Post Thanks / Like

I wrote this. Hope it helps: https://villataina.com/understanding-currents/

2. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Another excellent article.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Rip Tides are very unpredictable and are governed by many different variables...So what works for one situation is not necessarily the same for another.
    My worse Rip experience was in the Caribbean and is just as possible could happen here.
    It was my last swim in the ocean. We were diving into large waves and popping up behind them. This particular beach always had large waves no no surprise...... what was the surprise was when I was sucked under and taken away by an underwater Rip that was close to the bottom. I was tumbled and lost orientation ; counted to ten and forced my legs out straight ; they hit bottom ; then I bent knees and forced my body to the surface... no rip on surface.
    I was propelled about 150 feet from my point of entry..... the advice given in this thread is good.... I swam perpendicular to the rip and then swam ashore on the crests of waves.
    Rips are not only on the top of the water!
    Do not panic and keep your wits about you.
    Like I said never again.
    That was the closest I ever came to Davie Jones's Locker!
    Russell

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RockyM View Post
    Swim perpendicular to the current (i.e. follow the coast line). The rip currents are normally narrow, extending out from shore. So if you swim perpendicular to them you will swim out of the current. Not sure how to tell if they exist, maybe someone else can chime in. Glad you are ok. They can be very scary, and dangerous.
    If you swim perpendicular to the shore, then you are swimming toward the shore. I know what you meant because I have had many days of water survival training, but others may not know. You must swim parallel to the shore for 40-50 meters then try to swim to the shore. If still not able to do so, keep going parallel until you escape the riptide. Main point is not to panic and get tired. Float on your back as you back stroke parallel to the shore.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123