Cabarete: Water Rationing on North Coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yesterday it was on the news the the DR is facing critical water shortage and the reservoirs are way down.

Our development has not had water from CORAAPPLATA since yesterday afternoon.

So, I just called the Cabarete office of CORAAPPLATA and was told that we are going to receive water every other day. I have a cistern and a pump for such situations and our development requires all homes to have that set up in it's by laws. As long as the water is every other day and power is on, it would not be a major problem for me and those so equipped.

(Unless of course they forget to turn it back on for days at a time. )

Is anyone else's water being rationed in Cabarete?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Great! The potential for more frequent power outrages due to the Hwy expansion project and now possibly water rationing until the rains return. Well at least out in the country you need a well, so you are not beholden to the water people. Should be an interesting summer.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yes. Also in Cabarete, we were told yesterday that we will have 31 hours with water, then 17 without, until further notice. Don’t ask why such odd hours, no clue.
Should be fine if there’s enough water flow in those 31 hours to fill the cistern.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Jeeeez 31 hours of water !!

I get that a month, and we are the lucky ones...... well OK, slight exaggeration, normaly we get 2 hours a day, but these last months it is every 2 days with the lack of rain and all.
Lots of folks get water one day a week.......

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Jeeeez 31 hours of water !!

I get that a month, and we are the lucky ones...... well OK, slight exaggeration, normaly we get 2 hours a day, but these last months it is every 2 days with the lack of rain and all.
Lots of folks get water one day a week.......

I’m located in an area that probably benefits from being the main tourist/hotel area of Cabarete.
We generally have 24/7 power and may receive a more generous supply of water than some outlying areas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes. Also in Cabarete, we were told yesterday that we will have 31 hours with water, then 17 without, until further notice. Don’t ask why such odd hours, no clue.
Should be fine if there’s enough water flow in those 31 hours to fill the cistern.

At least 31 + 17 = 48 which kind of fits with the every other day scenario they told me, adding the additional detail of the rather unusual timing on the 2 day cycle.

And of course, we are already off for longer than 17 hours... So keep "Dominican Time" in mind.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
NC is going through another drought. and el niño is supposed to bring more dry weather. probably a good time to contemplate better water arrangements like a bigger cistern or a well.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yesterday it was on the news the the DR is facing critical water shortage and the reservoirs are way down.

So, I just called the Cabarete office of CORAAPPLATA and was told that we are going to receive water every other day. I have a cistern and a pump for such situations and our development requires all homes to have that set up in it's by laws. As long as the water is every other day and power is on, it would not be a major problem for me and those so equipped.

We have water going off in ProCab, Cabarete too. The water company didn't tell me anything, so thanks for letting us know what's going on!

We have a cistern and tinaco on the roof too, so hopefully we will still have water, even when the power is out at the same time as the water.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
NC is going through another drought. and el niño is supposed to bring more dry weather. probably a good time to contemplate better water arrangements like a bigger cistern or a well.

Well, that's a deep subject.

January and February were slightly below El Nino temp levels.

I hope 5,000 gallons is enough to get between the outages until we get some rain.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We have had no water since November. We have a cistern and the water normally comes once a fortnight which fills up the cistern and is easily enough for 2 weeks until the next delivery. Now we have a little old man who brings a truck of water which fills up around 20% of the cistern - assuming he can find water. Sometimes it even has fish in it. That costs RD$600 and we have it once a week. No sign of any water coming at all in the near future. We live near Moncion dam and that is way down on normal levels as well.

Matilda

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, that's a deep subject.

January and February were slightly below El Nino temp levels.

I hope 5,000 gallons is enough to get between the outages until we get some rain.
I think El Niño is responsible for the drought, mostly because other islands are facing the same problem. In parts of Puerto Rico people are complaining that they hardly get any potable water due to the drought. In fact, 80% of PR is suffering from some sort of drought. I´m sure something similar is probably happening in Cuba and Jamaica too.

[video=youtube;TV5RZxMvE2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV5RZxMvE2c[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

we have 8,000 gallons cistern and it has not failed us so far, not even in the worst times. but then there are only 2 of us (plus the zoo) and we leave the garden to our pibble, so no watering precious plants daily.

wish you the best and hope things normalize soon.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
we have 8,000 gallons cistern and it has not failed us so far, not even in the worst times. but then there are only 2 of us (plus the zoo) and we leave the garden to our pibble, so no watering precious plants daily.

wish you the best and hope things normalize soon.

How many gallons would you go through in a normal month?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Apparently the DR has lost over 600 rivers and lakes in the last 20 years which seems like a crucial amount. We have had a relatively dry winter and when it does rain the ground is so hard due to it being dry it is not being soaked up by nature. We definitely could use more man made reservoirs here which would be a huge help during dry periods but we all know that one big issue is that many people don't pay for water. In the Sosua/Cabarete area Corraplata went years, even decades without issuing any bills so of course the majority of people were not paying and I can't say I blame them either. In recent years they have been getting a bit proactive about billing but also tried to backdate bills, some going back years to when the properties were owned by different owners. A real farce! Fortunately it is quite rare that we get water restrictions here though. It always makes me laugh when my family back in the UK say that they have been on water restrictions during the summer months, one of the wettest countries in Europe with hundreds or reservoirs and dams!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How many gallons would you go through in a normal month?

literally no idea. we get city water few times a week. in dry times we may get zero water for a month. at worst the water level was maybe half way. we don't waste any but don't ration it either. showers twice a day, about 4-5 loads of laundry a week, dish washing, regular cleaning. doggie gets through two buckets a day.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Apparently the DR has lost over 600 rivers and lakes in the last 20 years which seems like a crucial amount. We have had a relatively dry winter and when it does rain the ground is so hard due to it being dry it is not being soaked up by nature. We definitely could use more man made reservoirs here which would be a huge help during dry periods but we all know that one big issue is that many people don't pay for water. In the Sosua/Cabarete area Corraplata went years, even decades without issuing any bills so of course the majority of people were not paying and I can't say I blame them either. In recent years they have been getting a bit proactive about billing but also tried to backdate bills, some going back years to when the properties were owned by different owners. A real farce! Fortunately it is quite rare that we get water restrictions here though. It always makes me laugh when my family back in the UK say that they have been on water restrictions during the summer months, one of the wettest countries in Europe with hundreds or reservoirs and dams!

You don't pay in Jarabacoa, you get cut off. They aren't as fast as Edenorte but they aren't slow either.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Come to Los Cerros - there is enough water flowing in the streets every day & all day and night from the water tank overflowing and a few leaky mains to supply the entire Residential Hispanola and Casa Linda with their daily needs including law watering and refilling pools

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I wonder if the powers that be will figure out that this is a great time to dredge the reservoirs to make up for the (no) maintenance...

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You would think with all the previous yrs of rain and flooding the rivers would be full :(

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is the sources of these rivers that are drying up, being turned into a reservoir or diverted. A stable river requires a stable source or it is nothing more than a temporary drainage ditch.