Saludos, cómo tu ta?

PlataSI

Feb 14, 2019
Hey everyone
I was so fortunate to find a lovely dominican (atleast I think I found her and not the other way around) two years ago in my home country. We went on a short trip to DR to visit family in '16, and now we are here again for 5 months.
If my/our plan goes well we will be spending a lot of our time here in the future. No plans yet as of moving, but that is definitely on the table.

I love the country despite

Suicidal motos without light
Strong headlights in the evening
Trash everywhere
Lack of organization (anywhere)
Endless crave to cheat foreigners to pay at least double the price
Mosquitos
Lack and breakdown of electricity
Lack and breakdown of water
Neighbor singing religious songs loud
Comedor playing Romeo Santos
Sales guy on commission to bring you to the salto or whales, and blocking your way on the road trying to do so
Kids playing on the autopista in the night
The urge to put sugar in everything, or if it is not sugar, honey
Chinese pick-a-pollo on the sunday when everything else is closed
Polution and burning and endless burnings
The lovely experience from immigration office (even just to extend a stay from 30 to 90 days).

But you know.. the Chinola, tamarindo, piña, sweet lemon, moro, bandera dominicana, openness and welcoming feeling when you try your best at a broken spanish. Oh the culture, merengue, bachata, salsa and salsas - chimichurri, plátano and hundres of different viveres. Yummy, that's right for the tummy.
And then I didn't even start mentioning the beaches (you know, the ones that most tourists doesn't even know exists), the view of the mountains and the views from the mountains while drinking a presidente vestida de novia.

I've been here just a bit more than a month and I already love it. The charm this country has overrules pretty much all the bad things.

Anyway. That's me and my observations so far.

PS. Qué es lo opuesto de plátano?
BR//

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Welcome to the board. Not all the disadvantages that you mention occur universally in the DR. For example, the condos where I stayed have generators, so power outages rarely if ever occur. Likewise, neighborhoods and condo communities exist, even in Greater Santo Domingo, that do no have trash everywhere.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Welcome!
Which beach is it that is unknown I wondered?
Glad you like the variety of the dominican cuisine.:laugh:

Last edited:

PlataSI

Feb 14, 2019
Welcome to the board. Not all the disadvantages that you mention occur universally in the DR. For example, the condos where I stayed have generators, so power outages rarely if ever occur. Likewise, neighborhoods and condo communities exist, even in Greater Santo Domingo, that do no have trash everywhere.
Indeed, there are condos, resorts and actually most part of Santa Bárbara de Samaná that does not have a lot outage of electricity, however water is another story.
If there are tourists in an area, there is someone cleaning the trash - that's what I've seen anyway. But we tend not to go where tourists go.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On the subject of unknown beaches, they exist. Someone took us to one not far from our house a couple of years ago. Down an unmarked, long, dirt, rutted road. Literally us and one other car there. Nothing else. No one else. Beautiful but I found it a little isolated and unnerving.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Cabo Frances was my favorit in the nineties when few people knew it.
I had many romantic mondays there... with my wife of course.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey everyone
I was so fortunate to find a lovely dominican (atleast I think I found her and not the other way around) two years ago in my home country. We went on a short trip to DR to visit family in '16, and now we are here again for 5 months.
If my/our plan goes well we will be spending a lot of our time here in the future. No plans yet as of moving, but that is definitely on the table.

I love the country despite

Suicidal motos without light
Strong headlights in the evening
Trash everywhere
Lack of organization (anywhere)
Endless crave to cheat foreigners to pay at least double the price
Mosquitos
Lack and breakdown of electricity
Lack and breakdown of water
Neighbor singing religious songs loud
Comedor playing Romeo Santos
Sales guy on commission to bring you to the salto or whales, and blocking your way on the road trying to do so
Kids playing on the autopista in the night
The urge to put sugar in everything, or if it is not sugar, honey
Chinese pick-a-pollo on the sunday when everything else is closed
Polution and burning and endless burnings
The lovely experience from immigration office (even just to extend a stay from 30 to 90 days).

But you know.. the Chinola, tamarindo, piña, sweet lemon, moro, bandera dominicana, openness and welcoming feeling when you try your best at a broken spanish. Oh the culture, merengue, bachata, salsa and salsas - chimichurri, plátano and hundres of different viveres. Yummy, that's right for the tummy.
And then I didn't even start mentioning the beaches (you know, the ones that most tourists doesn't even know exists), the view of the mountains and the views from the mountains while drinking a presidente vestida de novia.

I've been here just a bit more than a month and I already love it. The charm this country has overrules pretty much all the bad things.

Anyway. That's me and my observations so far.

PS. Qué es lo opuesto de plátano?
BR//

After you have an extended stay(months) in the DR get back to us and let us know what your real opinion is. It sounds to me you are enamored with the "island" life and have a touch of island fever. Hope the feeling lasts.

PR Loves DR

May 7, 2019

Can you find condos to rent for 2 weeks to a month at reasonable prices? I have fell in love with the DR but I want to see something other than the AI that I experienced on my first trip. I know that I won't have a Wal-Mart experience but i'd like to find a nice place that is reasonably priced and near some tiendas o supermercados.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can you find condos to rent for 2 weeks to a month at reasonable prices? I have fell in love with the DR but I want to see something other than the AI that I experienced on my first trip. I know that I won't have a Wal-Mart experience but i'd like to find a nice place that is reasonably priced and near some tiendas o supermercados.

Try Airbnb

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

I regret the delayed response. Try an airbnb.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

What do you consider reasonable?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Indeed, there are condos, resorts and actually most part of Santa Bárbara de Samaná that does not have a lot outage of electricity, however water is another story.
If there are tourists in an area, there is someone cleaning the trash - that's what I've seen anyway. But we tend not to go where tourists go.
Quemaste la fiebre ya?