Investing in Sosua

Michi313

Feb 22, 2019
Hello everyone - new to this forum.

We are looking to buy a home in Panorama Village in the hills of Sosua - does anyone here have insight into this community? Bring the good and the bad; all experiences and advice welcome.

We wanted to have an acre or over of land and a decent house so this residencial checked the boxes. I did hear an ex-pat was killed in the neighborhood when armed robbers came in to his home. Are these occurrences usually inside jobs or are expats on the North Coast targets for miscellaneous violent crimes? Are crimes involving foreigners usually committed by someone that they know or are involved with?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've go in there occasionally and find security to be pretty good. Nice area.

I think the North coast in general is safe. Usually when people get in trouble they've made some kind of mistake. You need to know your surroundings and culture as best you can. Are you new to DR or new to North Coast?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Panorama is a nice place some have better views then others, the rd to it sucks new meaning to pot hole heaven ,always tease my friends they live up there because they are broke :) be sure of your monthly fees and electricity costs it’s higher because you pay community for it not ednorte from privilege of 24 hr power.. some in fighting with management nothing serious... the killing was a while ago 6-8 yrs roughly and didn’t make sense and nothing was stolen yet three people shot , one died other two lived..it smelled of a hit gone wrong at time... other then that it’s safe, my wife hates that rd at nite says feels like ambush point on every turn :) that new house they built near entrance all glass front is really something!
Goodluck

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I would not live at the end of that dark lonely road if the house was free.
Driving that road leaves you open to being attacked, held up or worse.
In this country people are murdered to remove eye witnesses.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

I 100% agree. There are 2 speed bumps that you need to come to an almost complete stop. I wouldn't let my wife drive that road at night.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I 100% agree. There are 2 speed bumps that you need to come to an almost complete stop. I wouldn't let my wife drive that road at night.
They are drain drain culverts for heavy rains from the hills of La mulata , yeah it’s creepy at nite but with that said never heard of anything happening, scariest thing is a pack of 5-6 dogs by victors repair shop street corner running lose sometimes who don’t like cars and your slowing for potholes

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Damn, you all make it sound like the Killing Fields.

After living here a few years I make it a point to avoid being in a position where I can be victimized.
The road is a perfect design for night time hold ups. The fact that we have not heard of it happening means nothing.

Ever notice Dominicans travel in groups at night? They know something?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I would never buy in the north Coast...... its 10 years behind the rest of DR....

Perhaps its the opposite... After the AI boom on the North Coast residential properties increased, so maybe Punta Cana is ten year behind the North Coast curve.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

100% aGREED. No witness, no case.
Buyer beware.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
B.S. -- but I love the idea that the 'scarey' road helps keep the riff raff outta here though!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No one should purchase real estate anywhere in this country until they have lived full time in the area of interest for at least 6 months to a year. You can't appreciate the potential issues until you are confronted with them and have to deal with them. Any advice from sales people or promotional literature is assumed to be suspect.

The further removed you are from a town and your neighbors, the more security measures you will need to employ to discourage bad people from doing bad things.

The farther out you are, the longer it will take for help to arrive if you call 911 and the longer it will take to get you to the help you need. Suffer a heart attack in your house at the end of the paved section of El Choco Rd and you are dead before help gets there if you do not have your own AED and someone who knows how to use it.

A bad road to your neighborhood is a present day indication of potential pitfalls. A well maintained road can speak to the contrary.

Every location has it's pluses and minuses. The trick is figuring out which is which and which side of the ledger is the longer list.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wouldn't buy unless you plan on living it it forever, and do not care what happens to the property after your dirt nap.

Michi313

Feb 22, 2019
Great input - thanks everyone
By way of background, I am Dominican, born and raised in Santiago - however went to live abroad at a younger age thereby have not had as much contact with the island as I would like; obviously I go to Santiago & SD often due to family - and as an adult have traveled to the "resortish" parts of the island. I actually like the North Coast - as someone mentioned above it may be behind the rest of DR but that is precisely why we want to be there. There are areas of real beauty here and the view from Panorama Village is beautiful.

The seller has accepted the offer so too late for us to rent - although we did rent in the Sosua area before (in Residencial Hispaniola and Perla Marina) so have some sense of the area. We are not ones to be hanging out in El Batey at night and prefer Cabarete and Caleton beach to Sosua, so we likely won't be on the road at night often.