Purchasing Property

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Currently, yes you can.

Do you really want to or should you, would require more info and a much longer response.

Michi313

Feb 22, 2019
Yes you can - we are going thorough this now - I believe the glitch is on financing (if you need to) - if you are paying all cash it is preferred - or current owner can finance to you like a bank would over a period of time

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There are no restrictions on foreign Individuals or entities owning or leasing real estate in the Dominican Republic. The process for purchasing or leasing real estate for foreigners is exactly the same as for Dominicans

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are no restrictions on foreign Individuals or entities owning or leasing real estate in the Dominican Republic. The process for purchasing or leasing real estate for foreigners is exactly the same as for Dominicans

You mention foreign entities. Would that include a LLC registered in the US?

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
We purchased last December. Had to produce financial statements, income, titles to property here in the U.S. Along with bank statements and personal references from both here and there. Similar in many ways to a purchase here. Also needed a Dominican co-signer even though we paid in full. U.S. banks look down on foreign property purchases so we just took out a second mortgage and they could care less what you do with the money.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Can someone please explain the need for a Dominican co-signer? I understand what it means to co-sign for someone in the US but not here. I know people that co-sign for others and they have no job, no house they own, no car and no savings account.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Can someone please explain the need for a Dominican co-signer? I understand what it means to co-sign for someone in the US but not here. I know people that co-sign for others and they have no job, no house they own, no car and no savings account.

I was wondering what the basis of this is myself. The DR legal system is rife with "vouching" requirements. Getting people or entities to vouch for you is very common.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know why a co-signer would be required. Maybe the law has changed, but I bought my property here eight years ago without one.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
As in anythinng, due diligence is require, especially when you are buying property here.

All real estate has risks no matter where you buy in the world....just happens we are talking about Dominican Republic here.

The core problem here is with these apartment buildings-the condominium law of 1958 and its interpretation by the governing body Tierra Tribunales......

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
All real estate has risks no matter where you buy in the world....just happens we are talking about Dominican Republic here.

The core problem here is with these apartment buildings-the condominium law of 1958 and its interpretation by the governing body Tierra Tribunales......

Not everyone buys condos. There are houses too.

juanmac

Mar 21, 2019
Yes you can - we are going thorough this now - I believe the glitch is on financing (if you need to) - if you are paying all cash it is preferred - or current owner can finance to you like a bank would over a period of time

Financing is one of the big issues. Rates/terms at DR banks just aren't competitive with those in N.America. You're looking at at least 7-8%, amortization of only 10-15 years. And usually, you need at least 35% down.

The other big problem is the convoluted application process. It just takes too long.

If you need financing to purchase, you'll have to go the 2nd mortgage route/LOC, as suggested elsewhere in this thread.