Tough prisons in the DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, dominican jails have special cells dedicated to conjugal visits. often it's just an old mattress tossed on the floor. here in PP prison on sundays there is a long ass line of women waiting outside to visit their men. i suppose the interior and circumstances of the boning chamber are not that different in poor household anyways.
rafey mujeres has a slightly nicer arrangement but that particular jail is pretty neat.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One pal commented: “Gotta be givin ye the boak by noo, not good.”

Any Scottish people out there who can translate "the boak" into English? :classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it means "gotta be making you puke now, not good", as far as i can tell.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've been to jail four times in this country.
Its not a pleasant place.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
"Yer geein me the boak." Glaswegian for you're making me feel sick.
Mack.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I've been to jail four times in this country.
Its not a pleasant place.

preventive or long term? preventive jails are pretty hellish but new model jails are not that bad. i've only seen rafey mujeres and it was better than i thought it would be. still, i would not want to spend few years there...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
preventive or long term? preventive jails are pretty hellish but new model jails are not that bad. i've only seen rafey mujeres and it was better than i thought it would be. still, i would not want to spend few years there...

Preventive. Always released the following day without
being charged with a crime.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Holy crap Cristo, what the heck has landed you in jail four times?

Here in Santiago there are little trolls who live beneath the
BIG RED BRIDGE who collect a toll from every single passer by.
In the event you refuse to pay their toll, it is common practice
they toss you in a cell for the night.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Here in Santiago there are little trolls who live beneath the
BIG RED BRIDGE who collect a toll from every single passer by.
In the event you refuse to pay their toll, it is common practice
they toss you in a cell for the night.

Good for you refusing to pay the "toll" to the "trolls".
You are far more stubborn or righteous than I.
I pay the "toll" and get out of dodge. Want no part of a Dominican jail, even if there are conjugal visits :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Preventive.

i see you pulled a very short end of the stick. preventive jails in DR are known for extreme conditions. here in PP the preventive jail is basically a small, badly ventilated room packed the the brim with half naked men who receive no food and water and have no facilities for their daily needs. that's supposed to be a very short term solution: after the case is heard by the judge he/she decides longer preventive arrest to be served in a regular jail while the prisoner waits for trial.

coming back to the scottish thug: something tells me that his sweetheart is gonna screw him out of more money than his lawyer. hustler being hustled.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was watching a program about UK prisons last night and it seems that the prisoners are constantly getting into fights. All those guys, all that testosterone, no release, not good. And then reading this post, I just wonder whether the Dominicans have got it right - let the women in on Sundays, the guys get it all out of their system and are probably much calmer and easier prisoners.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I went to visit my brother in law, in Buena Vista near Villa Mella, where he was locked up for more than a year. With the exception of being confined (and no live music) Sunday afternoon in the can reminded me of the music and cultural festivals I've been to in the US. Nothing like visiting a US prison. They even had some street venders on the inside. He disappeared with his wife for about an hour while we were there. He showed us his bunk which he shared with three or four others. All the beds were walled off with cardboard boxes for privacy.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I was watching a program about UK prisons last night and it seems that the prisoners are constantly getting into fights. All those guys, all that testosterone, no release, not good. And then reading this post, I just wonder whether the Dominicans have got it right - let the women in on Sundays, the guys get it all out of their system and are probably much calmer and easier prisoners.

Nahh.. These guys are definitely paying protection.

Thats the only way you can survive prison in DR. Don't let these pictures and stories fool you.. DR prisons are hellish as ****, but not for those with money for protection and luxuries within the prison.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
This Gringo got locked up in a prison somewhere in SD.
This is his story—his journey through hellish conditions in third-world jails, fourteen months in the super-max Metropolitan Correctional Center, New York, and four more years in a United States Federal prison.

Released in January 2018, he is now home and reunited with his wife and four children. In Gorilla Tango, he recounts the harrowing events that took him from a cushy life-style in the Caribbean to the bowels of prison and how at fifty-three years old he had to adapt to survive in a brutal, violent and unforgiving world. It is a story of personal redemption, spiritual growth, and survival.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Tango-Businessman-Convicted-Surviving-ebook/dp/B07HDW5KK6
[video=youtube;ewVZjbElxNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVZjbElxNY&t=529s[/video]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
damn I feel so sorry for this A$$hole. That he had to go through all that. (sarcasm)
Wonder how much he made off the book, whatever it amounts to should be given to his victims. Also his sentence was not near long enough,

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/n...eepstakes-fraud-that-targeted-elderly-victims

Info
This is archived material from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website. It may contain outdated information and links may no longer function.
Twitter Facebook Share

Telemarketer Sentenced in Manhattan Federal Court to 75 Months in Prison for Sweepstakes Fraud That Targeted Elderly Victims
U.S. Attorney’s Office
September 24, 2013

Southern District of New York
(212) 637-2600
FBI New York Press Office
(212) 384-2100
Preet Bharara, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and George Venizelos, the Assistant Director in Charge of the New York Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), announced that WARREN STELMAN, a/k/a “Dave Ford,” was sentenced today to 75 months in prison for his participation in a Dominican-based telemarketing fraud scheme that targeted elderly victims throughout the United States and defrauded those victims of nearly $1 million. STELMAN was arrested in the Dominican Republic in August 2012 and was subsequently extradited to the United States. He pled guilty in January 2013 to one count of wire fraud. Today’s sentence was imposed by U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan.

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said: “Warren Stelman admitted scheming in the Dominican Republic to fleece elderly people in the U.S. His pitch, dangling fictitious sweepstakes winnings, was persuasive enough to victimize many of these people repeatedly. Today he has been ordered to pay for his crime against these vulnerable victims in money and time.”

FBI Assistant Director in Charge George Venizelos said: “The defendant hid behind his telephone to prey upon his victims, many of whom were elderly, with promises of money and prizes. Although the victims never met the defendant, they relied upon his representations of wealth and in exchange, turned over their hard earned money. This case should be a reminder to the public to be cautious of get-rich-quick opportunities, many of which are merely schemes to defraud and take advantage of our unsuspecting community.”

According to the indictment and other documents filed in Manhattan federal court, as well as statements made in court proceedings:

STELMAN and his co-conspirators, including his wife Lana Stelman, operated boiler rooms in the Dominican Republic, from which they telephoned victims in the United States, most of whom were elderly. They informed the victims falsely that they had won substantial amounts of cash through a sweepstakes or some other type of promotion, but that in order to claim their prize, they first needed to wire thousands of dollars in “fees” to the Dominican Republic. In reality, however, there were no cash prizes, neither STELMAN nor his co-conspirators worked in connection with a sweepstakes or other promotion, and none of the victims ever received any money in exchange for their fees.

The victims were typically told to send the money for the purported fees by, among other means, Western Union or Money Gram. After victims sent money to cover the supposed fees, STELMAN and his co-conspirators typically contacted them again and, using further fraudulent representations, persuaded them to send more money to pay for other costs. In some instances, when victims said that they had run out of money to pay additional fees, STELMAN and his associates urged the victims to come up with more money by borrowing from friends and relatives, taking cash advances on credit cards, and obtaining loans against their homes and vehicles.

The fraudulent scheme targeted U.S. residents who had previously subscribed to sweepstakes. STELMAN and his co-conspirators identified these victims by purchasing from U.S.-based brokers copies of sweepstakes entry forms the victims had previously filled out. These entry forms, which the conspirators referred to as “leads,” were typically written on narrow slips of paper that included the names, addresses, and telephone numbers for sweepstakes entrants. The conspirators used various Internet-based phone methods to mask their locations and identities, and communicated with the victims through numbers assigned to voice-mail boxes located in Manhattan. In total, 78 victims—54 of whom were over the age of 70—were defrauded out of nearly $1 million.

In addition to the prison term, Judge Kaplan sentenced STELMAN, 54, of the Dominican Republic, to three years of supervised release. STELMAN was also ordered to forfeit $996,659.30 and to pay a total of $996,659.30 in restitution to 78 victims.