Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 properties... both with cisterns....5,000 gals and bigger

They are positioned on the highest point on the property.

Yes, I use an impeller for better pressure, but I get water regardless... impeller or no

Filled from a well... both

Between the well and the solar.... I am literally untraceable....
    no utility bills of any kind

2. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Cisterns certainly are bigger, but when there is no electricity our inverters will not run the pump. So we have a 550 gallon tinaco on the roof that is automatically kept filled from the cistern when there’s electricity. (Cistern is filled by submersible pump in our well).

I can’t imagine living without the tinaco.

Meanwhile, this week we had a visitor from Edesur, told Mr AE that all old contracts will be voided, new meters will be installed and we will have 24 hour electricity. Everyone around us already does, so we believe them. Time will tell, but we’ll keep the tinaco, just in case
    That.

And when you are lucky, the tinaco fills itself with the "road" water. No electricity needed.
    If needed use pump to fill tinaco from cistern.
    When pesky relatives visit, keep pump " on " all the time, when you draw water, the pump automatically starts up.

Best of 3 worlds

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    we had it removed as soon as we bought the house. we live in a pretty nice residential area, almost no one here has a tinaco on the roof. the cistern is enough.
    I wouldnt dream of a tinaco on my roof, lol.
    Build a " tower", 1) if the bloody thing bursts or leaks, you dont have water up to your ankles, 2) you can " sort" of hide it behind another structure ( like the house itself, or the outside kitchen, etc...).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    I wouldnt dream of a tinaco on my roof, lol.
    Build a " tower", 1) if the bloody thing bursts or leaks, you dont have water up to your ankles, 2) you can " sort" of hide it behind another structure ( like the house itself, or the outside kitchen, etc...).
    Yeah, but...don't you get heavy rains?

I don't care for cisterns. I grew up on wells, but here, I always worry about somebody taking the lid off. An animal crawls in and I'm taking a shower in carcass juice till it gets discovered.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Nice. Off the grid and ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. I'll bring the MRE's.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post

I don't care for cisterns. I grew up on wells, but here, I always worry about somebody taking the lid off. An animal crawls in and I'm taking a shower in carcass juice till it gets discovered.
    It has a "manhole" lid thingy, that i could secure with a padlock if needed, but i dont. No1 apart from me, lr my wife has access.
    Chlorine goes in it aswell.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

not a problem for us. two people household and the cats cannot lift the lid.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Also the " manhole " is a bit higher than ground level, and also has a small concrete "wall" like 5cm, aroumd it, so flowimg water cant get in from groumd level.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post

May not want to advertise that you've got a well ... pretty sure that you're mean to pay a set monthly rate for well water use to corraplatta.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234