Rent car scam

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Our vehicle is in repair.
We booked a rent car online for this time. Specifically paid with a Credit Card that offers a free rent car insurance.
When arrived to the Rent car office to pick up the car they refused to honor the CC insurance. Did not allow us to decline. And refused to release the car unless we pay another $13/day.
Did you have a similar issue? How did you handle it?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I wouldn’t pay online in advance. WHy not better reserve and when they want to impose additional insurance or other extra fees, say you will look elsewhere?

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I wouldn’t pay online in advance. WHy not better reserve and when they want to impose additional insurance or other extra fees, say you will look elsewhere?

In person their prices are three times higher than when booking online.
We rent cars in this country for over ten years.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Our vehicle is in repair.
We booked a rent car online for this time. Specifically paid with a Credit Card that offers a free rent car insurance.
When arrived to the Rent car office to pick up the car they refused to honor the CC insurance. Did not allow us to decline. And refused to release the car unless we pay another $13/day.
Did you have a similar issue? How did you handle it?

Will help if you tell wich specific Rent Car did you use. My boss has an American Express and he had rent cars and declined, not problem at the airport.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You need to ask for a manager and then you "should" be able to rent without purchasing their insurance. The agents are incentivized to sell the coverages, sometimes based on %'s so not only will they not make $$ if you don't purchase but they can actually lose $$. Talking to the manager "should" help. The owners can't force you to purchase due to their franchise agreements. Contacting the franchisor should get you a refund.
(By renting at the airport you will usually get a much cheaper rate then the local market offices however they do add what they call a 10% airport fee. They started this practice following the lead of the states. The only difference is that in the states the airport authority collects the 10 (sometimes 12)% from the car rental company and here in the DR the Franchise owners pocket that money.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
You need to ask for a manager and then you "should" be able to rent without purchasing their insurance. The agents are incentivized to sell the coverages, sometimes based on %'s so not only will they not make $$ if you don't purchase but they can actually lose $$. Talking to the manager "should" help. The owners can't force you to purchase due to their franchise agreements. Contacting the franchisor should get you a refund.
(By renting at the airport you will usually get a much cheaper rate then the local market offices however they do add what they call a 10% airport fee. They started this practice following the lead of the states. The only difference is that in the states the airport authority collects the 10 (sometimes 12)% from the car rental company and here in the DR the Franchise owners pocket that money.

Of course we demanded the manager. But the young woman said he did not want to talk to us. "Either you pay extra $13/day or there is no car for you"
We spent more than two hours there. Until his blood pressure reached 190/130.
After that we paid.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
aMost likely they didn't ask but if not mistaken it is the renter's responsibility to provide proof that the credit card being used does indeed provide CDW insurance as NOT all credit cards provide this and some provide the coverage but exclude certain countries.

Most likely not applicable here but just a tidbit of info for renters in the future.

Was the $13 a day for CDW or liability?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012

I've rented at the airport in the past and paid the fee's if renting for just a few days. Anything pass a week, I'll look for the local folks - cheaper and no fee's involved but you taking upon the risk that IF or should something happens, responsibility beyond liability is upon you.

The fee is where they make their money.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
add

aMost likely they didn't ask but if not mistaken it is the renter's responsibility to provide proof that the credit card being used does indeed provide CDW insurance as NOT all credit cards provide this and some provide the coverage but exclude certain countries.

Most likely not applicable here but just a tidbit of info for renters in the future.

Was the $13 a day for CDW or liability?

They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance".
I called my bank. It was willing to send them any proof. They refused to talk to the bank.
Also they charged an additional $1 100 on my card as a "precautionary deposit".

After returning the car I will dispute the blackmailed charge with my bank. And will request a charge back. The Bank said it would be the smartest thing to do in my "Catch 22" situation. I signed the contract as "Was forced to sign and pay" in the signature line.
No, DR is not excluded. I checked it beforehand. We travel the Third World countries for many years. Pretty much familiar with their corruption and snake-tricks.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance".
I called my bank. It was willing to send them any proof. They refused to talk to the bank.
Also they charged an additional $1 100 on my card as a "precautionary deposit"...………………...

