Life in La Rep Dom

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am surprised that our local hawk-eyed critics who can spot a 2 pesos price difference from a block away...
and drive 10 miles to shave .001 off the exchange rate
haven't brought this up yet --------

as you leave Super Pola....there is a new traffic light.

Be aware that it is mounted upside down.... a la layer cake - upside down cake

the red is on the bottom - green on top
yellow is still in the middle....

saw it this morning

anybody post this before??
or do you all just cock your head and drive on !!??

hahaha

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I am surprised that our local hawk-eyed critics who can spot a 2 pesos price difference from a block away...

saw it this morning

hahaha
You are the first to mention this. The railroad industry puts the red on the bottom. My fear is that someone will ignore the color and focus on the light position. :nervous:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Most people here ignore the light no matter where the position or what the color is anyway.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

saw it this morning

hahaha

Never watch traffic lights in this country! Use only your gut feeling only!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THey tried that -- no control - self serve- at the Super Pola corner

Failed test......
The light is a welcome addition....albeit, cockeyed

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
You are the first to mention this. The railroad industry puts the red on the bottom. My fear is that someone will ignore the color and focus on the light position. :nervous:

most people think those lights are only for Christmas ...no need to pay attention

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are horizontal traffic lights. Not sure if red is on the right or left(?). I don't see what difference it makes where it is(?). Red means "stop" and "green means "go" and, down here, yellow means "go faster".

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I spotted this in Sosua. As you say, at least they haven't managed to put the yellow one in the wrong place!

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
There are horizontal traffic lights. Not sure if red is on the right or left(?). I don't see what difference it makes where it is(?). Red means "stop" and "green means "go" and, down here, yellow means "go faster".
It makes a difference for drivers who are profoundly red/green color blind. When I was a kid, we traveled to parts of South Carolina where they hadn't standardized their light arrangement with the rest of the US. My Dad...who was colorblind, was doing the driving. It was quite a rollercoaster ride of excitement since he was used to the same order top-bottom everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Coming out of Playero today there was a motoconcho that had some kind of contact with an old Honda side mirror I believe (maybe a mid 90s model Civic) It was not a lujoso example of that model, with more dents than not, but apparently the driver (not a Dominican but maybe a South American) got out to argue inspect his prized ride, and of course fully blocked the exit to Playero.

They were shouting and waving their arms like they just saw Beto O'Rourke do, and even all of us wanting to leave the lot & our honking had no effect on the moron Honda driver, until a policeman came and told him to move then he walked back to his driver's door.......oh but wait, slowly I turn, step by step.....that's right he hadn't said his full piece (or is it peace ?) so he walked back around to the passenger's side to fail his skinny arms some more.

When he saw the young inexperienced policeman was actually thinking about taking some real action and another cop showed up - only then the half-wit pulled ahead 10' to access the damage and I guess decide his next option.

Meantime my bag of ice was melting............

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I got my first traffic fine today, for parking to close to a corner ( curve). I was about 3 meters from the curve but the law says 5 meters. The curb was not painted yellow, however it was true that I was parked illegally. Just bad luck on my part. 1000 pesos poorer- paid at banco Reservas. Made our secretary feel better for her fine for no helmet.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I got my first traffic fine today, for parking to close to a corner ( curve). I was about 3 meters from the curve but the law says 5 meters. The curb was not painted yellow, however it was true that I was parked illegally. Just bad luck on my part. 1000 pesos poorer- paid at banco Reservas. Made our secretary feel better for her fine for no helmet.

They have no shame!!

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

Last edited:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I used to love it. I would drive drunk without fear of plebe police interference.

The best part is outside of the city where you can nail moto conchos, haitians etc without worries of a ticket

Try that in Florida where the police are straight up player haters

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Yes that is the law but 15 meters - come on that is almost 50' - Seems a more reasonable distance is 25'-30'.

I hope that doesn't catch on because the ticket writers will suddenly find their Golden Parachute of income.