2001 Jaguar Windshield

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
after Torque Wrench comes broken windshield...

believe it or not...
there's a company in STI that will MAKE you a windshield and deliver it

My friend has ordered and PAID for it....
waiting for delivery....and inspection.....

anybody ever hear of this outfit ???

custom windshields.... only in RD....WOW!!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Interesting indeed. Would you mind asking your friend to enquire if they can make a windshield for a 1991 Porsche 968 cabrio with embedded Fm antenna? A very rare beast indeed, and mine is the only one on the island.

It's not majorly urgent. It has a crack at the top and doesn't distract from driving. But as my car is in mint condition it would be nice to get done one day.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
or the 'crack fix' beeza..... a small kit

But I'll get the details for you
his has the AutoDim feature ... not heating or rain sensor...

how specialized they are ???? the BIG question

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Interesting indeed. Would you mind asking your friend to enquire if they can make a windshield for a 1991 Porsche 968 cabrio with embedded Fm antenna? A very rare beast indeed, and mine is the only one on the island.

It's not majorly urgent. It has a crack at the top and doesn't distract from driving. But as my car is in mint condition it would be nice to get done one day.

i hope ww's guy can help you, because a 968 windshield is unobtanium. if car part.com does not locate it, you are not in a good place..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
after Torque Wrench comes broken windshield...

believe it or not...
there's a company in STI that will MAKE you a windshield and deliver it

My friend has ordered and PAID for it....
waiting for delivery....and inspection.....

anybody ever hear of this outfit ???

custom windshields.... only in RD....WOW!!!
Interesting. And possibly explains an odd situation from a few weeks ago.

Our E350 developed a good sized crack in the huge windshield. I really didn't want to have the squeezed/vacuum glue repair. So the guy in La Vega who specialized in all things Ford said he'd make some calls about the windshield.

Next day he called and said he'd have one in a few days. We took the van to him and some guys from Santiago had a perfect windshield, not OEM, as well as new gasket, and installed it for RD$9000. Wow! Maybe they're the same custon windshield outfit, because even a non-OEM windshield for that vehicle is waaaay over $250 before shipping to the DR and installation with a new gasket.

It even has a decent upper tint to it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
or the 'crack fix' beeza..... a small kit

But I'll get the details for you
his has the AutoDim feature ... not heating or rain sensor...

how specialized they are ???? the BIG question

The auto dim mirror in my XK leaked black liquid onto the wooden centre console and stained it.

Jan 9, 2004

While this will not help you much........know that your windshield is available new in the US from a number of sources. Prices range from $500-$1,000 installed, the upper end likely for the embedded antenna feature.

Your best bet is to investigate further the local glass guy referenced in the above posts.

Just know that your glass is available here new from multiple sources..........

For a closer connection with other 968 owners for used parts and to get and also give advice, I would suggest you join the 968 forum......www.968.net

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

There is a Porsche wrecker outside Toronto called Nineapart. When I had my 928 they were lifesavers on a few parts. With all the shipping companies that ship here I would try them. Crating it won't be cheap.
Good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

beeza
the saga is NOT going well for the windscreen

The repair shop is behind a sliding piece of tin metal.... literally a hole in the wall.

My friend is making every mistake in the world -
he paid the mechanic up front, has no contact info for the source and has yet to recieve the windshield.
Thestory varies as to whether it's in Sosua, RSJ or if the edges are satisfactory.
Ultimately, it reverts to being in STI

I think you should contact a good body shop and find your own way.
Sorry I couldn't help.... but I surely don't you to get involved in this fiasco !!