Auto Solutions, Puerto Plata

Sharon Marie

Mar 14, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with Auto Solutions in Puerto Plata? They sell cars and we just want to know how honest and reliable they are.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with Auto Solutions in Puerto Plata? They sell cars and we just want to know how honest and reliable they are.

i am not familiar with them but i am familiar with the auto trade in POP, and i do not have anything positive to say about any of the guys i have dealt with in POP. i hunt for cars for mostly expats, and i have stopped trying to find one in POP. too many tricksters, and the prices are out of whack.

if you need professional help finding a car, you can send me an email to

cafenegril1@yahoo.com

or call me at 829 546 3624..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Look for cars in Santiago or Moca and if you have good Dominican friends, have them go in and negotiate the car you want, Once deal is made then and only then show your gringo face to finalize deal

you left out the most important step...knowing what you are buying. if you think anybody can just mosey on over to Moca and pick out a car, you are severely mistaken.

let me give you a hint...a lot of those Korean cars that run on propane used to be taxicabs in Korea. now a taxi in Korea and a taxi in the DR are two different things. in the DR, a guy buys a car, and uses it as a taxi, and when he is done working for the day, he goes home, and parks the car. in Korea, 3 guys pool their money, and buy a car. each guy gets an 8 hour shift. those cars run 24 hours per day. a 2014 , landed in the DR, will get here with 240,000 kilometers, if not much more. a guy with a laptop hooks up to the ecm computer, and, viola, it has 55,000.

you have to know what you are looking at. buying a used car is not for the faint of heart.

Jan 9, 2004
Look for cars in Santiago or Moca and if you have good Dominican friends, have them go in and negotiate the car you want, Once deal is made then and only then show your gringo face to finalize deal

They, Auto Solutions, are a north coast distributor handling Hyundai for Magna Motors.

Lots of good cars in Santiago and Moca too.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think Felix Motors in POP is OK. Most of their cars are direct imports from which you can search Carfax, but they have some local cars too. If you go there ask for Felix (not the owner) - he's a nice guy and seems to be honest.

Gorgon is right - in that there are businesses here that specialize in rolling back mileage - It takes special connectors and sometimes requires you pull out the instrument cluster to get to the quick disconnect connectors in the rear of the panel, but that is not an overly complicated task.

Most Japanese and Korean cars store their mileage in an EEPROM chip soldered to the instrument panel circuit, not the car's main computer. BMW & Mercedes make it the most difficult to change but they can be changed too.

You need a variety of software programs from the car manufacturer or after market software may work for some cars - and a plethora of different connectors which connect to the either the serial or USB port of your laptop.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think Felix Motors in POP is OK. Most of their cars are direct imports from which you can search Carfax, but they have some local cars too. If you go there ask for Felix (not the owner) - he's a nice guy and seems to be honest.

Gorgon is right - in that there are businesses here that specialize in rolling back mileage - It takes special connectors and sometimes requires you pull out the instrument cluster to get to the quick disconnect connectors in the rear of the panel, but that is not an overly complicated task.

Most Japanese and Korean cars store their mileage in an EEPROM chip soldered to the instrument panel circuit, not the car's main computer. BMW & Mercedes make it the most difficult to change but they can be changed too.

You need a variety of software programs from the car manufacturer or after market software may work for some cars - and a plethora of different connectors which connect to the either the serial or USB port of your laptop.

actually, i have come to find that the guys who do not roll back mileage are the exceptions. i have been into almost every dealership between POP, Santiago, Moca, and La Vega...very few are giving true mileages. i can name those who i am sure are giving ALMOST true numbers, but i will not name names. most of the guys selling K5, Y20, N20, and LPI, are a bunch of comedians with the rollbacks..

Jan 9, 2004

Or you just need a phone, a connection and some good software;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKkschfvq8

There is no technology currently out there that can prevent odometer fraud...............but there is technology out there that can detect the true mileage on a car and is used by those who buy hundreds of cars weekly and may suspect an odometer has been tampered with.

It is expensive handheld equipment and will not be found on any of the run of the mill $99 OBD scanners available on the internet or at your local auto parts store. It is an indispensable tool for those in the business.

My dealer clients in both the DR and the US use it regularly when a car is brought to them for trade or sale.........and they cannot obtain a Carfax/Autocheck (which also are not foolproof).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
we have been down this road many times, and every single occasion brings out playacaribe, telling us about his clients who all have this píece of forensic equipment, which can detect odometer rollback electronically.

so, in the interest of full disclosure, since nowhere on the internet ther appears any information or conversation about this piece of equipment, maybe playacaribe can tell us what it is, and who makes it. heck, a make and model number might be in order.

that way, us guys with the 100 dollar scanners, or 200 dollars, in my case, can get a piece of ''indispensable'' equipment to add to our toolkits.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
actually, i have come to find that the guys who do not roll back mileage are the exceptions. i have been into almost every dealership between POP, Santiago, Moca, and La Vega...very few are giving true mileages. i can name those who i am sure are giving ALMOST true numbers, but i will not name names. most of the guys selling K5, Y20, N20, and LPI, are a bunch of comedians with the rollbacks..
My rule of thumb is if a car isn't a trailer queen or was unable to be driven for a long period (that might be a clue).
Is figure 700-1200 miles per month - say 12,000 per year. So a 10 year old vehicle should have 120,000 miles (193,000 km).

There are exceptions - people with company cars or like my aunt who lived in a small town in Oklahoma who probably drove 300 miles a month

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, and if you could guys focus on answering the actual question instead of circle jerking again that would be nice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you can address the OP please do so. otherwise save your post for other threads related to cars in DR.
thanks.