Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rent car scam

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rent car scam

Our vehicle is in repair.
    We booked a rent car online for this time. Specifically paid with a Credit Card that offers a free rent car insurance.
    When arrived to the Rent car office to pick up the car they refused to honor the CC insurance. Did not allow us to decline. And refused to release the car unless we pay another $13/day.
    Did you have a similar issue? How did you handle it?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t pay online in advance. WHy not better reserve and when they want to impose additional insurance or other extra fees, say you will look elsewhere?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    I wouldn’t pay online in advance. WHy not better reserve and when they want to impose additional insurance or other extra fees, say you will look elsewhere?
    In person their prices are three times higher than when booking online.
    We rent cars in this country for over ten years.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Our vehicle is in repair.
    We booked a rent car online for this time. Specifically paid with a Credit Card that offers a free rent car insurance.
    When arrived to the Rent car office to pick up the car they refused to honor the CC insurance. Did not allow us to decline. And refused to release the car unless we pay another $13/day.
    Did you have a similar issue? How did you handle it?
    Will help if you tell wich specific Rent Car did you use. My boss has an American Express and he had rent cars and declined, not problem at the airport.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Will help if you tell wich specific Rent Car did you use. My boss has an American Express and he had rent cars and declined, not problem at the airport.
    SIXT. SDQ airport office.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to ask for a manager and then you "should" be able to rent without purchasing their insurance. The agents are incentivized to sell the coverages, sometimes based on %'s so not only will they not make $$ if you don't purchase but they can actually lose $$. Talking to the manager "should" help. The owners can't force you to purchase due to their franchise agreements. Contacting the franchisor should get you a refund.
    (By renting at the airport you will usually get a much cheaper rate then the local market offices however they do add what they call a 10% airport fee. They started this practice following the lead of the states. The only difference is that in the states the airport authority collects the 10 (sometimes 12)% from the car rental company and here in the DR the Franchise owners pocket that money.

7. Likes Riva_31, Wishing you well, CristoRey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    You need to ask for a manager and then you "should" be able to rent without purchasing their insurance. The agents are incentivized to sell the coverages, sometimes based on %'s so not only will they not make $$ if you don't purchase but they can actually lose $$. Talking to the manager "should" help. The owners can't force you to purchase due to their franchise agreements. Contacting the franchisor should get you a refund.
    (By renting at the airport you will usually get a much cheaper rate then the local market offices however they do add what they call a 10% airport fee. They started this practice following the lead of the states. The only difference is that in the states the airport authority collects the 10 (sometimes 12)% from the car rental company and here in the DR the Franchise owners pocket that money.
    Of course we demanded the manager. But the young woman said he did not want to talk to us. "Either you pay extra $13/day or there is no car for you"
    We spent more than two hours there. Until his blood pressure reached 190/130.
    After that we paid.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

aMost likely they didn't ask but if not mistaken it is the renter's responsibility to provide proof that the credit card being used does indeed provide CDW insurance as NOT all credit cards provide this and some provide the coverage but exclude certain countries.

Most likely not applicable here but just a tidbit of info for renters in the future.

Was the $13 a day for CDW or liability?
    Last edited by bigbird; 03-06-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added liability question

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I've rented at the airport in the past and paid the fee's if renting for just a few days. Anything pass a week, I'll look for the local folks - cheaper and no fee's involved but you taking upon the risk that IF or should something happens, responsibility beyond liability is upon you.

The fee is where they make their money.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default add

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    aMost likely they didn't ask but if not mistaken it is the renter's responsibility to provide proof that the credit card being used does indeed provide CDW insurance as NOT all credit cards provide this and some provide the coverage but exclude certain countries.

Most likely not applicable here but just a tidbit of info for renters in the future.

Was the $13 a day for CDW or liability?
    They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance".
    I called my bank. It was willing to send them any proof. They refused to talk to the bank.
    Also they charged an additional $1 100 on my card as a "precautionary deposit".

After returning the car I will dispute the blackmailed charge with my bank. And will request a charge back. The Bank said it would be the smartest thing to do in my "Catch 22" situation. I signed the contract as "Was forced to sign and pay" in the signature line.
    No, DR is not excluded. I checked it beforehand. We travel the Third World countries for many years. Pretty much familiar with their corruption and snake-tricks.
    Last edited by irsav; 03-06-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: addition

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast