Problem with visa

Youngdude

Mar 11, 2019
I have a caribbean nationality passport of Trinidad and tobago......i always visit dominican republic and they just put a stamp of arrival on my passport and i get to stay for 3 or 4 or 5 months.....but this trip when i arrived on feb 15, they had a new stamp where the immigration officer wrote visa for 30 days but my return ticket is in 2 months which is more than 30 days....i dont want to stay illegal and get deported so i cannot come back to santo domingo.....i want to know if i just have to pay at the airport to extend my stay.....i am very nervous and i would really appreciate any help i can get

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I have a caribbean nationality passport of Trinidad and tobago......i always visit dominican republic and they just put a stamp of arrival on my passport and i get to stay for 3 or 4 or 5 months.....but this trip when i arrived on feb 15, they had a new stamp where the immigration officer wrote visa for 30 days but my return ticket is in 2 months which is more than 30 days....i dont want to stay illegal and get deported so i cannot come back to santo domingo.....i want to know if i just have to pay at the airport to extend my stay.....i am very nervous and i would really appreciate any help i can get

Its looks like they will come to enforce de law, what people usually do is pay the fee at the airport when leaving, there is a table with the amoounts depending how many days you overstay. Another thing you can do as you are in Santo Domingo will be easy for you to visit inmigration main office in the Malecon and get more information str8 from them on what you can do to ask for extention of your stay. Here there is a very big discussion about that topic and according to inmigration there is a process that you can do to obtain an extention of your stay, with a letter asking inmigration you wanto to stay more days and pay a fee.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Enjoy your vacation and go home! Pay your exit fee don’t sweat a stamp lol...it’s just a visual before swiping your passport no biggie nothing has changed..

Youngdude

Mar 11, 2019
Its looks like they will come to enforce de law, what people usually do is pay the fee at the airport when leaving, there is a table with the amoounts depending how many days you overstay. Another thing you can do as you are in Santo Domingo will be easy for you to visit inmigration main office in the Malecon and get more information str8 from them on what you can do to ask for extention of your stay. Here there is a very big discussion about that topic and according to inmigration there is a process that you can do to obtain an extention of your stay, with a letter asking inmigration you wanto to stay more days and pay a fee.

Where exactly do i find the immigration office in malecon?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A large proportion of foreigners in the DR are here on expired 30 day tourist visas. They just pay for the overstay at the airport when they leave. They don't worry and I can't see why you should either - unless there is something different about having a Trinidad and Tobago passport, which I doubt.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thank you very much.....will make a visit today

You will get nothing from them except maybe a few people laughing at you. Just stay as long as you want and pay the exit fee at the airport. You are wasting your time.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Oh what the heck, let's go another round...

I think we can all agree that for a long time now it has been possible to overstay the 30 day tourist entry stamp/card/visa. History suggests that the immediate risks of doing so are limited to the paying of the fine when you leave.

Announcements have been made by the Govt that it has an interest and at least a small desire in tightening immigration controls. Whether they have done so, will do so or are even capable of doing so remains to be seen. Thus far there have not been enough reports of travelers experiencing immigration problems to warrant an undue amount of consternation.

Further, I think we should be able to agree that with the updating of the immigration computer system at ports of entry (which may or may not be a completed process at any specific airport), the Govt now has the ability to monitor individual travelers and maintain a historical record of their comings and goings. It is safe to say that the Govt is in fact doing this monitoring and has been for some period of time now.

I do not believe anyone can say with absolute certainty that the immigration database will never be used to sanction travelers for overstaying beyond the limits when visiting this country. I do not think anyone can say with any certainty that the immigration practices will never change, or that those changes will not take into account a traveler's accumulated travel history retroactively which is now readily available to immigration officials when they process arriving visitors.

It may be the case that one's actions today could have some effect in the future. We can debate the likelihood of this for a long time I suspect, but no one can say with authority that anyone can safely overstay without at least acknowledging the potential for future consequences.

It is up to the individual to consider their options, and make a decision on how to best proceed in light of their individual circumstances. There is no taking back these database entries if one choose to accumulate several of them. For some, the short term gain today may or may not have an impact on future visits. Just one of the considerations one needs to think about if someone has an interest in continued unencumbered travel to the DR in the years to come. Certainly a consideration that those asking for current knowledge need to hear about so when they plan their trip they have all the info available for consideration.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Oh what the heck, let's go another round...

