Hello DR1

cmagor

Mar 2, 2019
Canadian here, been to a number of places Caribbean/Central/South American but visit later this month will be first time in DR.

Will be retiring later this year and I'm scouting for somewhere to spend 2-3 months next winter to get away from our lovely weather. I will be going to the Puerto Plata area to check out a few places located online in a couple of weeks.

One place I have earmarked (and am considering staying this time) is La Perla in Sosua. However, I stumbled upon a thread on here yesterday that suggests this may be not the most suitable for my purpose, perhaps being on the seedy side and a haven for mongers. Can anyone tell me if this is this an echo from the past, or is it still the case?

Thanks for any input!

Jul 28, 2014
There is no shortage of places to rent in Sosua, it would be better if you had some specifics regarding your wants/needs?

cmagor

Mar 2, 2019
Good suggestion!

Not specifically looking in Sosua, but Puerto Plata area generally. It is for my wife and I, January to March 2020. 1 or (preferably) 2 bedroom apartment, furnished, air-conditioning, wi-fi, no or few stairs, easy walking distance of groceries and public transit, reasonably close to a public square/market/park and beach or malecon. Looking to pay no more than US$750.00 per month.

If there is a better forum to post this, moderator please advise and I'll start a new thread there.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Welcome to the board. I tend to like Costambar. It holds a nice expat community, and you can query it on google. Also, a few folks on the board live there.

cmagor

Mar 2, 2019
Yikes! - forgot an important one....

Must be pet-friendly as we will be bringing our dog along!