WhatsApp

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It appears that WhatsApp is widely used in la rep dom. For those who may not know you can have WhatsApp on your pc. You just install WhatsApp for the web and you are good to go. Only thing your phone must be connected to the app. It doesn't work like Voxer for the web where you can actually turn your phone off and still send Voxer messages. I much prefer Voxer but WhatsApp is the DR way to go.

https://web.whatsapp.com/

2w56s13.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My phone? I don't have a phone. Not a cell phone. Oh well, no What's App for me.

How did SKYPE squander this market with such a head start?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Great!

It was always a pain to send photos, videos, etc. that were on my computer to a Whatsapp contact.

Sooooo, much easier now.

Thanks!!!!!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It would be interesting to know if the connected phone needs to be on the same network or if the phone can be located else where then where the computer is located.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
It would be interesting to know if the connected phone needs to be on the same network or if the phone can be located else where then where the computer is located.
I can connect my laptop to my neighbor's wi-fi and my cell phone on my own wi-fi and can use WhatsApp on either device at the same time. Don't know if that answers your question.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I can connect my laptop to my neighbor's wi-fi and my cell phone on my own wi-fi and can use WhatsApp on either device at the same time. Don't know if that answers your question.

Yes, it does answer the question.

Next Questions:

I don't use data on my phone, thus when I'm not home, I do not have Whatsapp.

When I come home and connect to my wi-fi or a free wi-fi when away, will my computer get the messages when I return home and turn it on?

Will the phone sync to the computer with messages received when the computer was off and/or I was away from the computer?

PS: I will be trying to test the situations today.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Will the phone sync to the computer with messages received when the computer was off and/or I was away from the computer?

Yes, everything should sync. Occasionally I have to hit the refresh button but that is rare.

Only thing I am not too fond of is if I log onto WhatsApp Web on my desktop and later decide to use my laptop I have to log off on the desktop, scan code on laptop and log back in. A small price to pay for not having to learn how to "two thumb" type.

Everything is so, so much easier.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I use it a lot, especially when I need to write a lot or have a longish "conversation". You can access your archived conversations, do group chats, etc. Basically the same as being on your phone.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I use it a lot, especially when I need to write a lot or have a longish "conversation". You can access your archived conversations, do group chats, etc. Basically the same as being on your phone.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Same here. When I don't have access to the pc my WhatsApp replies are generally short phrases. I learned to type on a typewriter and just can't get the knack of two thumb speed typing.

Before I started using WhatsApp Web I would connect a small portable keyboard to my phone making things a lot easier.

So How You Do That?

Can I connect a keyboard to my Android phone?

1. Connect USB keyboard to Android Device. You can connect a USB Keyboard to an Android device via a USB OTG (On-The-Go) adapter, provided that your device is USB OTG-supported. ... Open any app and start typing on the keyboard and the text will start appearing.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
How did SKYPE squander this market with such a head start?

I still have a Skype phone number, just avoid the 786 area code if choosing a US number. Skype and Skype For Business is superior to most other teleconference services. I do regular Skype conference calls with the shared screen, Whatsapp and Telegram for private stuff.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, it does answer the question.

Next Questions:

I don't use data on my phone, thus when I'm not home, I do not have Whatsapp.

When I come home and connect to my wi-fi or a free wi-fi when away, will my computer get the messages when I return home and turn it on?

Get Claro - WhatsApp message are free of data charges

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I see some WhatsApp experts here, so see if you can help my situation:

My phone failed on an automatic update recently, now it has gone crazy, every hour or so it restarts... !? I tried various things but the main and only real advise is to reset it to factory default, update again and re-install everything.

Now as I travel a lot I don't have access to the SIM card that WhatsApp is registered too - for maybe another 4 or 5 months. If I reinstall WhatsApp then can not hook up to my old account as they will send me a SMS verification, but I won't receive it.

I wonder if I could set up WhatsApp on my laptop, could I then somehow re-install the app on my phone without having to receive SMS to verify it.... ?! (Probably not and I have to wait till I get to my SIM, but I thought I mention it, so you guys feel better about your problems... lol)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
One difference between the desktop version an the Mobil version is making calls via the desktop version? don't see that option.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I still have a Skype phone number, just avoid the 786 area code if choosing a US number. Skype and Skype For Business is superior to most other teleconference services. I do regular Skype conference calls with the shared screen, Whatsapp and Telegram for private stuff.

I understand a few people still SKYPE, but SKYPE really had the edge here and let WhatsApp take it from them for some reason. I don't use WhatsApp since I have never owned a smart phone,but certainly every Dominican I know is enamored with WhatsAp while most of them never heard of SKYPE. SKYPE really dropped the ball.

Jan 17, 2009
Have you tired putting your SIM card anyway? Most carriers now provide some sort of roaming overseas. You may still be able to receive a text message. I'm not saying to go ahead and reset the phone, but to just try the SIM card for your WhatsApp number. Like I have it tied to my Altice SIM, which in some countries, will definitely connect via roaming.

The WhatsApp on your laptop, which I'm surprised people here didn't know, has been available for several years now, BUT it won't work unless you have your phone nearby with WhatsApp also open. It's not independent of it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They sure did. WhatsApp is just a better app overall and when you download it, it automatically identifies contacts on your phone that are WA users.

I still have Skype, but I only use it to make and receive international calls to/from non-WA users. Invaluable for that use.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Now as I travel a lot I don't have access to the SIM card that WhatsApp is registered too - for maybe another 4 or 5 months. If I reinstall WhatsApp then can not hook up to my old account as they will send me a SMS verification, but I won't receive it..............

Probably not much help but you don't need the SIM card in the phone that WhatsApp is associated with. I remove my DR Claro WhatsApp card when stateside. With my USA SIM card installed I can still use WhatsApp on my phone and pc.

The catch 22 for you will be as you said the SMS verification.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thanks for the heads up on this, Bigbird. I got it up and running on my Laptop in seconds. It should make life a lot easier!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for the heads up on this, Bigbird. I got it up and running on my Laptop in seconds. It should make life a lot easier!

Thanks, exactly why I posted. I have been using it for a couple of years now but was chatting with a friend the other day who was unaware. I started the thread in hopes of helping out at least one person.

You will grow to love it............