Manatee Sanctuary in Estero Hondo/Ensanada

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
Has anyone been to the sanctuary? Is it wort the trip. I have seen the sign heading to Ensenada but how far down the road is it and how long does it take to hike to see the mammals. Are the guides there when you arrive and what is the cost?
Did you see any manatees and is there a swimming bach on sight?
Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check post #22:
https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/171473-Punta-Rucia-Monte-Cristi/page3

i've been there too few years ago, cannot remember the cost but it ain't much. there is a small "museum" on site with few items on display. guides are useless, you'll find more on the manatees from google. you cannot get into the water at the sanctuary, there is only a viewing tower. the area is pretty and well worth a visit but if the manatees are not close to the shore you will see big fat nothing.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
We have been there maybe five years ago? Right now the road should be dry but I would not go there after a rain! I’m gonna guess the road is about .75 mile. There is a commandant office there. There was no museum when we were there. A friend of mine had a kayak business when we were there and THAT’S the way to really see manatees. He was only there for a few months and left….no business and always a hassle for him. (non Dominican). They have a beach there…but….go to Ensenada for that!! Your millage may vary! Cheers