Post Thanks / Like

Default How frequent are power outages in Las Terrenas?

Hey there,

I'm thinking of taking a trip up there from SD for about a week, but I need internet for my job. The AirBnB host assured me of good quality internet, but I've heard power outages can be an issue. Are they frequent? Predictable?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by powerbroker View Post
    Hey there,

I'm thinking of taking a trip up there from SD for about a week, but I need internet for my job. The AirBnB host assured me of good quality internet, but I've heard power outages can be an issue. Are they frequent? Predictable?
    Yo, isn't there anyone who is a resident in Las Terrenas that can answer this question??? I find that hard to believe??

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I just returned from LT after a two week visit and stayed at an Airbnb. I didn't experience any power outages at all.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackouts are a minor issue. Here's the fix: if you have either fiber optic or ADSL, simply plug your modem/router into a UPS. Then you can handle about 2 or 3 hours of blackout (it's very rare to have longer blackouts, usually it's less than 20mn).
    Then work from a laptop rather than a desktop, so your battery will do its job.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in LT. Outages occur but not that often, they may be scheduled for a Wednesday for a few hours (there was one today) and occasionally something can happen to extend an outage. We had just such an event a few weeks back where a truck crashed into the main power line around 30 mins before the scheduled outage was due to end, but they had it fixed within 8 hours later.
    There are some places in town you can decamp to that have generators if there is a scheduled outage.

Personally, I think the power is pretty stable.

Post Thanks / Like

not very often. they last minutes only. compared to santo domingo which is hours each day