I just got a shock....

Booking WestJet to YYZ....early April
AZS was over $1,000CAD - one way
POP dropped to $613....one way

The AA flight SDQ to PHL Apirl 13 was $308 US...one way
I lost it in the booking - last seat gone
Jumped to $390 for next price wave....

The AZS leg shocked me
My house guests has said they switched airport for price..... I guess so !!!!!

So somehow - in spite of the low tourist talk.....
WestJet must not be suffering - no price drops

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Double check the currency you are being billed in by Westjet. If you book from the DR it is in US dollars not CDN. For a Calgary based company that is nothing more than a cash grab. They are truly pond scum to me.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I phoned to complain about paying in US dollars, because I had no choice but to book from the DR when I lived there. They did offer to pay back the difference eventually, but it was a gruelling, painstaking process.

I swore off Air Canada and flew strictly WestJet for a few years. Booked a domestic flight with them (WJ) at the beginning of this month and they not only doubled charged the credit card, but their system booked the wrong return date. It was nothing but a hassle to fix, so I cancelled the flights altogether.

Let's see how Air Canada does since re-booking with them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I paid $506US....including a $63CAD seat
So about $615 for the flight

I saw the cheaper day but my wife needs that week....I ate the difference

Still, I know those prices & these are high.....IMO

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does it have anything to do with the lower demand and monopoly pricing driving prices up from POP like has happened over time with US airlines?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They usually drop the price to fill the plane.... anything better than an empty seat.

The AZS (Samana) prices were over $1000 - ONE WAY!!!
I have NEVER seen that on WestJet

So - no --- not just POP prices...
POP was the cheaper alternative here - again - never seen that before... or rarely but by such a large margin

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Ouch! We did fairly last minute, one ways from POP to Halifax the end of February and paid somewhere in the high 300s each.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
When you buy online you have to check what will be the currency they will use, some websites give you the option to change how you want to be charged, also according your location by default the web can use local currency, US dollars or Canadian dolares.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My return flight Feb 18 to Mar18 with Air Transat Halifax to POP return was $643.00 CDN. But have paid as much as $650.ooUSD for emergency flight to Halifax via Toronto. Usually I fly WJ... but the one time direct flight from Halifax is a treat.
WJ will charge you in USD if you book from outside Canada. Now if I need a one way flight from POP to Canada I will contact my Travel Agent in Nova Scotia and they do it from there for CDN$.
Every day has different prices and seasons as well. Peak seasons like now for the Spring Break are quite high. I booked my flight in September 2018 for Monday's flight. I travel 4 to 6 times a year on international flights and try to do so well in advance. Hope nobody is inconvenienced with the 737-MAX800 grounding.
Russell

Jan 9, 2004
They usually drop the price to fill the plane.... anything better than an empty seat.

The AZS (Samana) prices were over $1000 - ONE WAY!!!
I have NEVER seen that on WestJet

So - no --- not just POP prices...
POP was the cheaper alternative here - again - never seen that before... or rarely but by such a large margin

Is Westjet somehow affected by the grounding of its Boeing 737 Max jets? I believe they were using them for runs into the Caribbean.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
They have 13 737 Max 8 planes. All grounded for at least 3 weeks according to their web site.
It's up to the manufacturer, airlines, and the government of each country to lift the flight bans.
When they do I sure hope they are right

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I'm swearing them off for awhile based on this last experience. It's a bit off -topic but the best deals I've found are last minute with Sunwing. Edmonton-PUJ direct via Cuba, but they drop off the PUJ Resort people first on the way there, and then on the return there's a brief stopover in Cuba to pick up those passengers. $500 return per person, flight only-usually Dec. 21-27 or thereabouts. Catch is that it can only be booked Canada-DR round trip and not vice versa.

I've had bad experiences with AC, WJ, Air Transat, but yet to be sour with Sunwing. Knock on wood.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'm swearing them off for awhile based on this last experience. It's a bit off -topic but the best deals I've found are last minute with Sunwing. Edmonton-PUJ direct via Cuba, but they drop off the PUJ Resort people first on the way there, and then on the return there's a brief stopover in Cuba to pick up those passengers. $500 return per person, flight only-usually Dec. 21-27 or thereabouts. Catch is that it can only be booked Canada-DR round trip and not vice versa.

I've had bad experiences with AC, WJ, Air Transat, but yet to be sour with Sunwing. Knock on wood.

Thats very good last minute price, I have finger crossed to be lucky, I want to visit Canada and my visa expire 10 days before my vacations start, so will need last minute offer for sure or a lot luck to get cheap flight, otherwise will stay home .