Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rent car scam

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance".
    I called my bank. It was willing to send them any proof. They refused to talk to the bank.
    Also they charged an additional $1 100 on my card as a "precautionary deposit"...………………...
    If the $13 a day was for Liability Insurance the car rental was 100% correct on this one. The credit card insurance only cover Collision Damage Waiver and it is mandatory to pay for the Liability Insurance.

Now the $1,100 hold on credit card is also standard procedure when using credit card insurance. In the event of an accident the car rental bills your credit card up to the $1,100 hold depending on the deductible. Then it becomes your responsibility to go after your credit card people to get that money back. To get it back you need every single document the credit card company may ask for...………….. I know from experience.

2. Likes RV429, Fulano2 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

After returning the car I will dispute the blackmailed charge with my bank. And will request a charge back. The Bank said it would be the smartest thing to do in my "Catch 22" situation. I signed the contract as "Was forced to sign and pay" in the signature line.
    No, DR is not excluded. I checked it beforehand. We travel the Third World countries for many years. Pretty much familiar with their corruption and snake-tricks.

When I told her that I will charge back she claimed that her machine cannot process my payment.
    In a few minutes she had a stomach spasm due to too much arroz-habichuela-con-papafrita. And run to the lavatory very fast.
    While she was there doing her hard business I told another dude to process the payment. Without referring to the charge-back this time. It worked perfect.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    If the $13 a day was for Liability Insurance the car rental was 100% correct on this one. The credit card insurance only cover Collision Damage Waiver and it is mandatory to pay for the Liability Insurance.

Now the $1,100 hold on credit card is also standard procedure when using credit card insurance. In the event of an accident the car rental bills your credit card up to the $1,100 hold depending on the deductible. Then it becomes your responsibility to go after your credit card people to get that money back. To get it back you need every single document the credit card company may ask for...………….. I know from experience.
    All rental car companies have their fleet insured with the Liability Ins. It is required by Law. We rented here many times. Never were told to pay for the "liability".

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance"........
    Click link, read article.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...erage-1273.php

What does my credit card cover?

As a perk of membership, many credit cards offer some kind of rental car protection. Generally speaking, they do not cover things such as personal injury or personal liability, although you may have that coverage through your auto insurance and health insurance. But they do typically cover collision damage and theft protection.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

All rental car companies have their fleet insured with the Liability Ins. It is required by Law. We rented here many times. Never were told to pay for the "liability".
    An you are correct, they must have Seguro de Ley Basico (Liability), they want to add the Supplemental to make extra money although aware that most CCs do cover anything beyond liability or CDW.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course they have their fleet covered and who do you think pays the bill for that coverage? The renter every time he rents a vehicle.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    An you are correct, they must have Seguro de Ley Basico (Liability), they want to add the Supplemental to make extra money although aware that most CCs do cover anything beyond liability or CDW.
    Yes. Based on this I will dispute the additional charge - since they refused to deliver on the completed and paid for online CONTRACT.
    My printed online Contract states very clearly -
    PAID IN FULL.
    REQUIRED PAYMENT AT THE TIME OF PICK-UP - $0.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Of course they have their fleet covered and who do you think pays the bill for that coverage? The renter every time he rents a vehicle.
    Not exactly. By Law the fleet must be insured from the moment the business is licensed. And each and every car must have a liability insurance ALL THE TIME. Even if none of them are rented and all seated in the parking lot.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, so I visit SIXT website.

This is what I read on SIXT website listed in their rental agreement.

Liability coverage/Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)
    If Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) is purchased the renter is protected against claims made by a third party for -bodily injury- and/or property damage sustained as a result of an accident while operating a rental vehicle.

This SL coverage provides the renter third-party liability protection up to a limit of 1.000.000 USD per accident. The purchase of Supplemental Third Party Liability Coverage is required by Sixt Dominican Republic for all rentals.

Supplemental Liability (SL) benefits will be void if vehicle driven by an unauthorized driver, diving outside the terms and conditions of the rental, driving recklessly or driving under the influence of substances or generally impaired, Other restrictions and exclusions may apply.

Supplemental Liability (SL) benefits will be void if vehicle driven by an unauthorized driver, driving outside the terms and conditions of the rental, driving recklessly or driving under the influence of substances or generally impaired. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply.

11. Likes irsav liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had that problem with Sixt there. I’ve had it with every other rental agency except them.

13. Likes irsav liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast