Playa Naco - SAND & OCEAN

Jamerican71

Apr 18, 2002
I am so looking forward to my first trip to the Dominican Republic in December. After posting awhile ago (before confirming my vacation) about getting my trip together. I've still ben lurking on this board to get lots of advice and opinions of the Dominincan Republic. I want to be completely prepared with what I need to do before arriving and things I must do while there.

I've been on many other websites and can't seem to find this answer so I figure someone here will have the answer. What is the beach like at the Playa Naco in Puerto Plata? Is the sand clean? Does the ocean have lots of waves? Is there seaweed? Do they clean the beach daily? Does anybody have pictures of the beach from the Playa Naco?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
i was at the playa naco in march. it is a great place to stay. the beach is very clean (the staff work very hard and are picking up all day). No seaweed, some days were wavier then others. It is a very nice beach. some people say it is the best part of the beach in the playa dorado complex. You will really enjoy your stay here. They also have a beach bar and the lunches they serve there are fabulous!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My whole family can second this..No further comment necessary!

HB
big.gif

Jamerican71

Apr 18, 2002
I'm still reading these baords trying to learn everything I can about DR and my hotel location. I just read another thread that made me think about this: I'm from the East coast of the US and don't consider this area as having nice beaches. I've been to Jamaica, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cancun and really liked their beaches. Thankfully, there is no seeweed and the beach is clean at Playa Naco BUT can you tell me this: is the water the ugly grey color or closer to blue and what color is the sand?

I will enjoy my vacation no matter what but I just want to be prepared for everything!

Thanks again for your help!

New Guy

Feb 28, 2002
Playa Naco

It's a very nice beach. The sand is like the beaches on Cape Cod at the National Seashore. The water is a beautiful, deep blue. It is not turquoise water and pinkish white sand like you would find in Cancun or the Bahamas, though.

Jamerican71

Apr 18, 2002
New Guy

Hi new Guy - It was your post that inspired me to ask about the water and beach again. I haven't been to Cape Cod but Ihave been to Martha's Vineyard. The water was murky grey and if I remember correctly the sand was okay - you could still walk on it barefoot without wondering if you were goign to step on broken shells. Would you say the sand is like that?

I'm glad to hear the water is a nice shade of blue. My nephew asked me about this - any chances of sharks? Is there a barrier reef that protects the beach?

Thanks!!!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Jamerican71 said:
I am so looking forward to my first trip to the Dominican Republic in December. After posting awhile ago (before confirming my vacation) about getting my trip together. I've still ben lurking on this board to get lots of advice and opinions of the Dominincan Republic. I want to be completely prepared with what I need to do before arriving and things I must do while there.

I've been on many other websites and can't seem to find this answer so I figure someone here will have the answer. What is the beach like at the Playa Naco in Puerto Plata? Is the sand clean? Does the ocean have lots of waves? Is there seaweed? Do they clean the beach daily? Does anybody have pictures of the beach from the Playa Naco?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Check out theSosua club. lots of photos and info about the area.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sosuadominicanrepublic/

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Sosua?

Jamerican71 said:
Where is Sosua? Is that close to Puerto Plata?

It's about 20 kilometres from Playa Dorada , has a great beach and is worth at least a day trip.

New Guy

Feb 28, 2002
Playa Naco

You'll like the beach there, I just wanted to make sure you know it isn't like the Caribbean beaches so you aren't disappointed. The sand is brown, but deep and soft. nothingharmful to step on. the most dangerous things in the water there are windsurfers. Man, I never knew those things could go that fast! And there are beach bars, it's a party beach. I enjoyed it a lot. I think Sosua is actually closer to the airport than Playa Naco. I think I will try Sosua next. I think it would be more fun than hanging around a resort all week.

Jamerican71

Apr 18, 2002
Thanks for all the good replies!!! I would never be disappointed about anything while on vacation. I'm just being super anal and attempting to be prepared for everything!

I am looking forward to being in the DR and seeing everything that I can!