I think we can all agree that for a long time now it has been possible to overstay the 30 day tourist entry stamp/card/visa. History suggests that the immediate risks of doing so are limited to the paying of the fine when you leave.

Announcements have been made by the Govt that it has an interest and at least a small desire in tightening immigration controls. Whether they have done so, will do so or are even capable of doing so remains to be seen. Thus far there have not been enough reports of travelers experiencing immigration problems to warrant an undue amount of consternation.

Further, I think we should be able to agree that with the updating of the immigration computer system at ports of entry (which may or may not be a completed process at any specific airport), the Govt now has the ability to monitor individual travelers and maintain a historical record of their comings and goings. It is safe to say that the Govt is in fact doing this monitoring and has been for some period of time now.

I do not believe anyone can say with absolute certainty that the immigration database will never be used to sanction travelers for overstaying beyond the limits when visiting this country. I do not think anyone can say with any certainty that the immigration practices will never change, or that those changes will not take into account a traveler's accumulated travel history retroactively which is now readily available to immigration officials when they process arriving visitors.

It may be the case that one's actions today could have some effect in the future. We can debate the likelihood of this for a long time I suspect, but no one can say with authority that anyone can safely overstay without at least acknowledging the potential for future consequences.

It is up to the individual to consider their options, and make a decision on how to best proceed in light of their individual circumstances. There is no taking back these database entries if one choose to accumulate several of them. For some, the short term gain today may or may not have an impact on future visits. Just one of the considerations one needs to think about if someone has an interest in continued unencumbered travel to the DR in the years to come. Certainly a consideration that those asking for current knowledge need to hear about so when they plan their trip they have all the info available for consideration.

Very clear explanation, and Im glad that you posted your thoghs that to me are very correct, the consecuences of any action you take will go only over you and just tell do it as every body do is very irresponsable and more when the person wants to know what options he has and will go to the Inmigration office to find out, if they tell him just overstay as every body he will have information by frist hand and will feel relax with his decition of just overstay.

Youngdude

Mar 11, 2019
I really appreciate the information.....i will make the visit the immigration office on monday and will make a post....i just wanted to be sure as i dont want to be banned or have a deported stamp on my passport as i travel very frequently and dont want to leave a negative mark on my passport

Youngdude

Mar 11, 2019
I went to the immigration office at the malecon yesterday.....since my spanish is limited i took my cabbie with me into the office and he spoke little english and spanish so he was my translator.....i told him about my situation and he spoke to the employee at the office infront of me.....but what the guy translated for me is that i can either pay in airport on my way out or can apply for an extension at the office and they would give me some paper and i can show them while i am exiting the island......since everyone was telling me to pay at airport so i just told them i will pay while i am leaving the island....thanks everyone for replies

P.s : this is what i understood from my cabbie english translation....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I went to the immigration office at the malecon yesterday.....since my spanish is limited i took my cabbie with me into the office and he spoke little english and spanish so he was my translator.....i told him about my situation and he spoke to the employee at the office infront of me.....but what the guy translated for me is that i can either pay in airport on my way out or can apply for an extension at the office and they would give me some paper and i can show them while i am exiting the island......since everyone was telling me to pay at airport so i just told them i will pay while i am leaving the island....thanks everyone for replies

P.s : this is what i understood from my cabbie english translation....

Hahahaha. Another DR1er that listens to the doomsayers of immigration here. He was told what anyone living here any length of time knows. You pay the overstay at the airport and come back when you want, instead of running around like a chicken without a head for something that does not even exist.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hahahaha. Another DR1er that listens to the doomsayers of immigration here. He was told what anyone living here any length of time knows. You pay the overstay at the airport and come back when you want, instead of running around like a chicken without a head for something that does not even exist.

It actually does exist. Someone here got the extension, and posted the documentation with photos.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think this.....

We can see we are in flux.....things are changing.... slowly or quickly depending on your view
When in flux... study your options.... you may need them.

That is NOT to say the ‘pay on exit’ is wrong or soon to be gone.....

There seem to be two options now....
will the future offer more or less ?

Therein lies the crux.....IMO