Passport Control

missiondr

May 15, 2002
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT THE IMMIGRATION IS CHECKING IN THE COMPUTER OF THE AIRPORT WHEN I ENTER?

MANY YEARS AGO, THEY DIDNT HAD ANY COMPUTERS, IF SOMEBODY COME, THEY ONLY STAMPED THE PASSPORT
AND THAT WAS IT.

AND NOW? THEY REGISTRAR THE ENTRY ONLY OR THEY ARE CONNECTED TO THE POLICE (Interpol/others) TOO?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
If you hold a U.S. passport which can be read by code by certain computers and your data information shows up on the screen in which they proceed to double check your information. Dominican passports numbers are entered into another system I believe and the holders information also shows up. I have seen though as I waited in line for my passport to go through the computer that was able to scan U.S. Passports, certain dominicans who obiviously either did not have current info or were not the holder of the passport slip the immigration officers a twenty and they were allowed to proceed through with out there passports being stamped. This is commonly done as a means of permant resident of the U.S. maintain their status in the U.S. while actually living in the DR and mailing passports back and forth as well as having someone come in on another passport.

My mouth dropped when I saw this bride take place, and the supervisors were a few feet away... so much for anti-fraud control etc. Nothing surprises me anymore when traveling and dealing with customs agents overseas...