Working in timeshare

mariposa4614

Mar 15, 2019
Hi everyone!

I am Swiss and living since 3.5 years in Bavaro, working in the same job. I do the bookkeeping for a German company and some other administration work. I work form 8.30am to 5.00pm / M- F and have a fix salary of 1'600 USD. I do not really like what I am doing and would like to work more with ppl (clients, customers, tourists). I know some people that work in timeshare and they make quite good money (between 2'000 - 10'000). I was wondering if they are just the few lucky ones or if it is in general a job where you can earn good money. I must say that all of them work in the Hard Rock (Legendary). Maybe in other vacation clubs and timeshares the commissions are lower... I am thinking about to try it out, but my goal is that I at least can earn 1'600 (my current salary). Is that realistic? I am fluent in German, English and my Spanish is also getting better everyday. I do not have any experience in timeshare, but I have a degree in national- and business economy and marketing.

I am female, 25y/o, have cedula

Has anyone another idea what I could work in Bavaro with a min. wage of 1600 USD/month, working with ppl?

Thanks!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
As far I know timeshare = no salary and no sales, no money.

I would not let a job that pays you 1600 US fix in DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As mentioned above, if you are lucky you get a very small base salary and the bulk of your earnings are based on a commission which is essentially a percentage of your sales.

Be aware however, if you do not meet your sales targets, you won't have a job for very long. The company wants only people who are earning the company money. If that is not you, then they will try someone else.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Bookkeeping is not exactly the same as time share selling. Watch the movie "Tin Men", or even better "Glengarry Glen Ross" then you have an idea what hard selling is all about.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I met people that work in timeshares selling, You can make alot of money but you have to be a hard seller and not have any feelings because you are basically robbing people legally, The people I know have no moral problem with that, money is all that matters to them.

I agree with that statement. The do not have set prices for a reason and want you to make a decision that day.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Its a dirty business but you live in a dirty corrupt country

The skills you learn and the hardening of your conscience will set you up for success in life. Working with snakes and vipers in Santo Domingo has made life in the civilized world seem like child's play.

That being said your job sounds like its worth 20 000 pesos a month. You are overpaid for what you do, you might want to ride it out a little bit longer before you jump into the lions den.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I met people that work in timeshares selling, You can make alot of money but you have to be a hard seller and not have any feelings because you are basically robbing people legally, The people I know have no moral problem with that, money is all that matters to them.

I have to agree with you, and this is definitely not country-specific. I've heard of timeshare sellers on both sides of the Atlantic and their reputation is always the same.

I recall when I was a kid, my parents used to go frequently listen to these sellers of a particular company for all the gifts and free stuff they got from it. My dad just told us that they just turned off their brain for 3 hours, made sure to sign nothing, and left the place loaded with gifts... And it was not like my parents were looking for them, they were harassing my parents to set an appointment with them, and they just agreed for the gifts...