Shipping vehicles or heavy equipment from North America to D.R

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I am looking for some information shipping various heavy equipment to Dominican Rep. The equipment would be used with the intent to sell once imported successfully. I would like to know shipping cost(s), ways to save money, what amount of frustration there is, the needs and nice to haves.. Also any information you have that you think is beneficial go for it.

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If by heavy equipment, you mean heavy construction equipment, you'll have trouble. It will have to be newer, just like a vehicle. And if a big name brand, there are already franchised dealers on the island that have jurisdictional protections. You most likely won't even get it out of the States. Unless you already own it, you'll be asked where it's going.

And if you were able to get it into a ships hold, you would risk losing it on the other end. I don't see the Dom equipment dealers letting it happen.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The DR is inundated with used big construction equipment. At one time it was a way druggies laundered money.

And there are many dealers for imported equipment.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I did not know it was this difficult wow! I expected some circles because it's DR but that seems not worth it.. Okay how about this.. what about disassembling everything then putting it into a container ? could it be for 'parts' or is this rather slippery since at this point it may just turn into subjective definitions which leads to bribes and other dishonest transactions?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If it's new equip, you'll be grilled when you buy it. They want to know where it's going. Times have changed. If you were able to sneak it out somehow, you won't have warranty coverage from the manufacturer.

If it's used stuff you already own, you'll have tons of resistance on the Dom end. You won't be allowed to encroach on their protected franchise.

If it's used stuff, emissions is now a big hassle.

It's really not possible.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I did not know it was this difficult wow! I expected some circles because it's DR but that seems not worth it.. Okay how about this.. what about disassembling everything then putting it into a container ? could it be for 'parts' or is this rather slippery since at this point it may just turn into subjective definitions which leads to bribes and other dishonest transactions?
You won't snooker customs.

I consulted for a good friend who has a large company that rents heavy construction equipment in the US, Central America and the Bahamas, everything but cranes . They came down for a week while I showed them around the country. They left shaking their heads because they never saw so much heavy equipment, much of it unused, all over the country.

But maybe you have a better business plan than they did.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Thanks everyone for your comments. It was an idea passed around over a beer with family down there, safe to say it's not wise to ship heavy equipment here :)