SIM Card in Sosua?

cmagor

Mar 2, 2019
Later this month I will be visiting the north coast to view some potential rental properties for next winter and I will need a working cellphone asap when I hit the ground. I have no intention of paying roaming charges to my Canadian provider, so will need to pick up a prepaid SIM on arrival. It appears that neither Claro nor Altice have an outlet at POP, and my next stop, late on Sunday afternoon will be in Sosua. Will I be able to get a SIM card at the Playero or do I need to find a phone company store? Thanks!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't think you'll find anything till Monday morning. And I can't remember if the small Claro branch offices issue new numbers or if you have to go into Puerto Plata office for that.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Altice branch offices do issue sim cards. There are three locations in Cabarete alone - one in Janet's supermarket. I'm sure you'll find one in Sosua.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Altice branch offices do issue sim cards. There are three locations in Cabarete alone - one in Janet's supermarket. I'm sure you'll find one in Sosua.

Yes, Playero and Super both have an Altice desk.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I don't think you'll find anything till Monday morning. And I can't remember if the small Claro branch offices issue new numbers or if you have to go into Puerto Plata office for that.
I received both mine and wife’s At Claro Kiosk in Super Pola(Sosua) , sim and new activation you will be asked for passport for ID

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The SIM card will probably find you, before you find it.
People sell everything in the streets of Sosua...
and I do mean everything.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At Playero, either phone company office on Calle Martinez in the centre of the town or the Viva trailer in the parking lot next to the Texaco on Hwy 5.

The only issue you may have to accept is that it will be late Sunday afternoon and offices/kiosks may not be open until Monday morning. Bring your passport and your phone with you. Most locations close for what can be an extended lunch period beginning anywhere approaching noon until about 2 pm.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Download textnow app that will give you the option to have a Canadian number for free and you will be able to call and receive calls from any land line or cellphone for free in Canada or USA.

Sharon Marie

Mar 14, 2019
Cell companies are not open on Sunday. We like to go to Claro at Super Pola as the girl there speaks English. She can provide a sim card.

karmatourer

Nov 15, 2018
I'm staying in Costambar for the 1st time and I have the same question-can I buy a SIM there? If not,where is the nearest option? Thanks.