If the $13 a day was for Liability Insurance the car rental was 100% correct on this one. The credit card insurance only cover Collision Damage Waiver and it is mandatory to pay for the Liability Insurance.

Now the $1,100 hold on credit card is also standard procedure when using credit card insurance. In the event of an accident the car rental bills your credit card up to the $1,100 hold depending on the deductible. Then it becomes your responsibility to go after your credit card people to get that money back. To get it back you need every single document the credit card company may ask for...………….. I know from experience.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
After returning the car I will dispute the blackmailed charge with my bank. And will request a charge back. The Bank said it would be the smartest thing to do in my "Catch 22" situation. I signed the contract as "Was forced to sign and pay" in the signature line.
No, DR is not excluded. I checked it beforehand. We travel the Third World countries for many years. Pretty much familiar with their corruption and snake-tricks.

When I told her that I will charge back she claimed that her machine cannot process my payment.
In a few minutes she had a stomach spasm due to too much arroz-habichuela-con-papafrita. And run to the lavatory very fast.
While she was there doing her hard business I told another dude to process the payment. Without referring to the charge-back this time. It worked perfect.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
If the $13 a day was for Liability Insurance the car rental was 100% correct on this one. The credit card insurance only cover Collision Damage Waiver and it is mandatory to pay for the Liability Insurance.

Now the $1,100 hold on credit card is also standard procedure when using credit card insurance. In the event of an accident the car rental bills your credit card up to the $1,100 hold depending on the deductible. Then it becomes your responsibility to go after your credit card people to get that money back. To get it back you need every single document the credit card company may ask for...………….. I know from experience.

All rental car companies have their fleet insured with the Liability Ins. It is required by Law. We rented here many times. Never were told to pay for the "liability".

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They called it "Supplemental Liability Insurance"........

Click link, read article.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/car-rental-insurance-coverage-1273.php

What does my credit card cover?

As a perk of membership, many credit cards offer some kind of rental car protection. Generally speaking, they do not cover things such as personal injury or personal liability, although you may have that coverage through your auto insurance and health insurance. But they do typically cover collision damage and theft protection.

Sep 4, 2012
All rental car companies have their fleet insured with the Liability Ins. It is required by Law. We rented here many times. Never were told to pay for the "liability".

An you are correct, they must have Seguro de Ley Basico (Liability), they want to add the Supplemental to make extra money although aware that most CCs do cover anything beyond liability or CDW.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Of course they have their fleet covered and who do you think pays the bill for that coverage? The renter every time he rents a vehicle.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
An you are correct, they must have Seguro de Ley Basico (Liability), they want to add the Supplemental to make extra money although aware that most CCs do cover anything beyond liability or CDW.

Yes. Based on this I will dispute the additional charge - since they refused to deliver on the completed and paid for online CONTRACT.
My printed online Contract states very clearly -
PAID IN FULL.
REQUIRED PAYMENT AT THE TIME OF PICK-UP - $0.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Of course they have their fleet covered and who do you think pays the bill for that coverage? The renter every time he rents a vehicle.

Not exactly. By Law the fleet must be insured from the moment the business is licensed. And each and every car must have a liability insurance ALL THE TIME. Even if none of them are rented and all seated in the parking lot.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
OK, so I visit SIXT website.

This is what I read on SIXT website listed in their rental agreement.

Liability coverage/Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)
If Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) is purchased the renter is protected against claims made by a third party for -bodily injury- and/or property damage sustained as a result of an accident while operating a rental vehicle.

This SL coverage provides the renter third-party liability protection up to a limit of 1.000.000 USD per accident. The purchase of Supplemental Third Party Liability Coverage is required by Sixt Dominican Republic for all rentals.

Supplemental Liability (SL) benefits will be void if vehicle driven by an unauthorized driver, diving outside the terms and conditions of the rental, driving recklessly or driving under the influence of substances or generally impaired, Other restrictions and exclusions may apply.

Supplemental Liability (SL) benefits will be void if vehicle driven by an unauthorized driver, driving outside the terms and conditions of the rental, driving recklessly or driving under the influence of substances or generally impaired. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply.

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
I’ve never had that problem with Sixt there. I’ve had it with every other rental agency except them.