Windshield Replacement - Santiago - $3,400 Pesos

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just had my windshield replaced this morning on my 1993 Toyota.

Cost: $3,000 pesos plus $400 pesos for a new rubber seal.
Old rubber seal was 26 years old and kinda dried out.

Amazing good price... paid close to $300 in U.S. to have one done.
Only $68 U.S. here and took just under an hour.

They even managed to get the marbete sticker off the old and placed on the new windshield.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Name of the business?

Have to do the same on a 2000 LR Discovery we try to restaurate :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just had my windshield replaced this morning on my 1993 Toyota.

Cost: $3,000 pesos plus $400 pesos for a new rubber seal.
Old rubber seal was 26 years old and kinda dried out.

Amazing good price... paid close to $300 in U.S. to have one done.
Only $68 U.S. here and took just under an hour.

They even managed to get the marbete sticker off the old and placed on the new windshield.
I suspect these are the same ones who replaced the gigantic windshield of out E350 15-passenger heavy duty van for $RD9000 including new seal...and moving the marbete to boot.

And did an excellent job.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's hard to believe you can even buy a windshield for $68 - much less to have it replaced including a seal. I wonder if they're some cheap Chinese brand that will shatter in an accident?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It's hard to believe you can even buy a windshield for $68 - much less to have it replaced including a seal. I wonder if they're some cheap Chinese brand that will shatter in an accident?
Image from windshield (I added white background for clarity)

1sihc2.jpg

The AS number stands for American Standard, and is “AS” (or “American Standard”) followed by a number indicating the position in which the glass may be used, based on its optical quality.

AS1 is the clearest glass (at least 70% light transmission), is laminated, and can be used anywhere in a motor vehicle (typically just the windshield)

DOT563 SHENZHEN AUTOMOTIVE GLASS MANUFACTURING P.R.O.C., CHINA

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

1sihc2.jpg

The AS number stands for American Standard, and is “AS” (or “American Standard”) followed by a number indicating the position in which the glass may be used, based on its optical quality.

AS1 is the clearest glass (at least 70% light transmission), is laminated, and can be used anywhere in a motor vehicle (typically just the windshield)

Amazing. Simply amazing. I'm looking to replace a cracked headlight assembly and the cheapest I've found so far is $75 - and it's plastic!

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013

1sihc2.jpg

Shenzhen is an industrial capital of replicas. I've been there and I wouldn't trust that AS (American Standard) as being authentic.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

Probably. Our neighbor told us he became suspicious when he wanted to replace only the windshield rubber seal of his 2006 BMW....and they offered to remove (and keep) his windscreen glass ( original BMW , manufactured by PPG , I think ) ..worth at least $300 usd.
He said they were going to replace it with their “ new and better “ windscreen for only 4,500 pesos. Go figure.