind to do research, how did you do it?
Holland is a piece of cake, was able to do my mom's line back to 1530 and did that within 3 days!!!

LaurAD.

Mar 1, 2019
Yeah genealogy research is both a pain and really fun! We both have our work cut out for us, so when I get the later volumes, I'll let you know what I find!

LaurAD.

Mar 1, 2019
No Amaro, unfortunately. I wasn't able to find some of my family names either, so these volumes aren't as comprehensive as I'd like, but they're still a treasure in dominican genealogy. Good luck on your future research!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I still haven't gotten passed 1853 the year my great grandfather was born, forget about my grandma, my dad's mom, couldn't even locate her parents in Duesseldorf. Germany is a pain in the behind to do research, how did you do it?
Holland is a piece of cake, was able to do my mom's line back to 1530 and did that within 3 days!!!

I did not do it. My Grandpa started it and my Dad and Uncle continued with it, definitly not a 3 day task lol, how exactly not sure, visiting church archives etc. I suppose. My uncle was a surgeon but he studied theology for a couple years to become a catholic priest (before he met my aunt, cough :)), but he still was very good connected to anything church related all his life. I guess he knew whom to contact etc.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No Amaro, unfortunately. I wasn't able to find some of my family names either, so these volumes aren't as comprehensive as I'd like, but they're still a treasure in dominican genealogy. Good luck on your future research!

No Alcantara? :)

LaurAD.

Mar 1, 2019

Yes, it's amazing what I've been able to find online. My goal is to reach the ancestors who first settled in the DR, although I don't know how realistic that is. The 1840's are as far back as I've gotten so far, and many of them born and died in La Vega.