Deslinde!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday we went to the land office in San Cristobal and left with our deslinde!

It took 4 years. Yes you read that right. Most of the last year delay was because we wanted my name on it (the original title from 1977 only had Mr AE on it).

Now onto getting the deslinde for the 9 tareas behind that parcel, which should go smoothly. (Haha, wishful thinking!)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Three of ours were completed in 4 months, we are still waiting on three others, with one about two years since measured.

Sep 4, 2012
I wouldn't had spend no time pursuing such thing much less 4 years. The title is on your husband name already why the extra energy on this?

:disappoin

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I wouldn't had spend no time pursuing such thing much less 4 years. The title is on your husband name already why the extra energy on this?

:disappoin

Title is diffrent from deslinde, i think.

Normally you cant sell w/o a deslinde, anymore...... of course in reality you can.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Title is diffrent from deslinde, i think.

Normally you cant sell w/o a deslinde, anymore...... of course in reality you can.

A property can be sold once without a deslinde. However, the buyer is taking a tremendous risk as without a deslinde there is no actual proof that the seller truly owns the property. Lots of nightmare stories about people buying and then finding out the person they paid didn’t own it. We’d never buy anything without a deslinde.

We’re getting up there in age, so wanted the deslinde in place to make things easier for the survivor or or kids that sell it. Can you imagine me trying to sell it without my name on the title? Our marriage was never registered in DR, we were married in NY in 1976 and never bothered. His cedula says soltero.

The law about needing a deslinde to sell is about 10 years old now, if I’m not mistaken.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
At present there is a very disturbing situation concerning land ownership in Luperon/LaSabana.
Quite violent , as a matter of fact.
A bit like the old wild west stories.

My friends and me bought townhouses in the past that were assured a Deslinde would be issued. There years later we found out the properties and buildings were not even registered; even though it was part of a planned sub-division. Three years later we got the titles from the courts..... whole thing was a scam to get us to pay for the buildings then later sell the whole thing off to some other unsuspecting buyer ... then kick our assets out. We beat them at their own tricks by suing for Titles.
But the entire project ''Public Green Zones'' including pool were up for sale six months ago..... including the town houses with titles.
It is just so much fun dealing with the honesty of the local Ex-Pats who are in the Real Estate Development business.
Both Realtor and Developer have since diseased and we deal with phantom family members who want to cash in on the apparent windfall.
This land project was represented by the most respected Law Firm in RD.
But the deals were kept from them... so we had a double edged sword cutting away here.
The reputation of the Law Firm and recommendation by local Government gave us the false confidence that led us into this Ship-Storm. Buyer beware !!
Deslinde Titles are very important as are reputable sellers.
Thats all I got to say about that.
Russell

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If a property doesn't have a dislinde - don't buy it! If your property doesn't have a dislinde - don't plan on selling it any time soon. Only an idiot will buy it without one. Apply for your dislinde tomorrow.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
If a property doesn't have a dislinde - don't buy it! If your property doesn't have a dislinde - don't plan on selling it any time soon. Only an idiot will buy it without one. Apply for your dislinde tomorrow.

The problem can be expense but also weird titles.
Campo titles are something like : from The mango tree to the road and from The mango tree to the electricity pole.
Of course said mango tree has long been cut down, and the electricity pole moved a couple of meters along, so it is open to interpretation.
Then over the course of years, you gift or sell a piece of your land to, say a family member, even with a notorial title. But since they didnt record the transaction at the tribunal de tierra (?) and you still have the original title, un-modified, well you have to be very motivated to un-tangle the whole mess.

Also, as in AE case, you can have a deslinde for your house and the land it is built on, but no deslinde for the rest of the land.
All in all it is quite a mess, especially when you add in the fact that if you occupy land for 20+ years, it is de-facto yours.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yesterday we went to the land office in San Cristobal and left with our deslinde!

It took 4 years. Yes you read that right. Most of the last year delay was because we wanted my name on it (the original title from 1977 only had Mr AE on it).

Now onto getting the deslinde for the 9 tareas behind that parcel, which should go smoothly. (Haha, wishful thinking!)

Were you allready married in 1977 ?
If not, be sure Mr AE goes before an avogado notarial, to make dispositions that if he should pass away before you, that you get the house/land. And not children or siblings.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Is there an easy way to check/verify a deslinde for a property?

My Lawyer says there is a registry at the Municipal Government Office.
This is where he found out about the scam about our properties.
Since that initial challenge was identified we only buy Deslinde titled land.
Russell

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Well my wife bought one that was without deslinde completed but had property title and the deslinde was in process, she paid only a portion of the price and pays the rest when the deslinde is completed and the blue coloured Title is given by the land court in La Vega ( who are actually quite efficient) She contacted one of the judges , whom is from Jarabacoa and was assured that the delinde was in process.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well my wife bought one that was without deslinde completed but had property title and the deslinde was in process, she paid only a portion of the price and pays the rest when the deslinde is completed and the blue coloured Title is given by the land court in La Vega ( who are actually quite efficient) She contacted one of the judges , whom is from Jarabacoa and was assured that the delinde was in process.

That solves the problem somewhat, assuming that the deposit will be returned if the deslinde is unable to provide clear title, in which, case I would want that deposit to be held in my attorney's escrow account.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The problem can be expense but also weird titles.
Campo titles are something like : from The mango tree to the road and from The mango tree to the electricity pole.
Of course said mango tree has long been cut down, and the electricity pole moved a couple of meters along, so it is open to interpretation.
Then over the course of years, you gift or sell a piece of your land to, say a family member, even with a notorial title. But since they didnt record the transaction at the tribunal de tierra (?) and you still have the original title, un-modified, well you have to be very motivated to un-tangle the whole mess.

Also, as in AE case, you can have a deslinde for your house and the land it is built on, but no deslinde for the rest of the land.
All in all it is quite a mess, especially when you add in the fact that if you occupy land for 20+ years, it is de-facto yours.

This is known as a "metes and bounds" survey. Fairly common in many parts of the US - especially the northeast in the countryside.

Once you have a deslinde on your house and the property it sits on, it doesn't matter if the surrounding property has a deslinde or not.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Were you allready married in 1977 ?
If not, be sure Mr AE goes before an avogado notarial, to make dispositions that if he should pass away before you, that you get the house/land. And not children or siblings.

Yes, we married in 1976. I suppose we should go through the process of registering it with DR and updating his cedula

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yes, we married in 1976. I suppose we should go through the process of registering it with DR and updating his cedula

Half-covered then lol.

I brought it up because i recently discovered the DR inheritance laws are based on the older french laws----napoleonic, since modified in France.
The surviving spouse gets nothing. ( well in your case, at the least you have 50 % ---- whereas in my case I would have got zilch of my wife passed away before me, as land and house were hers prior to wedding------ would have gone to children, except we/she dont have any, so it goes to her siblings. ).